Touchdowns, slam dunks, home runs and slap shots
  • https://youtu.be/6PT3_dkUGDA

Love this channel. Jimmy might have bought a spot or 2 with finals performance, IMO.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Those portraits definitely made me lol, Joker looks totally monged.
  • Well, nba new season on its way.

Absolute truck load of trades and moves, but given the lakers really reloaded well, it's all a bit moot. Westbrook for wall is vintage whatever trade.

Draymond and Wiseman from warriors have covid and no bubble this time, so season is gonna be a shit show quite possibly.

Back watching euroleague and it's still a great watch. Not the same athletes or offensive supernovas, but intensity of play with a lot fewer junk possessions and shorter games is great.
  • Well, we've locked in Giannis for the forseeable anyway, makes my fanlife less complicated. I'd lol pretty hard if somehow Harden turns up in Mil too.
  • Touchy locker room. 

I mean who knows, but I get the feeling there's a little beef between them, and certainly a difference in approach to game and life.

For some reason, pre-season games aren't on league pass yet, so only got to see highlights of KD and Kyrie, but damn, KD looks in good shape.

Fingers crossed for his health. Hell of a player. And I'm a big fan of the pointy goaty.
  • Euroleague commentary is so bizarre.

Bunch of dudes who've spent equal time in Europe and states with just fascinating accent combos over explaining every detail for entire games. I kinda love it.

Also, overexcitement for completely average dunks. Bless 'em.

Still, watched a Moscow derby last night that was a cracker of a game.
  • More from Thinking Basketball.

https://youtu.be/kCKSvjBnCRQ

Cool series breaking down legendary players at their peaks.

Always enjoy this guy's stuff too. College focus, but his on screen diagrams are great for seeing how continuity offenses work and highlighting the repeated actions, and in this case, how they were countered.

Meanwhile, I'm coaching u18s this season. 

Gotta brush up on my zones.

We'll be using a 1-3-1.

• (Also, booo, it appears the NBA has cought up to VPNs. I am no longer canadian for billing purposes.)
  • After losing to the fucking Knicks, spanking Miami by like 50 points and setting a new 3-pointer record and it being our biggest away win is pretty sweet.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The Hawks look great... Atlanta Vs Nets was an L, but there probably won't be another game like that all season.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I'm struggling to watch nba at the moment.

Watched that hawks nets game, was entertaining, but goddamn, no one is playing defense.

There's just so many junk possessions.

Having watched a lot of euroleague the difference is now pronounced. There's not the same talent or athletic ability, but the effort etc when it's 40 minute games and less of them is so noticeable.
  • So I can walk back the above a little. It's a bit team by team.

Indiana are a great watch. Sabonis is doing his dad proud and passing like a bit of a gun and being a beast on the low block.

New Orleans are interesting to watch too. Zion is a freak, they have a weird mix of individually good players and JJ reddick is struggling. Seems to be a lot of chatter and confusion between guys, but then some good stuff.

Dallas watchable, as always. Their city unis are quite the thing. White and gold. Strong 70s SF vibes. And/or sun rand/fountainhead inspiration. I know Cuban is a fan.
  • Harden to the Nets is all a bit : /
  • It's an interesting mix. That's a lot of offensive talent. And Nash could be the horse whisperer as far getting guys to play the right way.

Be cool to watch harden in an offense that isn't just 5 out or spread pnr with little movement.

I mean I don't expect prime warriors v2.0, but even a few little actions to get looks in different ways would be fun.
  • Harden, Irvine and KD on the same team playing with one ball - not sure how that works
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yeah this is going to be either a depressing super team or a deeply entertaining sitcom.
  • I see we have the league-leading points diff again, woo.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Yeah this is going to be either a depressing super team or a deeply entertaining sitcom.
    Kyrie is the magic sauce to ensure the latter.
    Also who's playing defence?  KD is eliete when he wants to but can't see him doing it throughout the regular season.

• If we're not beating Brooklyn or LA, we're cooked. Obvious point but yeah, annoying week.
  • I'm not watching heaps, but have hammered all the Lowe posts, and a few breakdowns of nets games and it seems to me LAL are just legit. Everything just as they want it. Bron cruising etc. The aim is only to get to finals and hope.

Nets have HEAPS to work out. Offense already looks ridic, but there's so much that could still go wrong there. They need to do well out of buy outs, for a start.

Tbh, I'm more and more enjoying the euroleague. Nba talent is off tap, but it's obvious in so many games that they don't give a shit this season. Add to that games with multiple players out and the product isn't that flash right now.

Euroleague is in a much better state, fewer games cancelled, fewer teams with major outs, and they're playing hard as hell.

Fiba/euro rules > nba rules on so many levels too.

• https://youtu.be/Jopi5e46PAY

Thinking Bball on Kobe. Great watch.
  • Still stand by some of what I said above. More games with all players there and the giving a shit seems to have improved.

Nets clips was a fascinating watch.

1. The sheer offensive talent of harden kyrie and durant is insane. It does almost break the sport as a team game. Harden Iso, durant rip and middy are just super high percentage shots, and require very little set up. Great shot making, and I was with Grant Hills commentary late game, all you can do is laugh.

2. Because the talent is literally more grounded in euroleague, there has to be more reliance on team offense and systems. Consistent tough shots are lower percentage than good team offense.

3. Late game is so different in both leagues. The international rules, where you can't call a time out in general play, make for a much quicker resolution.

(I'm on the fence as to witch I prefer on that front in late game.)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That Nets team has no defence though. Funny to think that in a team with so many super stars, Joe Harris seems to be their best defender!

I won't question your qualitive take on the NBA vs Euroleague, because I've only really started following B-Ball in any serious way 2/3 years ago. But I won't deny that much of the enjoyment of the NBA, for me at least, is in the hype.

After an encouraging start, Hawks are still a mess. But nice to see Hunter really step up.
    And Capela has been a really good addition.

But between injuries, and the team being useless in offence without Trae, making the playoffs looks like a 50-50 thing right now. Rondo's been useless too.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Also, the AllStar game might not be the best idea this year.
    Perhaps wait a year, and see how things work out, once the experts are sure vaccines will contain the pandemic.
  • Are all star games ever a good idea?

• I'm amused by Utah's progress the season, but I hope we fucking beat them this month. In any event, I have a strong feeling Bud is for the chop.
  • Don't you guys still have best offense in league?

D inconsistent largely through trying switchijg etc after seasons of playing one way and being caught out in play off's?

Chop would be harsh. Unless there's someone elite available.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    If Bud gets the axe, I can imagine Schlenk making a call, immediately.

Also @charlie, regarding AllStar games. It is silly, but for casual fans like myself, it's a good barometer for the league in a way. I think all round it's good.

The players enjoy the prestige, the league organisers enjoy the exposure, and the fans get a talking point.
    Why would you not do it, tbh?

Except this year, when sport itself can be considered frivolous, it's a huge logistical risk. 
    So why take it?
  • Just find it completely dull, friendly games for back patting purposes 
    I need a competitive edge and love watching great defence so not for me

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Just find it completely dull, friendly games for back patting purposes  I need a competitive edge and love watching great defence so not for me

The game itself is a procession, absolutely (though the last quarter of the Kobe tribute game was actually quite good, for what I remember).
    But it's really just about the prestige. Like national team callups in football, in some respects, it's just a frame of reference.

I reckon Adam Silver is just dangling the prospect, and running proper voting, for the hype.
    When the time comes for actually scheduling the thing, he'll back out of it, for health and safety reasons.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!