PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I want to see someone and shoot them. With my gun.
    You can do that, there's just the matter of the energy shield to get past, which makes things less straight forward then the typical FPS.

Different weapons have different effects, beyond the strength of the ammunition – some shred shields, others shred armour. You can use this knowledge to get past both, to a speedier kill.
  • So 'mod complains that he doesn't like Halo because the kill times are too slow, then when told about the weapons that will kill quickly in Halo says he doesn't want to use those weapons... ok.

Djorn, of course you don't have to be an MLG player to comment, nowhere did I say that. But you do have to understand the game, and every post he makes is full of so much idiocy that if I didn't know 'mod was a decent guy I'd swear was baiting. Also, what Nexx said.
    GT: Knight640
  • Ok so you didn't specifically say that, statement retracted. I guess my point is just because he doesn't play it exactly like we think he should, he still has the right not to like it. However, he doesn't have the right to say it's not good. But i don't think he did? Anyway besides all this philosophy bullshit we should all learn to be less touchy about our beloved Halo. We know it's awesome anyway. Am i right?
  • I've long thought the kill times in Halo were ridiculous. You should be able to punish someone instantly if you get the drop on them not watch them bunny hop into safet

If your spawn weapon can't kill another player in one clip and you need to run in for a melee to finish them it's not a shooter anymore.
    Two comments from his original post. Pretty sure he's saying Halo game design is 'not good' here.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    No, I've never said Halo (MP) isn't good, that would be ridiculous.

I like almost everything about it, except the fact that it's "balanced" or "optimised" if you prefer, towards chipping some of the opponents life using something other than your gun and then finish them using either a headshot or a melee.

I'm allowed to not like that. I'm allowed to prefer how practically every other MP shooter going does it. I'm allowed to not enjoy the need to use more than body shots from an AR to kill people. I'm allowed to dislike the fact that ARs, SMGs and Shotguns are practically useless unless the game type forces everyone to use them.

I know I'm talking to a brick wall expressing this in here, but really it's the only place I have to express that opinion. I usually leave well alone until it's a new game is released and revisit here and the game to see how things might have changed.

What I dislike is being told that because I don't like doing something I'm doing it wrong. I took various advice last time and went and played using the DMR+headshot norm and whilst I could do it fine I didn't enjoy being forced to play that way. That's all.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    What I dislike is being told that because I don't like doing something I'm doing it wrong. I took various advice last time and went and played using the DMR+headshot norm and whilst I could do it fine I didn't enjoy being forced to play that way. That's all.
    K/D : 0.83 suggests you couldn't do it that fine... though maybe I'm being a bit unfair here.

Mod, I understand you have grievances, but they really do seem to be with core mechanic of Halo. It's always been that way and will hopefully always remain that way. Luckily enough there are plenty of other games which cater for those who don't like it.

DISCLAIMER: My own k/d is probably piss poor but fuck you everyone I was decent at Halo 3 even if I'm rubbish at Reach.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Shotguns are one of the most powerful weapons in the game, and there's no SMG in Reach. Yes, you are allowed to not like Halo, but it doesn't change the fact that you're also talking bollocks.
  • For reference, I've completed 1,3 and Reach on legendary, dabbled in the multi over the years but by no means play regularly.

So here's what I've learned so far, keeping an eye on the thread. I've changed my mind on my inital assumptions a bit.

Quicker kill times make for a more rewarding experience because if you have the drop on someone and can aim well, you should be able to end their life without the fear of them hopping off and recovering. The comeback mechanic shouldn't be so strong it rewards less-demanding defensive play over skilled agression.

It's something competitive games struggle with. Should you balance for the top 10% of skilled players, and risk being hard to crack for newcomers, or put in a defensive comeback mechanic that dilutes the purity of top-tier play, but makes the intermidiates and beginners feel like there is always a fighting chance.

From a unit-shifting perspective, the latter makes more business sense as it's more inclusive. However, the top 10% are the most vocal and the best positioned to asses what's 'good' balance in the game. So unfortunately there's no perfect solution for everyone, ever.

The thing I'd like to see games acknowledge more, though, is the fact that no matter how much you try and soften the edges of a solid cube of vs balance, great players will always find ways to have the edge over newcomers - and that's really how it should be.
  • You're my new favourite poster. I'm now very confused as to why you said you want longer kill times?
  • Longer kill times = More time for more skilled player to assert his dominance? Fewer occasions where the worse player comes out better in a firefight?
  • Knight, it wasn't stated as a fact, just a 'seems like'.

Main reason: I wanted someone like you to explain why that didn't feel quite right on paper. I explained why this was my initial assumtion: because lowering the barrier to entry of competitive play whilst preserving the potentialy dizzying heights of top level is the sign of god damn excellent competitive game.

