Looking back at the Wii U, and favourite game vote.
  • Someone has to do it.

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...Fire!

This game is fucking insane. I'm not sure quite what happened during it but there were bright colours and laser beams and next thing I know I'm playing Punch Out and Boulderdash before jumping into robots powering robots and now there's a gian tortoise I have to smash and oh look Power Rangers are on.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Oh yeah, votes.

1. Wonderful 101 - the best bits of saturday morning cartoons and sugar loaded cereal, aged in a vat made of 16bit cartridges, blended with a dash of power rangers and finished with the intro to Iron Chef. It doesn't matter if you have no idea what the fuck you're doing because youre too busy jumping off skyscrapers punching laser dragons and cutting them in half before dashing off in a ... hanglider. 

2. Pikmin 3 - where the fuck has my duck gone? Love the way it can be controlled with the pad for planning with the 2 other captains whilst using remote for the active one. 

3. Affordable Space Adventures - genuinely the most intelligent physics puzzle game since Portal and far superior in the end. Better physics than half life 2 :P But seriously, a genuinely clever game which is probably my favourite indie game since World of Goo. 

4. Captain Toad - the hero we need. Genuinely adorable game. 

5. Super Mario 3D World - double cherry pass music is stuck in my head but the real reason is the satisfaction I got from finishing Champions Road. It's about as tense as Zone mode in Wipeout HD by the end. 

Honourable mentions:
    Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    Nintendo Land - specifically Balloon Trip Breeze
    Deus Ex Human Revolution except for the bosses which were cunts
    Lego City Undercover - Frank Honey deserves his own game full of dinosaurs and spaceships
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Totally forgot about Deus Ex, good call. Made pretty good usage of the GamePad, too.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Space adventures is really really good.
  • I just bought it. Mug.
    40 quid on Amazon. Controllers are 17 quid on there as well.

This thread has cost me best part of 85 quid Ffs.

You really should buy Pikmin 3. The off-story missions are hard as nails and silly addictive.
  • There's a demo for those on the fence.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I had Pikmin 3 a while back but didn't get on with it, never have with Pikmin. Too much real time management stresses me out.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I had Pikmin 3 a while back but didn't get on with it, never have with Pikmin. Too much real time management stresses me out.

I got it as my freebie when Nintendo gave stuff away to early adopters. I enjoyed what I played, but RTS games and I don't get along, I'm no good at multi-tasking.

If you're into RTSs and Nintendo, you'll love it, but if you can't tick both of those boxes... yeah.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Exactly the same with me, RTS games are not my bag.

I forgot to give an honourable mention to Fast Racing Neo, really have to get back to that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Splatoon has to be the best game on this, haven't played that as much as I should, but enjoyed every minute.

Lost all my save games when the WiiU had to be replaced, and that kinda killed it for me. I'm not good at mario games, so getting to world 4 or 5 in 3DWorld was quite something, and don't really feel like retrying. Mario Kart, everything needs to be unlocked again, so that's quite a pain in the ass too... Might replay Bayonetta though, finished it so that save game was ready to attack scores.

Mostly unplayed games are Pikmin3 (about an hour), Wonderful 101, Project Zero, Xenoblade, Batman (about an hour) and Star Fox.

Currently playing Affordable Space Adventures before or after a Netflix show, but this console really deserves more play time. Shame I don't seem to be able to find it.
  • @Vela kudos on finishing Champions Road mate, I've yet to do it but I will make time at some point.

Anyone who says that game is too easy and hasn't done that needs to get on it. Mario has always been easy to complete with the challenge being doing everything. Post NES at least.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    @Vela kudos on finishing Champions Road mate, I've yet to do it but I will make time at some point.

Anyone who says that game is too easy and hasn't done that needs to get on it. Mario has always been easy to complete with the challenge being doing everything. Post NES at least.

Pffttt what about clearing it with every character?!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I forgot to give an honourable mention to Fast Racing Neo, really have to get back to that.

I recently tried that again, it's not as good as I thought it was after the initial rush.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    @Vela kudos on finishing Champions Road mate, I've yet to do it but I will make time at some point.

Don't you need to do that to unlock it?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • No, it's just the very last level, that's all. One of two or three hard levels in the entire game.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

You do it if you want every stamp! (clear champions Road with every character, that is)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Please note I have every stamp
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Vela completed Champions Road? I'm impressed.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Champion's Road?

Champions' Road?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Champignon's Rue
  • regmcfly wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

You do it if you want every stamp! (clear champions Road with every character, that is)

There's a thing that unlocks after Champion's Rd. The red screen that shows you all the stamps, stars and gold flags you've collected suddenly has extra blank spaces to fill in because only when you've done every level in the game with every character will that be complete.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep, we kind of cheesed it at times (two of us playing and two idle wii motes that we rocked up to the flag at the end) but champions Road don't work that way baby, those bubbles just get in the way. Gotta clear that sucker with each character. Note that toad is the worst
  • Stuff I still need to buy/get hold of:

Star Fox
    Splatoon
    Xenoblade
    Zelda: TP
    Wonderful 101
    DK
    ...and the new Zelda.

Also want to get Mario 3d world again to play with the boy a few years down the line.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    All of those are crackers except starfox which is not so hot. Speaking of which, I really need to fire up project guard
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    But I'm too busy fawning over Tsubasa.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's a reference precisely none of you will get.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I plan on buying a WiiU at some point, mainly to fuck about on Mario Maker. When they're dirt cheap I'll bite. Elliot will like playing the Lego games on the pad too.

I'm going to expand on this at some point and convince you the best gaming you will ever have will be on the WiiU with the boy. It's different skill level co-op at it's finest. Charlie knows exactly when to lag behind as Dad does the hard bits but I always let him go ahead to collect the stars/coins/jump the flags etc. They couldn't have made it a more child-parent friendly co-op console if they tried, and I suspect they did.

• Moot_Geeza wrote:

4. Captain Toad

An unexpected delight.  It's a simple, lovely thing

I was thinking about this today. Having the confidence to design a 3D platformer where the protagonist can't even jump or fly or has any real form of weaponry at all, and make a rather brilliant game about a character that just slowly ambles about levels. The most exciting thing he can do is just fall off heights really, quite slowly. Takes decades of experience to pull that off.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    Stuff I still need to buy/get hold of: Star Fox Splatoon Xenoblade Zelda: TP Wonderful 101 DK ...and the new Zelda. Also want to get Mario 3d world again to play with the boy a few years down the line.

If muzzy bothers playing it, my copy of Starfox is there to be passed around.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Both Imogen (6) and Caitlin (4) were able to play and finish the simple Mario Maker levels I'd constructed for them.

Better still, they actually made their own levels too.

Family gaming, has totally justified the Wii U purchase for me.

They're currently attempting Super Monkey Ball on GameCube, to varying degrees of success, but it was definitely Mario Maker that begun their gaming education.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!