Nioh
  • Thats not what you need. On nioh 1 i would follow the lead of the player whos game i was joining.

May just order this now if i can find a good price for it getting bored of RDR2.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Nioh 2 is the game that keeps on giving! 

It took me 120 hours to see the credits. Now that sounds like a massive investment, and it is. Sure you can bee-line it through the main missions, kill the big boss and be done in half that time. But i chose to clear every part of every map, and none of it felt like filler or fodder.

Then you hit NG+. The same missions (some slightly remixed), but now you're experienced, you can refine your build, tweak it, and within a couple of missions you're upgraded and can feel the power of your choices. Now you're running rampant through those early levels that gave you so much grief first time round, and its pure gaming joy! 

Its definitely not how games should be structured. But the jump from gritted determination to easy-breeezy is sooooooo satisfying. And don't get me wrong, NG+ (aka Way of The Strong) is very difficult compared to NG, its just the options available to you are a reward for having played the game this long. Some have said the first playthrough is like your extended tutorial, and in some ways it is.

Not many people have the time nor inclination to deal with a game like this or what i've described above. Nioh 1 or 2 can be enjoyed without the endgame in mind as self-contained experiences and they are brilliant games, no doubt. But if you dare to delve deeper, you may find yourself obsessed too. And i hate to make the comparison, but with no Souls on the horizon, maybe give Team Ninja a chance. They've come a long way. 

And this game. The sequel especially is utterly sublime!
  • This is now £27 on amazon. Gonna bite.

Nice writeup curtis. With my time constraints it will be one playthrough for me.

Whats online like? You been helping out other players?
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Torii Gate is always busy if you're looking to help others. The hosts are always a mixed bag - some know what they're doing, some are utterly clueless. 

I don't know what its like summoning randoms to help in your game because i've only been inviting people off my friends list. But the online aspect is flawless like in the original game, and i hope FromSoftware are paying attention.

A new update dropped today to celebrate 1M copies sold, which is quite something for such a niche title on PS4 only. They added 9 new missions and a few other bits & bobs.

DLC 1 is coming July 30th. And their DLC is always substantial, especially for endgame players who are looking for the next difficulty bump.
  • I'm gonna be waiting for the PC release for this as I have a pal who will be interested in doing some co-op stuff. Looking forward to it, as I only finished Nioh (sort of) earlier this year.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I'm a huge fan of the original, but this game is a massive step up in all the directions you want from a sequel. 

PC ports normally mean stable framerates = better experience etc, but this shit runs at a steady 60fps on PS4 Pro, and still looks lovely depsite the 1080p. 

Anyway, great games are great games regardless of graphical fidelity, and this is a peach! But its gonna need all your time and attention like i posted above. If you put in the work, you'll find it satisfies beyond just beating a game.
  • The first DLC came out last week. Anyone playing?

I've just started. Getting the hang of the new weapon type and making a bit of progress through the first mission. I was only level 120, which is the recommended level to start, so should be in for a decent challenge. It's good to be back.
  • I loved the first Nioh but never finished it. The loot game was bloated and tiresome. Does Nioh 2 still have that garbage instant death mechanic when you fall in water??
  • JonB wrote:
    The first DLC came out last week. Anyone playing?

Nah, all the real Samurai are busy playing Ghost of Tsushima.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Its on my list to play, nioh 2 that is.
  • Started the first one. Seems good. Pretty diablo in the streets, souls in the sheets it seems.

Weird pace to the start, with a longish opening at the tower of london, a tute, then the start in the far east with tute info as well.

Still, good to know. Loving the stances.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Its a very good game, shame it doesnt get the love that the Souls series gets. It has the best combat mechanics of this generation. Still not played nioh2 yet.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Nioh 2 somehow manages to improve almost every aspect of an already excellent game. 

A perfect sequel.
  • Nioh Remastered 1 & 2 coming to PS5 in Feb. Nioh 2 also coming to PC at the same time.
  • Very excited about Nioh 2 for PC. Get in!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Nioh Remastered 1 & 2 coming to PS5 in Feb. Nioh 2 also coming to PC at the same time.

Weird timing, I was thinking about this when I was having a bad time with that Star Wars Fallen Order. The combat in this felt more responsive and deliberate with the stances and weapon choices etc and there was a heft to it that I missed from the flimsy flailing of the Jedi.

I only played the demo of the first Nioh and never got round to buying it, so the remaster versions would be good for me depending on price of course.
  • Damn it why didnt i look at this thread before i commited some of my voucher to the ps4 version i have to get from cex later today? Could have just held off for ps5 version of nioh 2.

Hopefully this series would get more love on ps5. Its strange as it is part of the souls subgenre (is there a specific genre name now for soulslike games?) but it doesnt attract the level of audience the souls games do. The co-op campaign drop in drop out stuff is really well done. Especially on nioh1.

So i have:
    Detroit become Human
    Prey Moonshot dlc
    Alien Isolation
    Destiny 2
    And now this on the go. I loved nioh1 combat mechanics so i could get addicted to this. No doubt i will be in here soon moaning about some tough boss battles.
  • Is there a free update to the PS5 version if you've got it on PS4? It's out later this week.
  • Cheers jonb. Thats saved the day. Might just hold back on playing it for awhile and finish other games off first. If i cant resist the temptation.

"...The Nioh Collection on PS5, which bundles together Nioh Remastered, Nioh 2 Remastered, and all of the DLC for both games in a next-gen package with a fresh coat of paint. If you already own Nioh 2 or any of its DLCs on PS4, you'll be able to upgrade to the PS5 versions for free when the collection launches February.."
  • Created my character wasted too much time on this. Mysteriously lost an eye. Also has some protection stuff tattooed all over her face.

20210203-203204.jpg
  • Fuck me this is hard from the first 30 seconds onwards. Bloody gozuki with a giant club. So close to killing him a few times now. Then thought run past. Oh a reverant grave. Lets summon one. Bastard knocked me into the water.

Went with dual hatchets and switchglaive. Not sure about them yet.
  • The Gozuki is optional. Maybe come back later in the level when you're a bit stronger.

Switchglaive is super. Like a Bloodborne weapon.
  • Do you still fall to your death if you go in the water like the first game??
  • Do you still fall to your death if you go in the water like the first game??

Yep.

@jonb what weapon combo did you use through the game?

Yeh i know he optional, but hes close to a respawn point and im so rusty so its good practise (almost killed him a few times). Plus i have been activating reverant graves so i an build up a stock of ochoko cups.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Pick two weapons that get their added parameters from the same stats.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    When's this out on PC? Not like I need another game but I loved the first one.
  • It's out tomorrow!
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Oh dear...
  • Curtis wrote:
    Pick two weapons that get their added parameters from the same stats.

Cheers Curtis. I was very tired last night when i tried to play. Would really like the day off today so i can curl up on the sofa and play this all day. Sigh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!