Coaching (and teaching)
‹ Previous123
  • Hi all, will spruce up this OP properly at some point, but thought I'd start thread now to get my initial question out there.

As you may know I'm coaching Bball a bucket load now. Via this, at one of the schools I'm at, I'm doing volleyball in the non Bball season.

I know not much about volleyball. Getting my level 1 accreditation paid for for vb, which is good, but it's gonna be a learning curve. Looking forward to it, as I see it as an opportunity to get better at coaching/teaching in general, as I won't have prior in depth knowledge to fall back on.

So, my first question is are there any volleyball fans here?

Anyone else coaching anything else?

Reckon any coach/teacher can learn from other sports etc. Hopefully some advice can be shared.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    No sports coaching but plenty of teaching and I expect there will be commonalities, happy to chew.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    No sports coaching but plenty of teaching and I expect there will be commonalities, happy to chew.

Ditto.
  • I imagine H and Tiger could also offer thoughts, as well as a few others.

Don't ask Yoss, though, his advice will end with regime change in Australia.
  • I've delivered a fair amount of training at work. I used to instruct officer safety techniques and first aid, and recently rolled out classroom training for a massive forthcoming change to arrest legislation. I've just been offered the chance to deliver a few other bits of classroom training. I've also been a tutor to a few probationers, with varying training needs. (My probationer last year had Tourette's and dyslexia; challenges-a-go-go.)

I don't have any formal qualifications, and probably don't have much to offer that others don't have more expertise in, but I'm happy to chip in my tuppenceworth.

I played volleyball for a few months about 23 years ago. Apart from telling your players to not let the ball touch the ground, I'm no help to you.
  • As well as teaching maths I also coach athletics to under 11s following the UK Athletics programme for such things. It's not as rewarding as I'd hoped but I'm kinda stuck doing it now.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I coach the school football team (Year 5 team and Year 6 team). Had an unbeaten season last year! But my training pretty much just involves playing practice games.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Andy wrote:
    I don't have any formal qualifications, and probably don't have much to offer that others don't have more expertise in, but I'm happy to chip in my tuppenceworth.

Na, it's all good. There's a lot of transferable skills with any kind of coaching, teaching and training.

Think I'll be making good use of this thread in future.

On a related note, I'm doing a lot of IELTS writing training right now. I've done it before but not at this level and, in China at least, local teachers are generally preferred for the non-speaking parts of the test due to focus on grammar etc.

I only got asked to do it since my current employers knew I had done it before and we were short on qualified writing teachers. Got my first set of results coming up in the next month and am slightly bricking it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ive delivered a fair bit of training in my time, plus a bit of boxing coaching, so I'll be happy to chip in to.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've just read this book. It was "OK".

51gjKlU%2B6GL.jpg
  • Hi, I'm a professional school sports coach delivering a wide variety of activities for ages 4-11 during the day and a group exercise instructor at the gym in the evening. Not forgetting running my martial arts school. More than happy to help with anything.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I teach kids and mentor trainee teachers and also inspire learning in Overwatch. I also took the Year 3 football team to an undefeated victory in a local tournament and would have won the local cup with the Year 6 team but the idiot star player hurt his leg before the final tournament. I have since taught him not to do this.

Nice thread. Will be useful, I'm sure.

Daddy: I'd considered doing some UK Athletics training at some point. Not enjoying it then?
  • Calling you Daddy feels weird, Daddy.
  • Wookie is building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm very old school with instruction method, strict adherence to the principle of demonstration, explanation, participation, interrogation. You kinda cover all learning methods and it gives a decent structure to the period of time
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Ooh. Awesome. Knew there'd be experience around here. Want to ask roughly 40 questions already.
  • Daddy: I'd considered doing some UK Athletics training at some point. Not enjoying it then?

Not enjoying it mainly because it's at the end of a long day in the middle of the week so generally can't be arsed by that point.
  • Calling you Daddy feels weird, Daddy.

Just call me The
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I'm very old school with instruction method, strict adherence to the principle of demonstration, explanation, participation, interrogation. You kinda cover all learning methods and it gives a decent structure to the period of time
    behaviourist cunt
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Andy wrote:
    Na, it's all good. There's a lot of transferable skills with any kind of coaching, teaching and training.

