PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    But the new console won't exist in March will it? Or will it? If so then not buying the wiiu version seems easier.

Yes, according to their most recent interviews, the new system is indeed on track to be on shelves March 2017. I know.

I know.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    At longest we are 7 months out from launch, according to their most recent announcements. Has there ever been a console with more unknowns this soon to launch?
  • Not mass effect? I think that was the only EA games I bought all last gen

Edit: @retroking :)
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    But the new console won't exist in March will it? Or will it?

I reckon it will. We'll find out when they unveil it I guess, which everyone seems to think will be in September for reasons not clear.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    But the new console won't exist in March will it? Or will it?

I reckon it will. We'll find out when they unveil it I guess, which everyone seems to think will be in September for reasons not clear.

That rumour stemmed from a report from a VR site that cited AMD people who said during Tokyo Game Show, so, you know, bullshit.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm. Maybe JP only?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Otherwise I better get saving...
  • TGS makes sense though, Nintendo are still very much a Japanese company in their workings
  • I remember the Nintendo 64, sorry Ultra 64, to well to get hyped for March.

It'll come out when it comes out. There's plenty to play between now and then, in fact most of us probably have unplayed N64 games on the shelf, for shame!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    TGS makes sense though, Nintendo are still very much a Japanese company in their workings

I think the end is that they've steered clear of TGS for many years now. I guess a direct timed with the show would work.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I remember the Nintendo 64, sorry Ultra 64, to well to get hyped for March.

It'll come out when it comes out. There's plenty to play between now and then, in fact most of us probably have unplayed N64 games on the shelf, for shame!

What are you looking at me for

*stares at feet*

• They should bring back Spaceworld.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly wrote:

What are you looking at me for

*stares at feet*

Haha ;-)

I can't talk I'm currently playing Doom 64.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    That sounds harsh. I'm not trying to be. If you don't like it, that's cool. But I don't believe your rationale is logical as you have typed it.  I don't buy EA games because lost world and need for speed 2 on ps1 were broken. We all have these stances which fall apart under scrutiny. I'm not pretending to be better.
    How was Lost World broken?  Nearly bought that on Saturn a couple of times.  They're still at it, if I had a mind to boycott publishers the fact that there was a full-second lag on the menus of Fifa 15 for ages is pretty poor form (I would say 'in this day and age', but poor form at launch has become the norm).

Lost world was broken on the first compy level. Every platform you jumped on would clip through and you would fall to your death.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape wrote:
    A bad-fashion street party. I think Zelda has the potential to be a superb hike-'em-up, but it's in the wrong hands and on the wrong hardware. I was so letdown by OoT (after ALttP, which I loved), that I haven't played any of 'em since. Likewise, I haven't felt the need to play the Marios after 64 and Super Kart, but for the opposite reason: their controls were so good for their time.

If you liked LTTP you really should try ALBW.
  • If they don't show anything in September, and it's rumoured for March, that'd put quite a dent in their marketing potential. The reason they've stated for not showing anything so far is that they're afraid of being imitated.

Which means they must have a lot of confidence in the idea, or its just Nintendo being quite clueless about the current market. Again.

Not that that's necessary always bad thing.

"We have a system that allows you to download previous purchases WITHOUT USING THE SAME CONSOLE it was bought from! Keep it hush you guys!"
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    TGS makes sense though, Nintendo are still very much a Japanese company in their workings

I think the end is that they've steered clear of TGS for many years now. I guess a direct timed with the show would work.

It is where they revealed the wii remote I think. Iconic moment there.
  • Not mass effect? I think that was the only EA games I bought all last gen

Edit: @retroking :)

Nope, but on closer inspection they published Suda51's Shadows of the Damned so I guess that counts as 4.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • If they don't show anything in September, and it's rumoured for March, that'd put quite a dent in their marketing potential. The reason they've stated for not showing anything so far is that they're afraid of being imitated.

Which means they must have a lot of confidence in the idea, or its just Nintendo being quite clueless about the current market. Again.

"We have a system that allows you to download previous purchases WITHOUT USING THE SAME CONSOLE it was bought from! Keep it hush you guys!"

