‹ Previous123456789
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just watched this and it wasn't half bad. Think it needs a wee bit of work and they probably need to keep it to a short run but not bad at all.

It's on Dave but found it on the youtubes

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • More like no, hate it.
  • Read an article on this. It added nothing.
  • Will probably give it a glance for Ellie Gibson as she used to be a riot over at Eurogamer.
  • Oh god. Ellie's sense of humour is deadly when she gets going. Just the right amount of cynicism; never overdone.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Dara and Ellie both need to work on their commentary. On Gamesmaster the commentators used to share knowledge about the best tactics, the hardest combos, highlighting why players were doing well, or badly. Dara and Ellie seem to largely be stating the obvious.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Apparantly it started life as an Edinburgh festival show. Some of it was a bit flat but there were some enjoyable portions.
  • I'd rather watch a games show about, y'know, new games with new designers and so on than this kinda thing but I can see its appeal to some.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If it reminds people about same room multiplayer then it can only be a good thing. Too many new stuff doesn't seem to aim at that. It's the "people together" bit that's important and if a game can do that then so much the better.

I enjoy videogames but they are far better with people.
  • I commented in the TV thread but I appreciated they weren't taking the piss out of gamers/gaming etc and doing the old 'bunch of lonely guys masturbating with cheetos' or 'all gamers are hideous super geeks' or whatever.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yep.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Will probably give it a glance for Ellie Gibson as she used to be a riot over at Eurogamer.

Unfortunately I got the distinct impression they hadn't worked out what to do with her.  They even have her sat on her own little podium away from everyone else, just to make her look as awkward as possible.  (Which is a shame, as I agree her Eurogamer articles are generally great, and she clearly has the potential to be good here too.  But really, they needed either Dara or Ellie, but not both.)

And the spinning the set thing is utterly cringe worthy, everyone just looks like they're desperately trying to make the most boring thing in the world look interesting.  Which of course, they are.
  • I wonder which Dermot gets knitted the most jumpers per year.
  • davyK wrote:

I enjoy videogames but they are far better with people.

Superb statement.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just watched the second episode of this, its really rough in places.

I think they would have been better getting the public on it instead of no name celebrities. It's a bit insulting to hear someone say they had a MD and SNES and watch them die on the first enemy in Sonic 2.

Gaming has the advantage of breaking down age and gender barriers. Imagine a Father and his 10 year old daughter toppling two 25 year old self proclaimed hardcore gamers? Much better than seeing David James get button mashed to death on his favourite ever fighter Tekken 2.

Basically it should be more like Game Show and less like a Panel Show.

It has a bit of potential but they're going the wrong way about it imo. That and the fact that there's dozens of great youtubers/podcasters out there making much better content make me think this might be sort lived.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I watched the first episode it was shit.

Did Dara self fund this or start his own production company or wot?

I wish instead of just letting the shit celebrities just play the games they get someone in to demo a particular game being played well and then e can all laugh at how shit the guys are.

Basically not getting Ryan Hart in for the Tekken segment tilted the fuck out of me.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Meh. The idea of watching regular people sounds deathly dull to me, I doubt I'd have even bothered watching the first episode. Give me a comedian or two who have a decent chance of making me laugh.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Getting pro gamers in sounds even worse.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oh, and apparently it came about from the two team captains doing it as an Edinburgh show with various other comedians coming in and playing. O'Briain joined after it got picked up by Dave.
  • I'm not sure the celebrity thing works either. Susan Calman was funny last week, but the others have been shit. I miss the days when most shows' contestants were normos, these days where everyone is a 'celebrity' are shit.

Apologies for mentioning Gamesmaster again, but I think there's a lot to be said for featuring contestants who know what they're doing. That Sonic 2 section was just fucking frustrating to watch.

They should save themselves the fees for the C-listers, and put up a prize each week for a grand in credit on PSN/Live/Steam.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Oh, and apparently it came about from the two team captains doing it as an Edinburgh show...

They've both become anonymous on their own show. That must be frustrating.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If you want to watch personality-vacuums taking things too seriously, there's probably a million people doing that right at this moment on Twitch. What would be the point in putting them on TV?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I rather enjoy this, Keep Talking and No One Explodes was a highlight. But I do wish they'd skip the stage rotation thing, the "comedy" actions people do are just cringe worthy.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    If you want to watch personality-vacuums taking things too seriously, there's probably a million people doing that right at this moment on Twitch. What would be the point in putting them on TV?

And celebs telling shitty jokes and being pathetic at anything played makes it better how?
  • I'm intrigued that you think celebrities are brimming with personality, and that normal folk are devoid of personality. Did you see David James? Even Marcus Bridgestock didn't have much to say.

I could watch Twitch, but a lot of them don't shut up while they're playing, which is annoying as fuck, and they're not necessarily playing the most interesting part of a game when you tune in. A show like this can bring curated challenges, and edit them together into an entertaining hour with variety you'd struggle to piece together in the same amount of time on Twitch.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

And celebs telling shitty jokes and being pathetic at anything played makes it better how?

People might actually watch it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I'm intrigued that you think celebrities are brimming with personality, and that normal folk are devoid of personality. Did you see David James?

I did, but he was on with Calman so that made up for it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't watched the 2nd show yet. I believe it will be short lived as there are only so many suitable guests and suitable games but I also believe it could be good. The rotating thing could go, and it might be better if Dara and the girl on her own sat together.

Stuff Twitch nerds and the like. Would much rather watch some comedians (even if I think they are on TV too much nowadays) as long they genuinely have some skills and knowledge.

Watching someone being a bit crap is far more fun than watching someone who is very good. That's when you get laughs playing at home in the main.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Calman on Chuckie Egg was the funniest thing they've had so far, especially as she chose the game.
  • I wanna see a show that just has people telling the camera what their favourite game is and why.
  • That and the fact that there's dozens of great youtubers/podcasters out there making much better content make me think this might be sort lived.

Their content wouldn't work on TV though
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!