THUMPER
  • This is an exception, though. Not all games are so difficult to tell what you're doing and how it feels to play.

No matter.
  • Yeah, I can't fathom what's going on in any of these videos either, but then again it's not the sort of game I'd buy anyway. I can't really play these rapid reaction games as the nature of my work means my reactions are tuned towards inaction rather than reaction. It certainly looks impressive tho.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm struggling with level 4. I put it down to age.
  • Yeah, that probably doesn't help either.
  • I imagine you'd be alright at getting through to the end Kow, as you understand the ins and outs of ACTUAL music and rhythm. It's certainly a game you can beat by attrition and tenacity too. Supposedly the level is the time of the song so Level 4 is 4/4. I think the ones based on 3/4 (so 6/4, 9/4) were the hardest overall.

I've seen some of the people on GAF posting S ranks on stage 9 etc. That's not gonna be me, although it's basically at the top of my "currently playing list" I can see myself playing it a lot.
  • g.man wrote:
    I can't really play these rapid reaction games as the nature of my work means my reactions are tuned towards inaction rather than reaction.

Explains the gears performances then eh!?

I'd like to try this but not at £20. What's the replay also? Score attack has never been a driving force for me in rhythm games, rather the satisfaction of hand-brain automation and comboing. This looks like it would have those but also a heavy bent on score?
  • I think the replay is tied to the score attack, in that the way to get high scores is to learn how to do the THUMP mechanic in areas that aren't telegraphed. Later levels tease you with rings, which can only be hit when you're in the air, but they are often a long way after pads you have to hit - so you need to jump off a pad, hit a perfect turn to maintain air, then thump, which in turn activates more pads down the line that boost your score. Simple in practise, but mechanically very demanding, at least to someone like me.
  • It's a £7.99 instapurchase for me I think, already got too many titles to play in my extremely limited game time atm. Having said that though, this is probably more dip-in than most.
  • I can't see past it being one of my favourite games of the year so far, but I'm well aware that people rarely track their opinions to mine. Quarter 4 will have to drop something pretty special to topple it.
  • nick_md wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    I can't really play these rapid reaction games as the nature of my work means my reactions are tuned towards inaction rather than reaction.
    Explains the gears performances then eh!?
    Hahaha. It's true though, my reactions are tuned towards doing nothing until I know exactly what just happened rather than what my brain thinks is going to happen. Comes from doing camera 1 on the footy for so long. You don't really follow the ball because the kicker may not actually kick it and fake you out, or the ball might suddenly rebound off another player and end up going in the opposite direction to the run of play. If you're pre-empting that sort of thing, then you're fucked and it looks terrible on screen. It's tricky because it's like someone throwing a punch at you. You're brain says move/flinch, but you have to override that instinct and wait to see where the punch goes before reacting.

that's my excuse anyway

g.man
  • That reads like a potentially interesting game mechanic.
  • Could be I spose.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You don't have time to react to most punches once you've seen them, you just have to watch the other guy's position (if his feet are close or wide, etc.) and predict as much as you can. One of the first things to learn is to not move away from punches, since power punches are far easier to extend than they are to shorten. With the exception of hooks and uppercuts, but you have to be close (and coil a bit) for those, so again - position.

Floyd Patterson's famous gazelle punch was a bit clumsy-looking and unsafe, but effective because it's a long-range punch that can be shortened to find the other guy's head. Unless you walk onto something as you throw it, o' course, and then you're down. You can't just throw it out there - you have to be able to read when yer opponent's cautious.

T H U M P E R
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I lik humper i am at lv 5.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin's probably montaging through with his Hit Box as I type. Don't call it a comeback.
  • I reckon a hitbox/arcade stick would be the ideal control for it TBH
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    We were talking about that, and I repped the Hit Box. But I once tried a HRAP2 with WipEout HD and it wasn't all that; too much stick travel on the JLF.

My short-throw custom, though, sure.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm using kreybord and the thumbnail of my left hand is being deformed by the spacebar.
  • If it's binary yes/no inputs then a hitbox sounds ideal. Pretty sure I saw folk on a rtg forum happy they had use for their arcade sticks with this.
  • Will try the Hitbox tonight, see if it helps, I think it will take some adjustment though, flicking the stick around on pad is pretty convenient and means you only have to use your thumb, albeit at the expense of some precision I guess. 

Anyway, I think I'm on Level 5 now. Will be opening the stream with it again at 20:00 so feel free to stop by and ask questions people who don't want to buy it without trying it, or just come and watch me get me shit pushed in by it for a bit as it slowly beats me into submission. 

http://www.twitch.tv/mm_roujin
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Completed this over last weekend. Ending level has a bastard of a final trick it throws your way before you slump back into your basic aurally dead reality and reflect on the life of a chrome beetle.

[8]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Holy shit I finally played this today. Every time I close my eyes I see that mad track. I need this game in my life asap
  • Finally finished this tonight.  Final boss is a bit irritating, but otherwise I loved it from beginning to end.  It's also entirely justified the purchase of PSVR.  (Even though, yes, you're only ever looking straight ahead.  But having that whole psychedelic maelstrom around you is rather amazing.)

Had a quick go on the new + version as well.  Same game, only faster, with just one life, and a sexier beetle.  What's not to like?
  • One of the best games of the year in my mind, and it's so totally different from the two Japan-based games that are currently being admired. FUn fact: Marc Flury who coded this cut his teeth on The Beatles Rock Band, of all things.
  • Enjoying this. Only just did level 2 but went back and redid lv1 for score (almost got S with a score if 174k or so). Then redid lv2 for fun and practice and it was... fun. 

This is fun. Can see it getting brutal later. 

Only have 4 or 5 from my FL on leaderboards. Of which 1 person (Shabby) got anywhere on it. Hmmm.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Only on steam but i'm STRAIGHT A'S BABY
  • Actually think my ranks from earlier in the thread never changed
  • How do I hit those rings in the air after a turn thingy?
  • If jump, you can hold up to stay in the air, you can do corner drifts too.
  • Cheers, I’m probably off on my timing, will give it a go.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!