I'm not sure Sony or Microsoft would bother copying Nintendo. You'd have to be pretty brave. Isn't this more about having the software ready after the Wii U and 3DS initially flopped in release?

I'm not sure Sony or Microsoft would bother copying Nintendo. You'd have to be pretty brave. Isn't this more about having the software ready after the Wii U and 3DS initially flopped in release?

I think you're definitely right about having the software ready for launch, they seem to be beating that drum even recently, saying they need to make the best of the IP they have.

I was referring directly to Miyamotos quote about not showing at E3 this year, which I'm sure is not so much about Sony and Microsoft, but possibly android based developers? I could even imagine someone like Samsung throwing together a dock with Bluetooth controllers for their massive phones or what have you.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/29/12059030/nintendo-nx-e3-no-show-virtual-reality-details
  • Yeah, maybe. They certainly seem to be getting involved with phone stuff.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm not saying my view's a solid one, guys, just that I know from experience that my head's turned by cutting-edge graphics. I like high-end and retro games, and because Nintendo prefer lagging on slower tech, Zeldas fall into that divide until I might reappraise them when they're older.

If I played them at launch I'd have a whinging voice in my head telling me how much better elements could've been with more power and/or a contemporary's design approach. BotW's art direction will last some time, but its graphics are already frustratingly dated.

Strong counter-argument: I can't think of a graphically superior game that share its aesthetic. (Which is why I find Nintendo's dogged allegiance to budget hardware and Z-targeting in this twin-stick age so crummy.)
  • OK. That has clicked in my mind more than your previous posts.

There is definitely a window where stuff can just look rough, before it looks retro.
    I think Twilight Princess (not HD version) is actually a good example of this. I really enjoyed it on the Wii but it looked like Shit. Wind Waker on the other hand suffered less from having a stylised visual approach.

Breath of the Wild visually falls somewhere between TP and WW for me. It kind of looks like a glossy OOT more than the others.

I think it will do enough to be a decent looking next gen game even in comparison to mid-tier bone/PS4 games.

The NX version, well, I couldn't really speculate given the info we have.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's crazy, but the PS4's almost three years old now. Something with less power could happily do a sterling job with Blast Corps 2, but the Zeldas and Metroids could always benefit from more juice.
  • I definitely agree that some extra oomph certainly wouldn't hurt the likes of Zelda or Metroid. Would definitely enhance them titles more than Mario or Mario Kart.
    However, what I have seen from BotW looks more than good enough to me, certainly better than TP looked.

Tastes though innit. I remember playing Shadow of the Colossus about a year after having my 360 and I thought it looked so bad it rendered it unplayable. An opinion I am sure many would take issue with.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I just took issue with its controls.
  • SotC?

If so, yeah I thought they were janky as fuck.
  • Weirdly, i thought TP looked pretty decent in places.  Hated SS though. Thought that looked dated and had a horrible art style.

Kind of agree with Escape on Nintendo's choice of budget hardware.  I know it's all about the gameplay and 3dWorld looked as good as any PS4 game at the time and blah blah blah but the Zelda E3 videos do look dated.  Nintendo stuff can very often get by on charm alone, Mario universe stuff being a great example of this, but once the game spaces become more realistic, more generic perhaps, then we have tons of other contemporaries to compare them to and this will never be flattering.  It shows the compromises in tech that they've had to work around.  If they had more power open to them at this moment then the game would simply be better.  It frustrates me somewhat as I watched the Zelda stuff, enjoyed what I saw and then thought how much of a shame it was that it wasn't running on PS4 levels of juice. 
    This open world, open toolset stuff clearly has an impact on visual fidelity, amount of stuff going on on screen, animation segues etc etc and I just think it all looks like it's pushing the WiiU too much.
    I'll still get it though.
  • Nintendo are like a 68 year old carpenter constructing a lovely piece of oak furniture, let's say a sideboard as I'm in the market for one, competing next to a cnc machine and a joiner on a day rate.  You can see the care the old guys putting into it and you can admire his adherence to the strict levels of craftsmanship but if we're being honest it doesn't look as neat as the stuff the modern machines knocking out and that got finished three weeks ago.
  • I will go for the hand made as it has character and class. Plus it will work and continue to work for a long time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!