Yep, and quals are nice and all, but if you've been doing it a while, and they keep asking you to do it, then you probably know some stuff. I also have zero quals re work training, as opposed to coaching.
    Hi, I'm a professional school sports coach delivering a wide variety of activities for ages 4-11 during the day and a group exercise instructor at the gym in the evening. Not forgetting running my martial arts school. More than happy to help with anything.

I'm about to dive in with my first primary school group on Wednesdays.

Most of my coaching has been slightly older kids. And also kids with a desire to play basketball specifically, I have a few clues about more community and younger coaching, but any even seemingly obvious tips welcome.

Plan to keep the drills short, simple and semi-competitive where I can. Start slow and see how I go.

unfortunately, this is through a shit company, so finding out whether it's a mixed group, or whether it's specific basketball kids, or anything is impossible.

FIBA have a bunch of freakin awesome vids, obviously about basketball coaching, but there's a few I'll post later that are just awesome for talking about coaching philosphy and the nuts and bolts of teaching generally.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Daddy: I'd considered doing some UK Athletics training at some point. Not enjoying it then?
    Not enjoying it mainly because it's at the end of a long day in the middle of the week so generally can't be arsed by that point.

Are the kids there by choice?

Is it sport specific? (ie do you mean athletics as in track and field, or athletic as in it's a bunch of kids needing exercise with random sports.)

Coaching at Wesley College has been awesome, but the difference between coaching a team, with players who have chosen to play basketball, vs doing volleyball for a Sports Comp between different classes, where they're doing random sports and not really by choice, is chalk and cheese.

The basketball team (girls) were just freakin awesome fun to coach. I've done 2 days of Volleyball now, and the first group (yr 8 boys) were a bunch of shits, the second group were ok.

Coaching kids who want to get better is energising, kids who aren't there by choice, not so much.
  • Wookie- Do you have any particular qualifications for not doing coaching work in schools? Have a friend who is looking at doing it and mentioned some school sport apprenticeships thing?

Guy knows his shit (used to own a Taekwondo dojang in SoKo) but obviously it's confusing being in another country.
  • I did training with Hull City's Football in the Community programme. Age group sounds similar. Most important thing I found was explaining to kids how drills translate into actual play.

Things that before they might have found boring because they just want to play they suddenly enjoyed when they could see the practical application for it.
  • Skerret wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    behaviourist cunt

I'm not advocating behaviourism, but even if you dislike it you have to be aware of it because it is based on real phenomena (conditioning, reinforcement, extinction). So you have to understand it in order to avoid doing it unintentionally.

I'm currently writing an essay on Skinner's vs Glasser's theories. The latter makes far more sense if you want to develop thinkers rather than produce robots.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Sage advice goober.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I said something about behaviourism, but more about how aspects of the principles of behaviourism can be used effectively in certain types of training for particular circumstances, but realised that the comments above were probably more to do with the concept of behaviourism in a much broader sense. I didn't want to derail the thread by dragging it down a rabbit hole so redacted my comments.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    behaviourist cunt
    I'm not advocating behaviourism, but even if you dislike it you have to be aware of it because it is based on real phenomena (conditioning, reinforcement, extinction). So you have to understand it in order to avoid doing it unintentionally. I'm currently writing an essay on Skinner's vs Glasser's theories. The latter makes far more sense if you want to develop thinkers rather than produce robots.
    Of course, I even use it on occasion when social constructivist methods fail.  I just think cocko is a cunt is all (I don't really).
  • First hh session went well enough last night.

Coaching more community style compared to elite players is an interesting challenge.
  • Had to go full coach Carter on the boys tonight. Bit too much argy-bargy over the last few weeks.

That was the older boys though. Under 14s were good and I free styled a couple of drills that'll work going forward.
  • Here's a question, anyone had the experience of either being a head coach of a session or team and having an assistant undercut you or have you wanted to correct/disagree with a head coach as an assistant?

Do you have a philosophy on how that should go?

My rule of thumb is to defer to the head coach almost no matter what. Disagreement can be dealt with after.

‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!