Motorcycle road racing - NW200 and Isle of Man TT
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Being a denizen of N.Ireland I can appreciate the economic impact of the NW200. Usually >100,000 people go and see this sporting spectacle. The skills on display are pretty impressive - some were officially clocked at over 200mph this year.

A 20 year was killed this year at the NW200. Now a 58 year old has been killed at the TT.

I'm not on the banning side of the argument re these events, and not being in the biking community "don't understand it", but I am slightly uncomfortable that these events come round every year and more or less every time someone's son/husband/brother/father gets killed, and others are making money off it.  

A 20 year old getting killed is a tragedy no matter how you look at it,  but what the fuck is a 58 year old doing tearing around the TT circuit? It's akin to a 58 year old boxer being allowed to continue. The reactions simply could not be there. These guys won't give it up and allowing them to take part is irresponsible as they could take others out too (a few were injured in the crash that killed this guy).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • There isn't really big money in it, the riders do it for passion. It's their choice and definitely doesn't need regulating or people messing about with it.
    Obviously health and safety should be there to react to a crash.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The North of Ireland and the Isle of Man benefit from the crowds - in fact its partly a key factor in the local economy (it's certainly the case in the North coast).
  • Oh for sure, I have family over there so know about how big it is. I meant the riders themselves, it's not like they are leant on to ride like a big name boxer might be to fight for $10mil purses.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Over 270 people have died trying to climb Everest. People will always want to push themselves to the limit. Occasionally they go beyond their limit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The issue I have is putting others in peril. If at 58 you want to be a dick and wrap yourself around a lampost go ahead - but he nearly took 3 other people out.

I suppose those 3 were another rider and 2 stewards so they know the risks but fuck me.

I believe Blessed is to tackle Everest again at 80. Amazing.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    What were those other three people doing??

I'm pretty certain they weren't popping down Lidl for donuts, or wobbling home from the pub face buried in a kebab

Not saying anyone deserves to be put in danger, but if you go to watch motorsport, especially at that lower level, and want to get close to the action then yo uknow the risks, hell that's the reason you want to be close to it, that danger is the excitement that fans crave
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    48 killed in N.Ireland since 1939. That isn't actually as bad as I reckoned it would be. That's 0.84 per year.

240 at the TT over a 100 year period which is a lot worse but then that's a bigger event.

I guess other sports such as mountaineering, base jumping etc are as bad but they don't get the exposure.

It's that 58 year old. Strikes me as someone who intended to go that way.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I see your points though, and given the clamour about horse fatalities and Aintree, it is a wonder why there isn't more made of these figures
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like the fact that these bonkers races are allowed but some of those riders really shouldn't be competing.
  • It's TT week here. I get a day off next Friday.
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got the weather for it. It was glorious on the North Coast for the NW200.
  • We have indeed.

They're already dropping like flies too.

We used to do a pub sweep stake on the number of deaths over TT fortnight.
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Forgot about TT sidecars......

Bonkers.
  • davyK wrote:
    Forgot about TT sidecars...... Bonkers.

Yeah and one was killed today.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Maybe they should have an egg and spoon race instead.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Won't somebody think of the eggs.
  • i was watching a bit of this last night...it's actually quite terrifying just watching them whizzing through the streets, just expecting someone to be splattered against a wall at any moment.
    then there was a doco about Joey Dunlop, he was pretty nifty round the TT.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Events like the TT are probably the pinnacle of motor sport with respect to technical expertise. The speed these guys get up to on public roads with bumps and kerbs - the accuracy with which they navigate those is breathtaking by the way - is astounding. That's not even factoring in the risk associated with it - lamp posts, trees etc - some have padding attached but the risk is still significantly higher than track racing as there are no run off areas, gravel traps etc.
  • it's just mental.  the 'lap' is almost 38 miles, just trying to remember the different corners must be insane...then the superbikes do 6 laps, at an average of nearly 130mph.
    utter nutters.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I've been driving it for 20 years and couldn't tell you how they do it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dunlop makes first sub 17min lap.

Exhausting just to watch.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    NW200 weekend.

First race day today. The big bikes top 200mph on the straights. Mental.

Not something I follow but it's a massive deal here - 80-100,000 visitors over the weekend usually.

Think I'll boot up good old Manx TT on the Saturn this evening. I can smell Fish & Chips when I play that........ I remember when arcades were a thing and Sportsland in Portrush - seaside town around which the NW200 is centered -  had Manx TT machines linked up - used to have massive queues made up of the biker spectators :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!