God of War
  • Kow wrote:
    Meh, it has a fairly similar look and feel to it.

It's halfway between the two franchises you mentioned, the comparison is fair I just think it's vastly superior to Horizon.  It's currently my non-indie GotY, I also prefer it to Breath of the Wild.  It gives you a huge game world without the in-between bobbins that take the shine off even the best of them.  The new God of War template could be used to make my ultimate 3D Zelda.
  • The way they have crammed in so much in such a (relatively) small space is genius. And the combat is fantastic. Yes you can just mash buttons, specially early on, but you’ll be making it boring for yourself. Three not that much repetition in my opinion.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Excellent game and true tech milestone... yet I was feeling the repetition in the back stretch.

Think it could have done with a few more enemy types and the bosses - mostly - weren't up to par with what's been done in the series to date, not just in terms of spectacle but re: complexity and excitement.
  • I think I said back when i finskhed it that for such a sprawling game it’s oddly economical. Which has its ups and downs.
  • I just finished the story and might pop back later to check out the later stuff.
    I think they did a good job with filling the world with stuff to find or solve. Even if the solutions were fairly simple I liked how it made you stop and look around the environments. Partly because it meant you took the time to admire the work that was done, something that the Uncharted games seem to lack a bit. Even the artifacts you find in those are usually just plonked somewhere off the path and you quickly pick it up and continue on your way.

For some reason it took me a bit to warm to GoW but I was into it by the end.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Meh, it has a fairly similar look and feel to it.
    It's halfway between the two franchises you mentioned, the comparison is fair I just think it's vastly superior to Horizon.  It's currently my non-indie GotY, I also prefer it to Breath of the Wild.  It gives you a huge game world without the in-between bobbins that take the shine off even the best of them.  The new God of War template could be used to make my ultimate 3D Zelda.

I feel the same. Horizon was too much of a sprawl and with not much interesting in the sprawl. This at least is rather linear and every trek off the main path generally results in equipment or runes or whatever that is superior to what you find if you just stick to the main route. Actual useful rewards for exploring, whodathunkit.
  • Ah fuck this game and how addictive it is. I was meant to go bed earlier cos need sleep, but just defeated the first of the 9 valkyries. Long way to go yet then.
  • They’re brutal...enjoy.
  • I’ve been looking forward to meeting them ever since seeing them mentioned in the trophy list. And even more since finding other references to them. 

Still another dragon to find. All amazingly created and animated. The level of polish Sony first party games have is phenomenal.

It all seems to be building up to a hopefully epic finale. My Boy keeps coming in and saying (after seeing references and me explaining a bit)
    Spoiler:
  • They’re brutal...enjoy.

You weren’t lying. 3 down. 

I very well might try to platinum this.
  • I've only done 2 so far.

No desire to get back to it but that'll likely change at some point.. mayber.
  • Not sure how long I've got left but still enjoying every session.  The single shot thing makes it more awkward for me to tear myself away, as I tend to see a cut-scene as a good place to call it a day in games, but the way it's handheld in this means I often push on for some reason.  Probably not played for less than 45mins at a time, might've edged over 2.5 at one point.  Great game, retail GotY so far.  
    Spoiler:
    No idea how long I've been playing, is there a stats page/game clock anywhere?
  • I’ve never found one. I’m guessing I’ve played well over 40 hours so far.

Think I’m near the end but the pull of extras is too strong. Although there’s probably a lot of grinding involved for one of the favours. And no game should ever have any grinding.
  • What about the obvious examples of games that should?
  • Obviously they shouldn’t.
  • It depends how you play I suppose.  You're not keen, but without 50-50 grinding that session's gonna be a letdown imho.
  • Boy!

I'm about 55% done. Got so damn close to (optional boss spoiler)
    Spoiler:

Story is good, gameplay is good, bloody beautiful lookin' too.

I have happily binged on this over the last two weekends and it's creeping into my weekday evenings too.
  • Boy!

I'm about 55% done. Got so damn close to (optional boss spoiler)
    Spoiler:

Story is good, gameplay is good, bloody beautiful lookin' too.

I have happily binged on this over the last two weekends and it's creeping into my weekday evenings too.

Glad you’re enjoying it so much - it really is an incredibly well-made game.
  • I’m on number 6 of those.
  • *gasp* the map says there's only 4! Must be 4 in Midgard then.

My armour and weaponry has got better so I'll probably go back and wipe the floor with that smug face next chance I get.
  • There are 9 I think. Says so in trophies list
  • Best fights of the game. So far.
  • Good video here by Mark Brown
  • Yeah intense encounters; must get back to stomping / getting stomped by them when this Snes mini enchantment I've been beguiled by sufficiently weakens.

Didn't find the other boss fights that memorable. I think SSM have set the stage here and are going to deliver some truly spectacular ones in the next game or two.
  • Man, I got hooked again. Did all the trials. Well, enough to unlock last one and beat that (easily), there is one I skipped. Just made me feel so badass and fucking unstoppable. Even Ragnarok can’t stop us now!

Think I’ll do that other trial tomorrow for completion (even though don’t need to) and then head bald to other area for some grinding for more loot and fights! Then continue story.

Might actually finish it this weekend. Mayber.
  • Can someone give me a little clue on where or how I get Anchor of Fog please? When I can be bothered again to farm Mist Echoes, I will also need 3 Anchors.
  • Niflheim according to google
  • Er yes... but I’ve gone round and round and round and not found any. Beaten everything there. :(

I’ll have another look. And then Google it.
  • Story done. Wow what a game!

Did last boss last night, was a bit disappointing from a combat point of view but good story character etc. Just did last action now and finished up. Good ending. All set up very well for a sequel I suppose.

Only one artefact missing, will Google it. And need to kill last Valkyrie and do Niflheim tears. That’s it.
  • Nice one, Elf. What a game, indeed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!