The Last of Us - Edge has given this a [10] FYI
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I'm sure having Page die in any way will be game over. That doesn't work for me. She should be a potential distraction like your packmates in Tokyo Jungle. You can find new orphaned children throughout the ruins as you explore and have them tag along like a string of pied piper meat treats for anything that wants to kill you.

Centipede Champ Ed.
  • Not that Centipede

Okay maybe that Centipede
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Absence of glowing things for the environment puzzles in HL2, so I mean it's entirely do-able. Seems like another grip of Teh Fears hitting a major studio, makes me sad enough to post on the Internet about it.

No... HL2 is chock full of contrivances. It's still a mack game, but... It has a hit point system ffs!

adored wrote:
    Surely it'd work with a character just mentioning it when you look at it on screen? That's pretty much what happens anyway, just without the ready-brek effect. Edit: Replying to Dynammite's post on last page.

That's a new "trope", I'm sure...

Brooks wrote:
    Not that Centipede Okay maybe that Centipede

Centipede is a badass game...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It has a hit point system ffs!
    At least you're wearing an advanced Hazmat suit to kind of account for that. In game world logic it's better than just being a piece of meat and regenerating wounds by supposedly pushing bullets back out through your sweat pores. Health and damage has to be the biggest contrivance issues of games.

Only game I can think of that had a fairly reasonable go at it was Operation Flashpoint.
  • Blame Halo, which at least made sense of the system in part.
  • Dyno I agree it's not without its own series of fudges but on the specific of overt guidance systems for managing object-push tasks, the Valve number did at least manage to dodge literally making things have to signpost themselves so blatantly and thus introduce a modicum of friction.

It's sort of tolerable, narratively (though it remains a cop-out on the raw challenge front), when yeah you're playing spaceman in spacehat like Halo and you expect Hi Tech to be a major aesthetic element front and centre but that can't fly everywhere without consequence to the integrity of the whole. Whether one picks that up or not is endlessly example and counter-examplable because omg so many humans and opinions but I only care about mine
  • I do now want a game where you can excrete bullets out of your pores though
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Probably be a Lynx advertising wagon.
  • Maybe you can switch the glowing ladder effect off.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I suggest conditioning the player, where you get through a certain number of scrapes with Ellen Page to build an affinity with the character.  After this getting to know you period, the rug can be pulled out from under the player at any time and she can be permanently erased if you misstep.  Imagine, you play for 6 or 7 hours, get through all manner of hair raising shite then, suddenly, you fail to catch her as she slips and she falls to her death.  Game over?  No, you now continue, alone, wracked with the grief of losing your only companion.  Loading screens from this point contain selected replays of the Good Times you had together (nothing sordid) to remind you of the harsh reality of death and the lasting gloom it brings with it.  Damn I need a holiday damn yeah
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Dyno I agree it's not without its own series of fudges but on the specific of overt guidance systems for managing object-push tasks, the Valve number did at least manage to dodge literally making things have to signpost themselves so blatantly and thus introduce a modicum of friction.

Umm... I understood this bit...

You see, HL2 is one of my favourite games for the way it magpied' a whole wodge of cinematic conventions, and turned those into utile videogame mechanisms (use of lighting, most especially).

Brooks wrote:
    It's sort of tolerable, narratively (though it remains a cop-out on the raw challenge front), when yeah you're playing spaceman in spacehat like Halo and you expect Hi Tech to be a major aesthetic element front and centre but that can't fly everywhere without consequence to the integrity of the whole. Whether one picks that up or not is endlessly example and counter-examplable because omg so many humans and opinions but I only care about mine

This baffled the shit out of me (I'm presently on my second can of super soup though... so that figures.)... But I suppose the tools available to the gamer should match the aesthetic...

That said, once you get into that mode of thought, you'll start yo encounter a ridiculous number of unanswerable questions that cut in a number of different directions...

Like, try to recall just about every single sports game abstraction you can think of...

They all leak like an anxious child...
  • Second paragraph is about regenerating health in games.
  • Not only.

