The Moving House Thread
  • nick_md wrote:
    Piss in it as an act of defiance, show that drain who's boss.
    First thing I tried bud. Didn't help.c
  • Saturday : booked the van for next Friday
    Sunday : packed a load of stuff ready to go
    Monday morning : paid the first months rent and the deposit
    Monday afternoon : get the call from the agent that the dickhead landlord went on holiday, didn't leave the heating on, and a pipe has burst ruining the house.

Absolutely devastated. We may not be too much out of pocket but I start work in three weeks and need to find somewhere to live. Fuck know what we're going to do. If the damage isn't too bad maybe I can get somewhere temporary and we can move in in a couple of months. Or we accept this one is gone and we start again.
  • Oh that's rotten luck mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh no :-( :-( how bad is the damage??
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That sucks.

Although, does this mean that the one with the snooker room is back on the cards?
  • This is the snooker room one. Apparently it's a right mess - they'd just had it refurbished as well. Although the snooker table is fine :)

No idea what we're going to do - depending on how bad it is it could be months. The family were staying in Bristol until July anyway so we COULD wait it out, but not sure where that leaves us for schools. And I still need to find somewhere just for me.

Or we start again but I don't see how we find somewhere for us all in 4 weeks time. 

So it looks like we'll need something temporary one way or another.

I'll speak to the agent and see what the score is tomorrow. If it's 3-4 months I'll probably wait it out, any longer and we'll have to sack it off. 

On the plus side - Enterprise let me cancel my van with no fee! Result.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Gonna have to move again soon (or extend lease) and for fun we decided to look at an actual house (in stead of apartment home) in Silverado. We fell in love with it. Silverado is a small village (1800 people) in the canyon, all houses are unique, wooden, all different colors and the people all seem to be old hippies. Lots of creative people, really friendly and a good community feel.

House is just 1 floor, big living room with some kinda fireplace, everything is thick wood, real nice kitchen, 3 extra rooms (bed rooms /spare rooms) and a tiny bathroom with a lovely blue bath that has these tiny feet. Outside area where you can barbeque (if we buy one). It's more or less everything we want.

It's just a bit pricey (well over $2000 a month), so we're considering moving in there with a colleague of B, we actually hang out with him quite often, also had him over with Christmas. Best thing is he has a husky, which would be my new friend during day time. We just spoke with him, and he's up for it. He's gonna talk about it with his parents first tonight and we'll have to decide tomorrow. I kinda feel the place might be gone by then, but we do have more options for nicer places than. Plus about this house is, is that one of the bedrooms is close in size to the place B's colleague is currently renting, so he'd still have a good private place.

Have people here done something like this / tips about how to do this? Moving in with an extra person I mean. I know a lot can go wrong, we need some kinda rules written down, about the dog (I'll be taking more care for her than he's currently doing, but he's still the owner so has to pay for food /vet), about privacy (some things I want to talk about with B are easier for me in Dutch, which could be uncomfortable for him) and loads of other things.

He still hasn't fully committed yet, and if this house doesn't come through we need to look for other places. It's gonna save both parties a lot of money, B and colleague can carpool and I'll have a friend to keep me company (we've talked about getting a dog before, but it raises rent and if we want to go camping for a weekend it's just not convenient. We took care of her a couple times before).

I'm pretty excited about it all, would be so nice to live in a place with some character, and the area is great, even has a creek next to it.
  • Agree everything that's possible to agree up front. Especially bills, but also chores.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    As part of a couple, I would run a mile from sharing a house/flat with a third person. But that might just be me.
  • We've only ever managed it in short bursts. Both times with folks who weren't around much. One was friend of a friend, and it eventually got long in the tooth even though he was almost never there.

Other times have been 6 month stints with one of my best friends. Given we've known each other 20+ years and she may as well be my sister it's worked OK.

But yeah, general rule, sharing is for 20 somethings.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Just curious, what were the things that got to you in the end?

And I'm not that far in my thirties at all... Neither is the other guy (same age as me, B's the old one).

We'll have to see what he says first today anyway. Since I can't work here, I'd be the one doing most of the chores (I'm off course not going into his room) and weekday cooking. We sure would have to make it clear I'm not his mom.

This house will probably be gone, but it would be so nice to live in something that's not as bland as all the apartment homes. It's like living in a really boring resort.
  • Basically nothing, there's just a bunch of micro things that come with someone being in your space.

I get up on a weekend, have a coffee, watch some ball. I'd have to interact with the guy for 2 seconds as he left. X100. Meh, time to go.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Even the thought of it makes me feel panicky.
  • I know friends who have been on both sides of it.

