Halo, is it me you're looking for?
  • Well, the good news is this plays wonderful. Classic boom headshot Halo gameplay.
    The bad news is I've already encountered a bug where the whole screen turned black for some reason but somehow the game recovered. Has this been tested at all or are we beta testers again like in w10?

Also, the enhanced gfx on pc don't look that much enhanced. What am I missing here? The video options are a bit lacking.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Potentially everything. On Xbox, back button switched between new graphics and old. There's no mistaking the new graphics.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Black screen and game coming back is how it switched between old and new. You could do it on the fly.
  • Ah, that explains it.
    Will investigate later.
  • Okay, switching between old and new gfx engine works in Halo CE but not Reach. As in it's not implemented in Reach as that's a newer 360 title.
    The black screen bug ocurred once in Reach mid gameplay (with colored glowing lights at the border) but the game somehow recovered. Another time it happened while loading Halo CE and I had to reboot w10. Apparently the anti cheat software had locked up going by a pop up lol.

Other than that seeing Halo run on pc is fantastic. Long overdue.
  • It was on PC in 2003, the pistol skills were ridiculous

Edit: unless you mean personally, in which case, cool
  • I'm aware of the GamesforWindowsLive Halo 1 and 2 editions but that was before I was into pc.
    The Steam release is a welcome new update.

Also, the pistol was always overpowered in Halo ce.
    All it took to take down an elite/spartan was 2 bodyshots and 1 headshot. With the pistol scope it was easy pc, even on a controller.
  • Agreed, it was OP. That big level was a joke just people pistol sniping each other from each of those bases.
  • hunk wrote:
    With the pistol scope it was easy pc

Intentional or boneapple tea?
  • The beauty of HaloCE was all the weapons (including the alien ones) had their use-case scenarios.
    But yeah, pistol was the absolute main weapon.
  • Got to be intentional.
  • Both (doh).
  • Love me a good eggcorn mate, don't apologize :)
  • 'Old timers disease' is the classic.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tried to play Reach on PC but it was downloading Halo so No games for reg.
  • I wonder how many people will be playing with mouse keyboard Vs controllers. Will be interesting to see how this reflects in multiplayer.
  • Also, the mp is fabulous.
    Except for when it blackscreens because of the stupid anti-cheat bugging out.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My weekend is halo dedicated. Can't wait. Reach finished, 1-3 omg then ODST ommmgg and then there's nothing else to play because no other halo games have come out.
  • You are missing a pretty big one.

Halo Wars.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Been playing through Halo 5 with da boyz and after last nights session I thought I'd give the MP a bash. It's bloody great! Feel like I've missed out not playing from the start, I had an absolute blast. Only taken me 5 years to try it.

Looking forward to Infinite now, I'm going to hammer me some Halo MP.
  • My man.

Halo 5 multiplayer still feels incredible.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I don't get the pushback I've seen on it. It feels like Halo to me, and is still lightyears ahead of Destiny MP IMO. Super slick and fun.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I don't get the pushback I've seen on it. It feels like Halo to me, and is still lightyears ahead of Destiny MP IMO. Super slick and fun.

I think objectively speaking, rather than how it feels to anyone, it’s a long way from the Halo template in terms of movement. It requires a LOT of button combos to move around effectively and given trad Halo you could argue lots of that is unnecessary. There is a beautiful simplicity and depth to read Halo’s movement that added to the combat depth. This is partly because the 2 always go together. At no point as you’re moving do you need to stop fighting. However, once sprint was introduced the 2 were separated from one another. That means the H5 movement requirements don’t add to the combat depth they just make the game feel faster. And feel is the operative word here because combat isn’t actually quicker. Instead movement mechanics enable you to disengage from fights very easily and force you to sprint across elongated maps to get into fights in a way trad Halo never requires.

Having said that, there is lots I love about H5. The map design was really good, the aiming skill gap was real and I did enjoy flying around the map with the movement mechanics.

This will never happen but enabling you to fire your gun whilst using the different movement mechanics would be, potentially, brilliant.

GT: Knight640
  • Infinite reveal coming in Nov. Or is it the game?
  • Can these devs maybe start giving stuff to people less boring than Digital Foundry.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Infinite reveal coming in Nov. Or is it the game?
    Reveal next week.
  • Had a great night on this with Nexx and Knight. Reminded me just how damn good Halo can be as a team - it was just like H3 again. Some clutch comebacks.

Really looking forward to seeing what they do with Infinite.
  • I'll be interested to see where they go with the franchise. The multiplayer has never been my personal kind of thing, but I always bought them for the SP (then co-op) back in the day, and the first few overall were really great stuff. Now I get that the MP is the big thing for most of you, but there's still a lot of people will be looking at it for the SP, and boy do they have a big problem there.

As mentioned in this thread, Me, Sparkles, Webbo and Franny did a full co-op run of Halo5's SP campaign a couple of weeks ago, and fuck me is it a dumpster fire of epic proportions. None of us had the faintest idea what the hell was going on at any point of the "story" and the levels were a sprawling, baffling mess. Switching between two completely different squads coming at the same story from different angles was an appalling idea that just didn't work at all, because it's a 1st person game, so I don't know what my character even looks like, and all the other characters look identical.
    I came to finish the fight as Master Chef, but seemed to be playing the game as a random woman called Linda. Da fuk?
    The levels are huge, full of fabulous looking art design, but don't stand looking at it them too long, or indeed get separated from your team, because the game in it's wisdom, will continually, and without any warning, warp you back to the vicinity of your team, even if you're in the midst of combat. Absolutely dreadful design decision.
    I had no idea who the awful new enemies are, or who is actually fighting who, or what anyone is trying to achieve, and every so often they'd throw in something that was clearly designed as a hub area, but actually served no purpose whatsoever.
    It's only blessing was that the shooty-shooty mechanics were still solid and fun, because, really it had nothing else going for it.

It's a game that reeks of troubled development, and rush release to meet deadlines, and MS are going to have to rethink the entire franchise if they want to get the casual shooter audience back on board.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!