Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    "Coloured" is an improvement on historic uh trends at least.

My dad is as dark as they come and he uses the word coloured. He’s old school and definitely not PC but he does not mean anything bad by it. He would actually think he’s being polite using that word as I guess it’s softer.

Growing up in the 70’s black was usually appended by bastard in the rough area I was initially raised in. Im guessing the few people from the Caribbean, including my dad, felt coloured was a better description than he abuse he got on the street.
  • What he said I would forgive my Grandad or even my dad for saying, it wasn't malicious.

However the chairman of the FA should be doing much, much better. They should be making a point to use the correct, acceptable terminology of the time. This is especially true for black people and football.

Race issues primarily targeted at black players are a blight on English football and a hot topic right now. To get that wrong isnt forgivable in his position. It shows to me that any work being done with Kick it Out is nothing but lip service otherwise he would naturally know the correct terms.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep agree on your points.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    "Coloured" is an improvement on historic uh trends at least.
    My dad is as dark as they come and he uses the word coloured. He’s old school and definitely not PC but he does not mean anything bad by it. He would actually think he’s being polite using that word as I guess it’s softer. Growing up in the 70’s black was usually appended by bastard in the rough area I was initially raised in. Im guessing the few people from the Caribbean, including my dad, felt coloured was a better description than he abuse he got on the street.

Yeah - I think coloured was at one time felt to be more polite than black. But then that opinion may have been formed in ignorance and without any consultation.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Coloured was deffo the correct term at some point in the 80s/90s, was my go to for a while (I'm not racist).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When it comes to racist chants or remarks during a football match - both teams should just march off. The message would soon get through. And crowds wouldn't be long in self policing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I can understand that words come and go but is coloured actually considered offensive now, or just out of date?
  • Kow wrote:
    I can understand that words come and go but is coloured actually considered offensive now, or just out of date?

I'm honestly not sure either, I heard a black (?!) person describe themself as coloured on TV last week or so but this was a guy in his 60s/70s so who knows. I think as a white guy I just have to listen to POC and use what's appropriate for current times.

• I think the answer is yes, it's offensive to ppl our generation.
  • I really did not know this.

I'm know trying to think if I use the phrase at all. Don't think I do...
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I really did not know this.

I'm know trying to think if I use the phrase at all. Don't think I do...

I mean, I'm a white guy so maybe I'm wrong :shrug:, we need black voices tbh. I think POC seems to be the least likely to offend.
  • Plus I think intent is clear, surely? If you're using 'coloured' in an honest way to be inoffensive, worst you should expect is to be corrected.
  • I definitely remember it being a term used without malice when I was a kid but these days (or the past 20 years!) it seems to be mostly people who haven't kept up that use it.

I can see the offense. It implied white is default and "coloured" is changed from that to be different.
    If anything, scientifically white people should be called decoloured but that may imply a purification.

Stick with black until black people tell us otherwise, then say that.
  • I mean, Scrubs covered this back in 2003, and that show was hardly unproblematic.

In this country at least, its usage was frowned upon since at least the 80's. You might just roll your eyes at your Granded talking about 'a coloured fellow', but the chairman of the FA really should know better.
  • Kow wrote:

I feel sorry for the guy. You can say people of colour but you can't say coloured people, so it's no wonder old guys get confused. I understand some find people of colour offensive, but currently most don't, I think.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Don't feel sorry for him, in his position he has no excuse for not getting it right.
  • I think the best term is non-white or ethnic minority. I've never grasped the logical thought that makes people of colour less offensive than coloured.
  • Its not really about which one is correct for me.
    It is purely that he got it wrong.

He is the chairman of a business in an industry facing serious racism issues. If in that situation you hire someone to do media training so you know you are getting it right.

Not doing so shows contempt.
  • I'm not sure it shows contempt. Incompetency maybe, which is enough to show he's not right for the job, but I still feel sorry for him.
  • Just Google Greg Clarke, look up the things he has said in just the 4 years he's been at the FA and tell me if you still feel sorry for him.
  • I'm not sure it shows contempt. Incompetency maybe, which is enough to show he's not right for the job, but I still feel sorry for him.

Because he couldn't be fucked to take the time to ensure he had this stuff down.

We aren't talking any dickhead on the street here, he is the chairman of the FA. Knowing these things is part of the job.
  • Just Google Greg Clarke, look up the things he has said in just the 4 years he's been at the FA and tell me if you still feel sorry for him.

Yeah I can believe the guy sucked already.

Well this I didn't know, so maybe it's the final straw.
  • I mean, Scrubs covered this back in 2003, and that show was hardly unproblematic.

In this country at least, its usage was frowned upon since at least the 80's. You might just roll your eyes at your Granded talking about 'a coloured fellow', but the chairman of the FA really should know better.

This isn't really an argument two white guys should get into, but in the 80s coloured was fine, in my experience. Unless everyone I knew was racist, which may be the case, I dunno.

Aside: When I was well young, like 6 or so, my mum would leave us with our nana (grandma's mum), and I'd often whinge at her, ask her where mum was, to which after constant nagging from me she'd reply, "she's run off with a black man!" which I guess was meant to shock me and shut me up. These days, looking back, I just think, if she did, fair play mum, get yer fill.

(To the best of knowledge, mother did not run off with a black man).

• She did, the black man in question was none other than West Indies captain and superstar batsman Viv Richards.
  • Brazen hussy, smh.
  • Hang on. We can still use ‘people of colour’ right?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • In the US. Doesn’t seem all that adopted here
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tell me we can still have funny tinge?!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've used coloured in the past, was told it wasn't good, stopped using it. But I've kinda gone zero tolerance the last couple of years. Bloke at work (unskilled warehouse job, white Midlands fella, late 50s) started getting pally with me recently, then described how some lad he was showing the ropes to got upset when he called him too slow. Admittedly 80% of the staff there are tossing it off most of the time, but anyway. He tells me that the other bloke was too foreign and didn't speak good enough English to understand that he wasn't being rude to him and shouldn't have been upset with him. Then says to me "anyway can't believe he gets to come to my country then have me told off", I flipped really slowly. Asked him to repeat the phrase, said "look at me, you think I want to hear that, half Indian half Italian", he starts immediately talking about his Indian mates and how some of his friends are black. I said "I don't care, I'm not even gonna call you a racist, just you said a racist thing you little turd" the flipping is now starting to happen as I'm lecturing him I realise I've got one hand round his neck and I'm dragging him to his supervisors so he can explain why I'm gripping him up. Really fucked up there, let go of him and he dropped, no one has seen it, but on the plus side he's not spoken to me since

Edit: tldr I'm very happy to call out even casual or consequential racism, fuck it, folk will either learn and grow, or continue being a twat
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!