Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I need to stop reading the Twitter threads about it. It’s just making me angry.
  • https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/09/how-the-left-killed-universities-and-everything-else

Pinker offering a blurb for this along side Murray and Hoff summers.

The final nail.

Entertaining evisceration though.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • "Rape industrialists" is a helluvah phrase.

But yeah cya Steve.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/liam-neeson-rape-black-man-attack-cosh-cold-pursuit-sexual-assault-interview-a8760866.html

So the thing that stands out is Neeson’s immediate move to ask about the colour of the person and his obvious casual use of the phrase black bastard. I get that he has remorse, but the remorse seems to be more about his desire to kill someone rather than remorse over categorising a whole race as a bunch of racists and looking back thinking he’s wrong.
  • Yeah it's a strange one, I feel like there needed to be a follow up question confirming if he was remorseful of being angry or being racist. It can be read either way.

Obviously he was clearly wrong on all levels at the time but as a reaction it isn't unheard of. Anger can bring out the worst in anyone, violence and racism included.

Generally I feel he has opened an important discussion though and whether he is apologetic on his anger or his racism or both I don't think shutting him down as a racist is helpful to the overall discussion.

It's a very brave move to say what he said, even if he is a racist I don't think it helps in this situation to point the finger and yell it.

The openness strikes me as more of an AA or drug rehab thing than banging the drum.
    Exposing a weakness in yourself should be met with discussion not judgement.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The journalist was definitely not doing her job by not following up. She then decided to speak to a psychologist to get a professional opinion which seemed a cop out on her part.

A lot of people are obviously pointing the finger and I don’t think it’s wholly unjustified.

And it does come down to what is the characteristic of what you are vilifying? It feels to me with how he chooses to word his anger that there is a casual racism underlying his intent. Is black bastard as a phrase common? I never hear it but then again I probably wouldn’t.

It could simply be that he is from a generation of people that do casually use phrases like that. It feels a little like the Gibson recordings with his wife/partner when he is angry and then throws out obviously racist terms.

No easy answers here.
  • Generation is definitely a point in this. Given his age it is much easier to latch onto those racist hand holds.
    We ( I assume we are roughly the same age/generation I'm talking as a 32 year old here)
    haven't ever been exposed to those clutches, it just isn't a place I would go mentally.
  • Actually I'm really quite annoyed at the interviewer here. Perhaps it wasnt their level, perhaps they were caught on the hop but the reformist is the most powerful in terms of change.

Currently reading Brand's Mentors and this seems a prime example of where a mentor could be embraced, instead they are being shunned.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Is black bastard as a phrase common? I never hear it but then again I probably wouldn’t.

Black bastard is one of the laziest insults hurled at black people. It's receded in use, but was very common in the 70's and 80's.
  • Used a lot by his generation.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think it's important that these conversations happen. We all hold leanings, unconscious or otherwise, and suppressing how people really feel isn't the way forward.

There is an obnoxious "right on" environment now that seems to not only want to suppress any feelings now, and judge those who express them - but also believe that it can be applied retrospectively.

The fact is that you have to say something is broken before you can think about fixing it. And if anyone thinks that the human race doesn't need some repairs then they need their head examined.

Black bastard was a common phrase I heard for a long time. Black enamel bastard/pig was another.

I can remember N***** brown being a common shade for balls of wool.

"Is my face black?" was a common question heard when someone was getting poor service in a pub/shop etc. The world is a different place now.

It is odd that Leeson asked what colour the rapist was - some context is needed as to where he was and under what circumstances. A man of his age from Ballymena who was a working actor in Belfast simply would not have seen a black man for the first 20-odd years of his life. So that question he made must have been made in a certain context.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Used a lot by racists in his generation.

Ftfy
    Can-of-sprite
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Out of context I'm not sure black bastard is much more offensive than fat bastard, ugly bastard, stupid bastard etc When we insult someone we tend to just latch on to whatever is in front of us. I don't think it's necessarily an indication of racism. I haven't read the thing about Neeson so I'm not really making a comment about that.
  • Black people seem to disagree with that assessment.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh, I'm sure it is offensive in many cases but I think it might be a bit much to expect people to be politically correct when they insult someone.
  • I don't think it's too much to say to people 'don't be racist'.

The cases it's offensive in are when you are saying it to, or about a black person.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If a person is angry and wants to upset you they'll use whatever they can, whether you're black or not. I don't think that makes someone a racist.
  • I dunno I kind of assume it's racist when you call somebody a black bastard then go out looking to hurt somebody just because they are black and upset you.
    Can-of-sprite
  • I've never heard somebody call somebody else a black bastard without it being blatantly racist.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Skade wrote:
    I've never heard somebody call somebody else a black bastard without it being blatantly racist.

Hmmm. I think it genuinely can have a descriptive use.

That fat bastard stole my car is technically the same as that black bastard stole my car. The insult is the word bastard, the fat or black is the adjective.

Look, before anyone gets upset I would agree the term black bastard has racist connotations and it definitely did in neesons story. But I think Kow has a point.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You think the word fat in the phrase fat bastard isn’t meant to be insulting?
  • Surely it's the association between the two words that makes it fundamentally racist.  Fat/ugly/black/whatever, the adjective is implicitly negative.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't mean it's not racist, just that these insults are intended to hurt and I don't think using them necessarily makes you an actual racist. When we're angry we jump on the first thing we can sometimes, something we know will cause offense - that's kind of the purpose.
  • If you automatically jump on racist phrases, then you're a bit, i dunno, racist.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    You think the word fat in the phrase fat bastard isn’t meant to be insulting?

I think it's part of it alright but in the same way that the below are meant as compliments

Black Adonis
    Black Goddess 

as I said, I do think there is not doubt its a racist insult but I dont know if it is directly an indication of an overtly raciast mind. 

Someone might call me an Irish bastard lets say, but I dont know if that indicates that they have a low opinion of the Irish in general. 

It's splitting hairs really, and I think in the context of Liam Neesons story, I think its very much a case of a racist attitude (bearing in mind in the story when he asks his friend to describe the rapist, she cant but he then asks for colour and off he goes). 

I do think that Neeson is trying to indicate that his mindset has changed from then and thats something which needs to be allowed. I know my parents and grandparents would use phrases in the past which myself and my sisters would cringe at or worse, but they've grown with the  times and realized that these phrases weren't harmless. If we want people to change they have to be allowed to change. It's an issue we see more often with tweets from ten years ago popping up. I know if I had have been on twitter 15-20 years ago some form of insulting comments could be dragged up. Not racist, but certainly sexist, homophobic comments which at the time were meant as a joke but the younger me didn't realize that. I may have been ok with that humour (and known it was "just a joke") but that doesnt mean the humour was ok.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Like Dave says, I think for a lot of people saying you're a black/Irish bastard is just saying you're a bastard who happens to be black or Irish, not you're a bastard because you're black or Irish. I can understand people are sensitive about these things these days but I don't really see it like that. It's not like the "do I look black?" thing, which is insulting and demeaning. But whatever.
  • Fucking cow bastards.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • It's certainly racist to go looking to kill black people because they're black, and calling then a black bastard is not the most pressing point here. As others have said, it's a very honest thing to talk about and we need to have these conversations. In fact he's probably gone up in my estimation. It's a very brave thing to admit feeling like that.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yeah I agree. Admitting to being a violent racist is the best thing Liam Neeson has ever done.
  • It's better than Taken.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!