Reasons to be sad
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Doesn't fit in the dead thread or the annoying things thread. So I'll put this here.

Terry Jones diagnosed with Dementia. Sad face. I always liked how he came across out of all that bunch; some of whom are too used to being listened to with rapt admiration. Very low key guy and I believe rather talented, especially on the technical side of things / film making etc.

Just a wee bit sad.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Good thread. I too was saddened by the news of TJ today and like Davy saw him as a great, talented and down to earth python.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That is sad.
  • It is approaching that time of the year.
  • I was sitting down once watching the World go by and an old, cheery type sat down and started chatting. At some point a woman walked past with a short skirt and we both kind of glanced, as you do. He then started explaining that you never lose the urge in your head but there's just no response downstairs, as it were, like being paralysed below the waist. I always presumed you gradually lost interest and was rather saddened to hear it was like this instead.
  • I'm not short of reasons to be sad tbh.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    wrong
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I'm not short of reasons to be sad tbh.

I think we all have our quota.
  • I spent 2 days this week at an assessment centre for a job I've always been interested in. Came away from both days happy that I'd done the best that I could and was looking forward to the outcome - wasn't based on the number of available jobs, just pass or fail. Well, I failed.

Pleased to be in a situation where I was 1 of 16 people there, out of the 1,500+ that applied. But to come so close has been a bummer.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sounds like a competitive field, and one that you made the top 1% of

Should definitely be proud of yourself mate, and I guess/hope that this really cemented your desire to work in that field
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Man Utd scored four goals in a half.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If it's a well run assessment centre then you may be able to get some feedback.
  • I have to wait a month, but I'm promised a full report.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was it a competency based thing? If it is it's important to remember that all an evaluation about you can say is whether there was evidence of the required competencies or not.

I have had good and bad results as an applicant. I've also been an observer and have been involved in scoring candidates.
  • Yeah. There were 7 competencies in total and each of the assessments was looking at around 3 of them. I suspect I failed to really hammer the points home - I've been accused of that before.

I'm okay about it, but it does feel like the end of a dream of sorts. I'll not be applying again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's hard to stay focussed on the competencies sometimes. I'd try and not be too disheartened. It took me a long time to get over one I did particularly bad in - but I'd never right myself off because of one bad performance on one day - that is the way you have to look at it.

There is a way to "do" these things. You can over prepare but some prep - for example having examples of the competencies to mind - will help enormously.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I always presumed you gradually lost interest and was rather saddened to hear it was like this instead.

As replicated in our Sins thread.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    James Whale is very ill - heading for another thread...always enjoyed that drunken late night show in the 80s-early 90s.

• Bit of a dick politically, not been a fan.. But, when I was a foreigner, learning English, his slate night radio show was one thing I listened to which helped. I remember when he got cancer the first time around.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Aye, fuck cancer.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bit of a dick politically, not been a fan..

Nor I - but that show of his was part of the younger persons' "culture" / TV ouvre in the 90s which was a great old time for me. So it's more that than anything.
  • My brother used to go on the phone-in competitions but they never actually sent out the prizes. He was a dick for sure but it was quite exciting when you're young. I didn't even realise he was famous outside of Leeds.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I liked it when someone tried to get an insult in on the phone - he was pretty quick on the button though. :)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    "Hello, my name is Klaus, I would like to say hello to my arsehole"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!