Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Other than peacoats I'm generally of the opinion that double-breasted can get to the very fuck, on men of any build.

We had a lecturer at uni that wore a blue double breasted jacket with little shiny brass buttons that had an anchor motif on them. Thinking back, that was probably the only thing I genuinely enjoyed whilst there.

Also, I've had an Alpha Industries peacoat in their store's shopping basket for about 6 months now, need to man up and click buy, hang the postage.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm with Mr B on that one. If you're buying first suits then grab a dark charcoal, a navy, brown, black. In that order unless you have a funeral to go to soon or are a croupier
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If anyone is suit shopping for the first time head to a Slaters, they're in most big towns.

http://www.slaters.co.uk/

They'll do the whole "dress to the left or right" bit with staff who know their stuff and know how to find a suit that fits, have a massive selection of styles and brands in all price ranges.
  • I went to Moss Bros, what I got seemed fairly alright I guess. I'm no expert.
  • Got mine sorted at John Lewis, I worked there at the time mind.
  • I was going to get my last suit from JL but they were out of stock so i went over the road to moss bross (oxford st) and picked up a deal.

Cockbeards on some good advice there. The only caveat to that is that if you have a black suit its more durable and you can probably pull it out for a wedding without looking to stupid.

At the moment i'm running a dark blue, charcoal, blue pinstripe, grey pinstripe and 2 blacks. I seem to have amassed quite a few although the grey pinstripe is on its way out. My latest black was a nicely cut suit my best mate bought us all for his wedding (best man) so all the ushers got one. I really like it and that came from moss bross too iirc.

I would also advise that if you are going to wear the same suit fairly often then buy a 2nd pair of trousers at the same time. Otherwise they go quite quickly between the legs. And most importantly to get something which you feel comfortable in (over how it looks). Shoulder area seems important to me in terms of how it feels. In terms of how it looks, depending on your shape - slim cuts (hugo boss etc) look snazzy, make sure the arms aren't too long (can you see the edge of your short cuffs?) and you should be good.

Another tip, ask for deals, i got 35% off because i bought two suits which ended up being decent revenue for you. Admittedly one was quite expensive but had i been buying two cheapish suits i reckon i'd still have got 10-15% off.

Lastly, someone else wrote something akin to it before me but i've had some friends go on business trips to thailand and India and bought 5 suits when there just because they're about 70 pounds each as opposed to the 200+ here.

Dont buy a suit from burtons/officers something/next unless you want to look like someone from Phoneshop.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Must admit, since picking up my made-to-measure on the cheap, it's proving difficult for me to go back to off-the-peg, just doesn't seem as comfortable or sharp.

Anyone tried these guys, or an outfit similar? Price seems decent enough.
  • I can highly recommend these guys if you want made to measure suits...

BTC Clothing

Very good quality, not fabulously expensive and periodically do some deals.  I picked up a couple of suits and a jacket for 900 quid a round 6 months ago.
  • I need new shoes (see the weird thread). I'm wearing hugo boss flats which i've worn out and my oxfords are brutal on my feet. Need something light for the summer. Any ideas?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It used to be really hard to find tan shoes, they're everywhere now.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    At the expense of oxblood, which slightly saddens me. I wanted to replace some oxblood shoes and now have tan
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'd like a fitted peacoat, but can I find one?  No, is the answer.  I've not really looked to be fair.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard wrote:
    At the expense of oxblood, which slightly saddens me. I wanted to replace some oxblood shoes and now have tan

All of yous needing a good selection of lace-ups and boots could do worse than try Pediwear.
  • I hate Slater's.  It's full of pervy men who lie in wait and then pounce on you the moment you go through the door.  Convenient for work shirts though.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I hate Slater's.  It's full of pervy men who lie in wait and then pounce on you the moment you go through the door.  Convenient for work shirts though.

Stop being so attractive then..
  • They want his man ham
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Mannheim?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Thanks Mr B, I like Loakes, but often above what I'm prepared to pay, though they pay for themselves after a couple of years. May invest once house squared away
  • Can't go too sour with a well-made pair of leather somethings. My black Trickers Stow have served me well for a good number of years now, even sans commando soles.
  • I am going to really struggle if I have to wear anything "proper" for work.  I haven't bought a suit since 2002.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I do not own a suit, nor have I ever owned a suit and I have worn a suit just the once in 32 years.  I plan to persist with this suitless approach.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Suits you sir.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ooh!
  • I need a new suit. Off to a wedding in August (one of Mrs Dare's uni pals) then both my brothers are getting married in December and March / April. The kicker is that they both decided on Hong Kong...
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I hate Slater's.  It's full of pervy men who lie in wait and then pounce on you the moment you go through the door.  Convenient for work shirts though.

You appear to be confusing Slater's with a sketch from the Fast Show.
  • Dan_Dare wrote:
    I need a new suit. Off to a wedding in August (one of Mrs Dare's uni pals) then both my brothers are getting married in December and March / April. The kicker is that they both decided on Hong Kong...

We need pics, I remember your first suit escapade.
  • Was that 'New Suit Punks' on the magenta-rum?
  • adored wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    You appear to be confusing Slater's with a sketch from the Fast Show.

Unfortunately, it's the staff there that are making that mistake.
  • Replace all suiting with slightly ceremonial robes. We're never going to get that Star Wars future if we don't start dressing the part.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!