I hadn't factored in the posititional element that Fenton brought to the discussion though. He's right - moving behind a rock is easy, whereas tracking and nailing someone with a dead-eye shot is far more exciting and rewarding. It makes a lot more sense to me now.
  • Djornson wrote:
    n

Exactly, this sums up how I feel about this thread at the moment.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Knight is good at MLG but he isn't good at Halo. Halo is rampaging around Standoff with 5 Spartans on a warthog. Halo is assaulting the enemy base from the back of a mongoose, raising your splazer to the sky and bellowing with frustration when Shyam inevitably drives off a cliff. That's Halo. Metagame.

Love.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I took various advice last time and went and played using the DMR+headshot norm and whilst I could do it fine I didn't enjoy being forced to play that way. That's all.

You can of course get by using any weapon in the game, all the weapons are there for good reason.  You just have to understand the strengths of each weapon and adjust your play style accordingly.  If I'm feeling lively I might lean towards the DMR or sniper and attempt control from a distance, or if I've had a couple of beers I might stick with the 'spray & pray' weapons while controlling smaller areas.
  • Djornson wrote:
    To be fair to Mod he is actually quite good at Halo. Knight, he doesn't have to play MLG standard to have an opinion on a game, his money is as good as ours. Mod, if you don't like the style or how to kill people in Halo, fair enough. Not sure why we all have to keep discussing it.

The thing i like about halo is a skilled player can kill any less skilled player no matter what weapons both of them have, every weapon in the game is potentially the best in a particular situation. It just so happens that BR/DMR/AR/Melee is easier than most in most situations, doesn't mean it's the only one to use if we were all good enough.

This

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • ok I see Nick. As promised my post about kill times is below.

*Warning, epic wall of text upcoming. If talk of kill speeds, reticle bloom, bullet spread and such like bores you, move on. *

Your post above nails one aspect of fast kill speeds, the ability to play aggresively. In Halo you need kill speeds that are fast enough that a skilled player can kill people without the help of team mates. When team mates help it's called 'teamshooting' and this will always be a very important part of team based Halo play. However, if kill speeds are slow enough that the majority of the time an enemy can escape/be saved by his teammates before one person's bullets can kill him then the ONLY way to kill enemies is to teamshoot. This ultimately results in pretty stale gameplay where you either play super defensive and so make it easy to coordinate the team's teamshot or you play mindlessly aggresively and attempt to overwhelm a team in one particular place. If teamshot is all important then once you overwhelm 1 or 2 players in 1 place then the other 2 players can't do anything, they simply don't have enough fire power.

I want a Halo game where team play is very important (which it always will be due to the nature of the game) AND where the individual is empowered to kill enemies on his own. That requires fast kill times. To use a basic example, in football passing will always be hugely important, but the individual is empowered, through things like long shots and dribbling, to have a massive effect on a game on his own. Remove the individualistic aspect of football that allows someone like Lionel Messi to stand head and shoulders above almost everyone else in the world and you'd have a much worse game.

Weapon balance is also very important. Power weapons in Halo (for our purposes we'll define power weapons as only the rockets and sniper, it's more complicated than that but no need to go into it here) kill very quickly. That goes without saying, it's why they're power weapons. This is good, if you possess a power weapon you should have an intrinsic advantage. However, if my utility weapon (the weapon that can function at all ranges, the weapon that Halo DEPENDS upon to work, pistol in H1, BR in H2/H3, DMR in Reach) kills too slowly then I have NO chance against power weapons and if in any particular situation you're powerless it's bad. It's very frustrating and is generally bad game design. However, if you balance the utility weapon's kill speed against the power weapons correctly the utility weapon has a chance at any range against any gun but more range specific weapons have appropriate advantage.

Furthermore, the triune nature of Halo combat, melees, grenades and shooting, requires a fast killing weapon. Otherwise the trinity is whacked out of sync and you're left with 2 of the 3 becoming too powerful. We're being a bit harsh on mod because while he's arguing for completely the wrong reasons and while he doesn't really know what he's talking about, melees in 3 and Reach ARE too powerful because at close range in both games your guns don't kill fast enough to make shooting worthwhile, it's better to just melee. And frankly, melee isn't the funnest part of the Halo combat experience. Especially as there is no momentum or weapon based damage on weapons in H3 or Reach. It's simply mash RB in the very general vicinity of your enemy FTW.

