Mixed media.
  • It's currently 80% off on Steam so I've been playing Zombie Army Trilogy, starting with the third logy, as I heard it was much better.

I'm really enjoying it, one note gameplay but shooting zombie Nazis is a satisfying note. Also noteable note wise is the decent synth soundtrack, not Carpenter quality but some decent vibes. Graphics are decent enough and it runs really smoothly. It's a B-Game through and through, but very atmospheric, tightly focused and fun.

I'm also reading All Quiet on the Western Front, which is pretty amazing but they're blending together in my dreams in a strange way. It's weird and perhaps disrespectful of the fallen but it's also surreal and excellent.

So a thread about the weirdness that occurs when your brain mixes things together, does anyone else have that happen? It'll be a short thread if not.
  • 2 specific memories that stick out - both I'm sure I've mentioned the past, but maybe long ago now:

1. Daft Punk and Shenmue.

My brothers have always relied on me for game advice. One came to me and asked what games he should be getting for his Dreamcast. I had heard good things about Shenmue so I suggested that. Apparently you can do anything, even look in drawers, I said.

At Christmas he received Shenmue. He also received Daft Punk's Discovery. He played it on repeat while we played Shenmue - me handling what to do next, him doing the fightman stuff. Many days (or was it weeks) later we were done, we hadn't changed CD the whole time.

2. Bjork and the GC Resident Evil remake (plus Lava lamp).

One Christmas I got sick. Not sniffle sick, proper sick. I had the flu from hell - I couldn't think straight, my muscles hurt and I felt like shit, basically. An uncle got me the Bjork: Greates Hits CD - I was basically snapping up everything she made by this point, no matter how many versions there were, and I also received Resi from my parents, plus the lava lamp from my half-sister.

Long story short. I was half out-of-it, lights off, lava lamp on, listening to Bjork on repeat (this seems to be a theme) while playing Resi on the GC which at that point, it must be said, was one of the most gob-smackingly good looking games ever. I played the game and completed it in one sitting.

When I recovered I played it again, more aware of what the hell I was doing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Did you just mis-count to two?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I do recall playing Rolling Thunder on the MegaDrive years ago, and having a Live album on in the background which had a lyric that mentions rolling thunder, so they're now inextricably linked
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I can feeeel it, comin' back again, like a Rolling Thunder chasing the wind.

I'd forgotten all about Live as they erupted into seismic shitness, but I remember listening to Throwing Copper loads.
  • Not games related but I cant hear metallicas master of puppets album without remembering the smell of games workshop paints. Was my go-to paint music.

Throwing copper flashes me back to doom on the pc. Got both the same day and rinsed them quite heavily that night. Agreed that live didn't amount to a hill of beans but throwing copper is a damn good slice of American rock.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The Field From Here We Go Sublime and Just Cause 2.  Can't have one wihout the other.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not sure how old we all are but I'm guessing similar as we have the same memories, that one song made Live, and as much as we go might now go on about grunge, it was really only them and Nirvana that found chart success, one gets idolised the other gets reviled. Probably rightly so, but I Alone and Lightning Crashes were brilliant slices of pop dressed up as something else. Oh well, I think I'll put some tad or soundgarden on instead
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Not sure how old we all are but I'm guessing similar as we have the same memories, that one song made Live, and as much as we go might now go on about grunge, it was really only them and Nirvana that found chart success, one gets idolised the other gets reviled. Probably rightly so, but I Alone and Lightning Crashes were brilliant slices of pop dressed up as something else. Oh well, I think I'll put some tad or soundgarden on instead

Maybe in Europe but in America, Pearl Jam was the big grunge band sales wise - Vs was a monster follow up sales wise. Also, I know they weren't strictly grunge but there was a sizable following for bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Red Hot Chilli Peppers (mellon collie was huge if I remember right) in Europe as well, and REM sometimes got lumped in as well. Given how very small it actually was, grunge did have a massive impact. Don't forget we also got new grunge (for want of a better term) with the likes of Bush, silverchair and (sort of) offspring who did quite well in the charts.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Did you just mis-count to two?

:(
  • I have an odd couple. In college there was a brief period that I  played Nocturne. And Eminem and Dido were huge at the time. Im not sure if a housemate was playing that track Stan while I was in my room on Nocture but whenever I hear that song I remember playing Nocturne in a dark room with rain pelting the window.

Another one also involves Eminem curiously. I think it was the Official Playstation Mag had a demo of Tombi. I played the shit out of that demo, often with Eminem playing in the background. I think it was mainly his track that was a bunch of stories,cant remember the name now.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Live still have a big, and weirdly obsessive, fanbase. I went to see them a few years ago expecting a small-ish gig cashing in on a bit of nostalgia. It was rammed – probably a couple of thousand people – the setlist was primarily new material, and the crowd were a bunch of rabid fans. Full-on hero-worship adulation. I was really, really surprised. It was all a bit Grateful Dead, really.
  • I love a bit of grunge.  So much so that I'm gonna shoehorn an Amped reference in here so I don't derail the thread too much - I painstakingly ripped a monster Seattle-ish mix onto my Oldbox for occasional snowboarding between regular smoke breaks.  B sides, Unplugged selections, Christmas singles, guest appearances, tribute show appearances, Judgement Night shenanigans - it was an absolute whopper.  Probably spent 50hrs on that game (probably 6hrs creating playlists).  Good as it was, without the custom soundtracks I doubt I would have clocked 5hrs.
  • my first CD was 'songs of distant earth' by Mike Oldfield, and I'd often have that on repeat play at the same time as playing SWOS on the Amiga.  An odd pairing but stuck together for me now.

there was also an album i listened to when playing 'little big adventure' on the PC...funnily enough when i hear the album i think of the game, but now just thinking of the game i can't remember the album! :)  but the memory of the memory is stuck in my head, since the game isn't that important to me, but whenever i heard the music it was always a shock how vividly the game would come back to mind.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Did the same with project Gotham. Do games still allow customized soundtracks?
    SFV - reddave360
  • You could do it on 360 through your PC or a USb stick.  Not sure if you can without Spoitify on the recent consoles.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!