Bin pickers, Boot dippers and Bargain hunters
‹ Previous12
  • It's that time of year when up and down the country people sacrifice their Sunday morning lay ins, leave the flock of their churches and pay £2 to look around other people's crap in a field.

That's right it is...

CAR BOOT SALE SEASON

As the season is upon us I thought it would good to have a thread where we share bargains we find IRL.
    Forget about Gumtree scams and waiting for eBay auctions to end while your mates are at the pub.
    Get elbows deep in boot sale bargains, charity shop finds, loot some skips and try to avoid offending anyone at house clearances.

Then share your wares here.

Can be games, cds, books, trinkets or whatevs.
  • Currently hooked on buying CDs in charity shops. Bought another 7 at lunch today from  Oxfam.

Will Smith - Switch single
    The Streets - A Grand dont come for free
    All Saints - All Saints
    Whitney Houston - My Love is Your Love
    Rhianna - Pon de Replay single (with free polyphonic ringtone!)
    Lauren Hill - Miseducation
    Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty

quid each :D
  • You want to know what I have bought from a car boot sale, do you?
  • Was it a car?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Outrun?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Sillys. Griff doesnt buy things second hand.
    His answer will be either "nothing" or "laughs at poor people".

I got a leather bucket chair off the street the other day. Had a sign on it saying to help yourself.
    Bit of boot polish and some leather treatment and it looks like new. Found 6p and a rubber lizard down the side of it as well.
  • I recently bought 45 CDs from RetroK's uncle at a quid each before he took them to a boot sale.  I was in a rush when I was selecting them, so I probably ended up with 15 I don't really want (and a Not-Elvis Jive Bunny type thing managed to sneak into the 'yes' pile), but there were some bargainous compilations in there.
  • Don't know many of those CDs Live, but Hello Nasty is cracking. Bargain for £1.
  • Lol fogot Jive Bunny was a thing
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Found loads of decent card in a bin, well I never, my mate did. Then we realised it wasn't fit for purpose so we put it back
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Before my dad moved onto his boat our front room looked like the moleman's cavern.  He held onto every piece of dead relative's furniture he got his hands on, and things like ('perfectly good') rusty bicycles were making their way onto the pile, which he'd found walking the dog.  One day we woke up to find an 8ft plastic Lower Sydenham sign in amongst the junk, which he'd pulled from the railway line after some youths had chucked it on...then carried it 1/4 of a mile home to keep. There was a narrow path to the TV, which he sat on the floor in front of (not on the sofa, which was held up with bricks - there wasn't room).  One of his mottos became 'there's no such thing as a bad scotch', and the ceiling above the spot in front of the sofa had traces of a burgeoning pipe patch.  We also had no hot water or central heating for 4 or 5 years from around 1999, and heated baths on the hob.

All of the above started after he spent £7 on Status Quo/Genesis cds in Oxfam.
  • Haha.
    Your Dad and my Dad would get on. Although mine is pretty good at DIY, almost to a fault.
    It's like he invents "jobs that need doing".
    To be fair it keeps him fit.
  • Car boot sale today.

Haul included.

1x Borat's guide to Kazakhstan book - 50p
    6x CD Singles - 60p
    1x Peroni drip tray/drainer. Nice brushed alluminium thing. £2
    1x Cabinet mountable bottle opener - 50p

The real find though was a bowling ball.
    Perfect weight and finger size for myself. Came in a proper leather bag with metal support frame. Only when I got it home I realised it also had a pair of bowling shoes inside as well. A few score cards stuffed inside suggest it has sat in a cupboard since 1974. Really cool retro-curio.
    £8

:D
  • We should donate a tenner every Sunday to see what random crap Live buys for the thread.  At the end of the year he has to film himself trying to sell it all back to the public at a boot sale.  If he makes less than £10 he has to do a forfeit decided by DS.
  • He has to forfeit DS.
  • A bit harsh making him forfeit his son.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I would easily make back the money.
    Someone rent me a stall in a trendy London market.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Id just make you eat cheetos or something cos you're adorable
  • Charity shops in small seaside towns often have great vinyls for 50p or a quid, half my record collection comes from charity shops. It's also nice to find really old/weird/foreign stuff that isn't on iTunes and will probably never be sold digitally.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I bought an adult pogo stick from a local charity shop for £5 this weekend. Not sure why. Maybe because it's a pretty cool piece of adjustable shiny metal. My record stands and 3.5 pogos.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    and a half??
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I thought maybe you poed but it didn't go, something along those lines
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Careful of the old family jewels Syph.
  • I've got 2 already. If the jewels go, it's just saving on the inevitable op.
  • Id just make you eat cheetos or something cos you're adorable
    DS got my back.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Likelihood of bin dipping tomorrow, 75%- will report back
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Low odds for a scouser.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Racist
  • Does anyone want to see a photo of me looking for a cheque in our wheelie bin about ten years ago?  I didn't hear my wife sneak out with the camera so she captured the bin raiding element of surprise quite well.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!