I can and do think about what's up with other formats. For me a sportgame isn't going to be tonally compromised by cursors etc. so badly. Titles like this disasterthing are going for mood that denies triviality and privileges immersion, for the fiction of risk, reward, consequence and non-actionfigurery characters to survive. FIFA just isn't. I could absolutely deal with markers on sports footage, actually one of the neatest innovations for US footy coverage was when they started projecting a 1st down line on the pitch.

If that means abandoning/avoiding scenarios which current mechanical and representational tropes can't hang with, or retuning to accommodate same, so be it - that's called good writing. Better competence than fudge.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Not only.

That's why I brought up the subject of sports games.

Brooks wrote:
    I can and do think about what's up with other formats. For me a sportgame isn't going to be tonally compromised by cursors etc. so badly. Titles like this disasterthing are going for mood that denies triviality and privileges immersion, for the fiction of risk, reward, consequence and non-actionfigurery characters to survive. FIFA just isn't. I could absolutely deal with markers on sports footage, actually one of the neatest innovations for US footy coverage was when they started projecting a 1st down line on the pitch.

You know... American Football deserves a lot more credit... That's a fucking advanced sport right there...

Coming back to the topic though, and staying adroit, most mofos' would die in a "Last Of Us" scenario without glowing health packs, or a script... So could it be fair to say that we're expecting too much from game developers (or perhaps even from the "typical" player...)?

What's more, we've certainly all taken quite a shine to throwbacks recently...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    If they deem this ladder business to be the most suitable means of guiding the player then presumably in practice the level of immersion they seek is not compromised to the point of brokenage.  I'll give them the BOTD until I get hands on it.  If the desire to contextualize every signpost or guiding hand results in a frustrating guessing game I'll take glowy ladders please.  I'll buy into whatever they throw at me if the groundwork is there, Spielbergian kinda thing.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Stuff like knowing what you can/cannot interact with is also effected by what abilities you're used to your character having. Dishonoured surprised me quite a few times with being able to Blink ontop of objects I didn't expect to and the levels became teleporting playgrounds after that.
  • Impact on capacity to surprise is a whole other category, and quite important too.
  • Skuzz I'm not sure getting lost and having to hunt hard for things is especially counter-immersive in a dilapidated apocalyptoscape but as you wish.

I appreciate a delay in progress is problematic if the work is considered to live or die on how much of a given momentum it can maintain. Just about.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Not necessarily had counter-immersive in mind, but if it's deemed that the game is best played apace then facilitating rapid point A to B movement might be paramount.  Struggling to recall specific examples but the thrill of total immersion when it's all happening can be deadened by dragging out same thrilling section through vague placement or indication of the next point of progression.  Sort of takes the magic out a scene when you're dicking about trying to find a barn door to shut after the horse has been out for so long it's wandered back to see where you got to.  I dunno, I mean maybe they made a clumsy design choice and that will bear (lol) out but I'll suspect good reasons for doing so til then.

In other words I agree with the second bit using more words less effectively.
  • I just ate banana-flavour gummi candy, it were remarkably zesty and I would eat it again.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    If it's an issue of pacing then I'd rather they dropped the 'puzzle' completely and had the ladder in place rather than scream at me HERE IS A LADDER AND YOU CAN INTERACT WITH IT BECAUSE IT HAS THIS SPECIAL ORANGE GLOW.
  • Refer to it as the Ready-Brek effect please.
  • It's not really a puzzle though is it? I don't think it's even pretending to be. It's just another objective.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I just ate banana-flavour gummi candy, it were remarkably zesty and I would eat it again.
    Zesty bananas?  Link plz.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I like that carpet.
  • 'Snay mine, just grabbed that offa GIS. Content's accurate though - chewy little yellow oblongs. Ignore the cheese-string style stripping serving suggestion, they're too wee for that.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The description alone is mouth watering.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    So this has got MP then...

600x-1
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Moto remember when I said its not got zombies unless that's the twist?

I were wrong as iirc there's some infected weird folks with weird heads on.
    Ill try to post relevant you tube links later so you know what I'm on about!
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!