From the single person's perspective it can be tough feeling like they are invading space. Also any good house share is a democracy and it can feel like they are automatically out voted by the couple. Extremely awkward when the couple have an argument as most couples do at some point.

From the couple's point of view. It can be difficult to do the intimate things they may want to do. Snuggling up on the sofa for a romantic movie night or cooking a meal together gets interrupted by someone who may also want to use that space. Feeling like you can't just have that argument you need to have.

Decent people will always do their best to be accommodating of course but as Face says, things build up over time.
  • Definitely my idea of hell, but I guess everyone is different.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks for the input Face and Live, the guy canceled today in the end. Probably for the best.

Guess we have to extend our lease with 5 months in the current place, which is convenient but super boring. Very suburb. Hopefully we find something smaller and more affordable in Silverado, there was a place a couple months ago that we could have afforded, but we'd have to break lease.
    Urgh, I just want a garden and a barbeque. I don't even care that much how small the house is.

At least we met some people at the Silverado swap meet yesterday, the chili cook off is there in a few weeks so we might meet some people that could help us out.
  • I share your pain Nina.
    I like my place but it can be tough, Clay could really do with a proper garden and I would prefer to be a bit more separated from neighbours or at least have less moronic/selfish ones.
    Just signed a new mortgage so I am here for another 2 years then I plan to move on to somewhere better.
  • Meanwhile, our rental has been slowly splitting in half. Almost literally. Roof leak and now mould in floor. Have been given notice, generous amount of time, and they've dropped rental price while we find somewhere new.

They have said we don't need to give notice when we leave, just go when we find a place.

Thankfully, being a now older couple, finding places is easier. Found a private rental through local fb group in less than a week. Only went and looked at 4 houses total, and only one of them was FUCKING DEPRESSING.

Staying basically same area, but down to 2 bed from 3.

The decluttering will be fucking brutal.
  • Tough times Face but it sounds like your landlord has been pretty reasonable and you have some options.

Roof leak and mouldy floor in London would be a rent increase for not maintaining the property.
  • Coveting reasonable living conditions.
    That's a paddlin'.
    hqdefault.jpg
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Landlords here have been ok so far, but then Orange County is the opposite of run down, people have called it "piece of heaven", it's build like sim city, it's the perfect suburban area, golf courses everywhere, popular cars during the week range from BMW - Mercedes - Audi, weekends are for sports cars and jeeps. The sportier types all have bicycles that I could only dream off and I don't think anyone rides a second hand motorcycle here.

There are more interesting areas, Silverado is our favourite. Laguna Beach and Newport Beach are nice, but that's all bought by baby boomers or famous people. There's a creative vibe there, but second hand is often more expensive than regular stores. Then there's Huntington Beach which does have a surfers past, and they keep up that vibe. It's a bit older though so apartment homes are pretty awful, and houses are again bought by baby boomers.

We could never buy at this point, our situation is way too unstable, we're hoping to stay here for longer than our current visa. Either by extending it or going for a greencard. Last option would mean we could at some point but a van and just ride around the country for a couple months. That's the dream for now.

One of California's problems is definitely that too many people want to live here. Irvine used to be a ranch (think there's some Irish roots there), but there are only a couple of grassy hills left.

@Live, yeah if we would have a garden and more knowledge about our future here, I'd definitely consider a dog too. For now it's just too many extra costs and we don't know if we could keep him /her after two years. California is very dog minded (I've always had cats).

Anyway, I've just bought guacamole so I guess I've lowered my chances on a nice place even more...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wasn't Silverado a tv series or something?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wait, no, it was a film. John Cleese was in it.
  • So we had the house valued last week and the hard work seen in the diy thread of ages ago has paid off massively. We are now pretty seriously looking for plots for grand design style self build. Self build in this case does mean literally that too. I’ll be laying every single brick and loving it. May mean caravan living for a while and ooo I just don’t know about that though.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Wait, no, it was a film. John Cleese was in it.
    No that was A Fish Called Wanda.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • So we had the house valued last week and the hard work seen in the diy thread of ages ago has paid off massively. We are now pretty seriously looking for plots for grand design style self build. Self build in this case does mean literally that too. I’ll be laying every single brick and loving it. May mean caravan living for a while and ooo I just don’t know about that though.

Please start a self build thread. Would love to see what you come up with.
  • *creates Kevin mcloud alt*
  • Spelling?
  • Facewon wrote:
    *creates Kevin mcloud alt*

There can be only one.
  • Haha.

Looks like I'll be moving soon. House on the market and got offers, should end up selling for around £90k more than we bought for 3 years ago.

Moving from a Victorian terraced to a 1930's semi-detached, most likely. Seen one we like but it was an old dear's home and needs a lot of updating.... can see massive potential but also means moving in with my mum for a few months. Eeek.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!