One extremely important thing I've not mentioned so far is the relationship between average kill time and fastest possible kill time. It's this that makes the optimum Halo kill time very different from COD. I want my Halo weapons to be hard enough to use (due to aim assist, auto aim e.t.c) that the speed at which I kill an enemy is a result of my skill. I want it to be hard to kill someone in the fastest time possible. Halo CE had ridiculously fast kill times with the utility weapon (pistol) but it was very, very hard to 3 shot kill someone. The problem with the likes of Halo 3 and Reach is the kill times on the BR/DMR are too long but it's relatively easy to 4/5 shot kill someone. Balance the kill speeds vs the aiming/shooting difficulty appropiately so that there is a meaningfull difference between average kill time and fastest possible kill time and you're onto a winner. Hilariously (it's a laugh or cry thing) in H3/Reach Bungie did make a meaningfull difference between average kill time and fastest possible kill time but they did it by introducing a random mechanic into shooting. H3 had random bullet spread and Reach has reticle bloom. They did both to try and balance the utility weapon against the other weapons in the sandbox but they did it wrong. They should have done it by making the utility weapons difficult to use. Perasonally I'd make the BR/DMR kill quicker than the AR at all but the very closest of ranges (for the record I'd also make the AR kill quicker than it currently does) but lower aim assist and auto aim enough at close range so that it is very hard to hit all your shots with the BR/DMR before the AR (which would have much more forgiving auto aim/assist) kills you.

Of course, to make all this work, to stop new players getting utterly trounced all the time, you need a good skill based matchmaking system. Starcraft 2 is harder than any Halo game ever will be and there are players who are inhumanely good at that game, but I love playing it because the skill based matchmaking means I never have to play anyone who isn't VERY similar to me in standard. The rock solid core gameplay mechanics that mean Koreans can be so inumanely good are the same mechanics that means I absolutely love the game. To play and to watch.

Does this help? Any questions come back to me.
  • mod, you with your snipe and me with my needler. Anytime, anyplace. :D
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • By the way, the first FPS I played properly, Goldeneye, made it so headshots killed faster. As do loads and loads of other FPS games. Why is 'mod so appalled by this piece of design?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I like almost everything about it, except the fact that it's "balanced" or "optimised" if you prefer, towards chipping some of the opponents life using something other than your gun and then finish them using either a headshot or a melee. I'm allowed to not like that.

That seems to sum it up for me - if you don't like chipping --> headshot / melee then you aren't going to like Halo MP, I reckon, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It is a shame that you don't seem to want to explore other ways of killing, which is for me what makes Halo so much fun and so much more enjoyable than other console FPSs, but the basic mechanic remains that headshots are all-important, don't think anyone can deny that, right?

For me, Tiger's point is the best one - what makes Halo MP so much fun is the the way it combines the promotion of tight team-work, and practice leading to skilled gameplay; with anarchic, open-ended fun resulting from distinctive weapons, vehicles and possibilities.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    By the way, the first FPS I played properly, Goldeneye, made it so headshots killed faster. As do loads and loads of other FPS games. Why is 'mod so appalled by this piece of design?

<Double checks he's not in the God thread>
  • It made perfct sense Knight, thanks for taking the time to write an epic post.

The bloom and spread sound like terrible ideas. When the cpu takes control of key moments you're left wondering how much of the skill on show is deliberate. You're saying they put this in there to balance the utility weapons better against the power ones - what I don't get is it sounds like they nailed that in CE and took steps backwards. Could this be a cynical decision to make the game more inclusive, when really we know the best player will win anyway? Your solution of making the utility weapons easier to use makes sense, I can only think it was the corporate infuencers of the game that were against this.

• FYI guys you can still get fast kills with a Needler. Just sayin.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    By the way, the first FPS I played properly, Goldeneye, made it so headshots killed faster. As do loads and loads of other FPS games. Why is 'mod so appalled by this piece of design?
    You've lost me?

FYI guys you can still get fast kills with a Needler. Just sayin.

*waits for Swirl's comment about the Needler* ;)
  • Anyone on tonight for some team classic?
  • Nexx wrote:
    What? Since when was Mod a passable Halo player? He’s shit. I just wish I was awesome like Shyam. No offense.

Fixed.
    Believe!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    the basic mechanic remains that headshots are all-important, don't think anyone can deny that, right?

I can't deny that they're important, but they're not all important. Many weapons aren't head-shottable at all.

If anything is all-important in Halo, it's map control.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Which means what? Blocking the opposing team from getting good weapons?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That's a part of it, but also holding key positions that give you the good lines of sight or which are easy to defend.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Which means what? Blocking the opposing team from getting good weapons?

It's possible to start the match with a good weapon.

You're referring to power weapons. Which aren't win buttons. For example, if I ask Nexx to get the rockets I know for sure that he'll end up killing himself (and we'll go -1). Another example is Tiger killing himself and a team-mate with the Laser.

Btw, if I get the sniper I can carry Knight.
    Believe!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!