Spider-Man: Into the Arkham-Verse
‹ Previous123
  • image_spider_man-32154-3639_0001.jpg

Sony and Insomniac's blatant attempt to 'do an Arkham' with Spiderman was easily the most exciting thing at E3 for me this year.

Things we know:

- Biggest team Insomniac has ever had working on a game
    - Most ambitious Marvel game ever made
    - It's been in development for "quite some time"
    - It's not connected at all with the upcoming movie
    - It'll focus on both Peter Parker and Spider-man
    - PS4 exclusive and published by SIE
    - They aren't ready to talk about any release timeframe (although I'd expect it around the release of Homecoming next year).

Trailer (confirmed to be in-game) below.

BPYj9Sm.gif

ConventionalJitteryAmurminnow.gif
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • I'm pretty excited about this one. If that's properly in game in game then it'll at least look amazing
  • Yeah, that looks fucking awesome. Here's hoping it looks that good when it comes out, and the city has that kind of density to it :-)
  • I'm entirely in our out on the swinging mechanics. Nothing's even matched the PS2 games for that yet.

Nice lighting.
  • Not sure about the spunk stain logo but I guess they did want a proper teenage spidey.

Dammit I'm going to have to buy a PS4 at some point.
  • AJ wrote:
    I'm entirely in our out on the swinging mechanics. Nothing's even matched the PS2 games for that yet.

Was about to post the same.

The quality of a Spider-Man game depends massively on how they handle web slinging, how they handle momentum and whether the camera can keep up.

I don't doubt Insomniac for pretty-looking mayhem, but I've always found their action to play kinda...loose and as AJ mentioned Spider-Man 2 is still the high water mark for how Spidey feels to play with.

It's on the "we'll see" list.
  • Yeah, I'd spend hours on S2 just swinging about with no aim whatsoever. Really was perfect.

They need to nail that.

Didn't play it myself, but I'm told Sunset Overdrive had fun traversal, so there's hope I guess.

Do like the costume design tho. Very Insomniac and I reckon they're after making a very distinct Spidey look for the game, much like RS did with Batman.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I think it looks great, but I don't like the idea of a photorealistic Spiderman becoming 'canon'.

I suppose that time has come though, with Disney creating a new comicbook movie every two days...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    ConventionalJitteryAmurminnow.gif

This single screenshot is probably the best thing to come out of E3 this year for me...
  • Its giving me The Division pre release vibes real bad.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • And yet in terms of actual game play the leap to the second post on the right feels completely unrequired and doesn't really add anything apart from flash and possibly annoyance in game.. it reminds me of Ass Creed.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Its giving me The Division pre release vibes real bad.

As a game, it might end up brass', but I do like the photo real graphics.
    Still not sure about the art direction though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I thought they were bringing back the font for the PS4K (Neo, whatever)
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I assumed it was Sucker Punch developing this, given their long-standing relationship with Sony. But i have to say, Insomniac are a much better fit. Sunset Overdrive had fantastic city traversal. And their vibrant style matches the comic book source material to a tee.

All that being said, i have zero interest in a Spider-Man game, but it still looks great.
  • Bob wrote:
    And yet in terms of actual game play the leap to the second post on the right feels completely unrequired and doesn't really add anything apart from flash and possibly annoyance in game.. it reminds me of Ass Creed.

Assuming that's gameplay: I'm guessing it is a bit similar to Assassin's Creed in that the system just picks convenient surfaces to bounce off. I'm fine with that; performing the moves shown manually doesn't seem overly practical.
  • The worry is that it'll come with wisecracking soundbytes every time Spidey beats an enemy, which will get old quick.

Batman being silent outside of story elements is what made the Arkham games work so well.
  • AJ wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    And yet in terms of actual game play the leap to the second post on the right feels completely unrequired and doesn't really add anything apart from flash and possibly annoyance in game.. it reminds me of Ass Creed.
    Assuming that's gameplay: I'm guessing it is a bit similar to Assassin's Creed in that the system just picks convenient surfaces to bounce off. I'm fine with that; performing the moves shown manually doesn't seem overly practical.

Indeed. Apart from Ass Creeds movement is fucking awful.
  • spiderman 2 "the movie" game had the best web swinging. and it was sort of free roam arkham style, beat em up with ziplines way before arkham was real. also Batman having spider-sense makes more er, sense when he's spiderman, if that makes sense. 

in my dreams it's basically a remake of 2 with those fancy new graphics, some of those clips leave me hopeful. would be amazing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bouncing off stuff is what Spider-Man does so it's kind of keeping in his style. It wouldn't really be Spider-Man if he didn't do it.
  • I want him to make a sticky web with silk from his bum, catch Flyman and Gnatman in it and then eat them alive.
  • Spiderman: Arkham Asylum, but with cheery graphics and web-swinging, would be perfect.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • i know i have rose tinted goggles but i really feel Spiderman 2 was fairly close to the Arkham formula. Not quite as polished at the time. i know its graphics haven't aged well though.
  • The best thing about AA was the metroidvania level design.. not open world rubbish. I'm not sure that would translate well to Spiderman.
  • Truth. Knight was a bit of a mess once it all opened up.
  • well yes, level design was different but it had similar brawling ideas and upgradeable gadgets etc. 

there were linear missions too, but i feel the open worl manhattan suited spidermans abilities. chasing cars through the streets, saving balloons...
  • I'd love this to be good.
  • Same.  Haven't played one since the Neversoft original on PS1.  Could be fantastic if well executed.  If the combat is nimble but not too lightweight, the web slinging's fun and the villains are well chosen I'll be up for a day one purchase.
  • The Sinister Six seems the obvious choice, especially if they do a re-tread of the original story, so they have Spidey face them one after the other.

Basing off The Gauntlet/Grim Hunt would be pretty damn good as well, although you'd need a different finish.
  • Kow wrote:
    Bouncing off stuff is what Spider-Man does so it's kind of keeping in his style. It wouldn't really be Spider-Man if he didn't do it.

Aye, that's one of the things that improved with the Ultimate Spidey game (only other one with anything like proper swinging mechanics). The swinging wasn't quite as finessed, but your did feel bouncier.

The first movie game is often overlooked, but some of the indoor stealth/pseudo-puzzle bits worked well. They should bring those back to break things up a bit.
  • Also, since I won't get a full game from it, Spider-Gewn section please.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!