@cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Out if the way sparky

Also you'd only notice as you'd be worried someone was talking your job
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Jesus Fuck
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • To his colleagues he was just taking Thandie for a test drive. 
    He was faux fiddling with his iPad to make it look like he was adjusting her settings at the time as well.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • My point entirely.  Plus it don't matter if they're repairing androids in perspex see-through box rooms.  Nobody is expecting them to suddenly come self aware, so no ones watching everyone's move.  The butchers are just too busy sewing up their meat bags and sending them out to the slaughter again.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • It's not the walk about that bothers me, it's the two guys agreeing to it, massively contrived.
  • Can't stand any scene with that 'Narrative' writer English tosser. 

Absolutely shite acting.
  • He's so out of place that it seems deliberate. Either a writers joke or another robot.
  • I_R wrote:
    It's not the walk about that bothers me, it's the two guys agreeing to it, massively contrived.

Exactly. It's basic story telling, make motivations for actions obvious, plausible and/or easy to assume. This was a nonsense and ran contrary to every interaction between host and employee. It broke the rules and didn't explain why. It's not "overthinking" it, it's basic film /tv watching.

Apparently they had a big break in production after ep 5 . Hopefully that doesn't mean the rest of the EPs are as shite as this one.

I agree the story dude is awful.
  • I've been enjoying this but as others have said not paying as close attention to notice the timeline stuff. I must find that vid actually. I noticed in ep 6 the different logo, but I thought that was just the old logo? After all Bernard had to go "downstairs" to the old tech to interface with it. Or is there some other logo shenanigans?
    The Newton stuff though did make me pause though. I  enjoyed it but...  Fair enough the butchers have found a way to modify the robots, using them for unofficial paid sexy times, cool ill buy that but the two guys agreeing to do it and then not decreasing her intelligence was hard to understand.
    Is that Xerxes as the baddie gunslinger dressed in black?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Felt like a little bit of a breakthrough with this episode. Something actually happened. A character (Thandie Newton’s brothel madam) actually had some agency. Admittedly, this was enabled by other characters doing dumb things. But still. And Bernard’s engineer girl / surrogate daughter also did something which actually had purpose. Things are looking up.

Mind you, no screen time for the two young guys who may or may not be in the past. Or for Dolores. Maybe progressing two actual storylines at once was too much for the writers. They sure as shit didn’t progress any of the other narrative threads (like the disgruntled creative, the mysterious world builder, or the expert gamer).

So … I have a couple of basic theories.

Ford killed Arnold 30(ish) years ago, after a disagreement over the future of their shared invention. Arnold somehow ‘saved’ himself, as a ghost in the machine.

Also 30 years ago, Young William and his pal Logan visit Westworld. They work for Delos, who plan to invest in the park. Young William leaves Delos after his experiences in the game. He starts a charitable foundation and grows up to be the Man in Black, returning every year to try and find Arnold, fix the park, save Dolores and all the other hosts, etc etc.

In the present day, Delos are attempting a hostile takeover. This plan may or may not include killing off Ford, who is fully aware of what’s happening. Ford thinks he can nudge William/Man in Black in the right direction to ‘solve’ the game, bring true sapience to the hosts, and scupper the Delos plan.

Maeve is an outlier. She has reached sapience and self-awareness on her own and is going to complicate matters, one way or another.
  • I_R wrote:
    Background Yul Bryner was nice.
    A thousand times this^
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • A couple of episodes ago Ford told Bernard to remember they were machines and not people. This was re-emphasised when he told an engineer off for covering up a host.

That seems at odds with what happened with his robot family in this episode - I think he's up to something!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    Background Yul Bryner was nice.
    A thousand times this^

Glad it wasn't just my imagination, I was only going to think of him as android black hat, but yeah, pretty obvious who it was
  • I almost liked Taggarts sidekick as the robot dad as much as background Yul. There's been a murrrrder.
  • I don't have the slightest clue what's going on
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I don't have the slightest clue what's going on

Wrong thread mate.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • This week. Erm....
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Bernard's a robot! I knew it!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Savage at the end.
  • It would have had more impact if they'd managed to make any of the characters real. As it is, it's a clever box of tricks. Well acted and executed though, just a bit empty. It also sets off another round of questions - is that a new Theresa getting made and who else has been secretly created down there. Hints at the staff being hosts as well. Everyone's a robot basically, including Ford, which is a bit dull.
  • More jokes re maeve here. Absolutely hate that storyline. Hate the buffy style management girl, and the whole corporate battle aspect. Called Bernard way back.

I hate the Maeve thing cos it is just unbelievable, but the corporate thing is a little shit too. Why would you allow hosts as staff? If you value the IP cos you can clone and replace humans for your own corporate designs, how can you not identify the risk that it is being done to you already.

It's not that it's a dumb show, it's that it has aspirations to be smart.
  • Awwwwwh sheeeet dawg! Bernard be a robot f'sho! Daaaaaahum.
    Dem tiddies doe
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Okay, that was a good episode. We’re finally getting somewhere.

I’m mostly still happy with my previous theories.
    poprock wrote:
    Ford killed Arnold 30(ish) years ago, after a disagreement over the future of their shared invention. Arnold somehow ‘saved’ himself, as a ghost in the machine.

I’m sticking by that.

poprock wrote:
    Also 30 years ago, Young William and his pal Logan visit Westworld. They work for Delos, who plan to invest in the park. Young William leaves Delos after his experiences in the game. He starts a charitable foundation and grows up to be the Man in Black, returning every year to try and find Arnold, fix the park, save Dolores and all the other hosts, etc etc.

I’m sticking by that as well, though now we know a bit more about William and Logan’s roles at Delos.

poprock wrote:
    In the present day, Delos are attempting a hostile takeover. This plan may or may not include killing off Ford, who is fully aware of what’s happening. Ford thinks he can nudge William/Man in Black in the right direction to ‘solve’ the game, bring true sapience to the hosts, and scupper the Delos plan.

Sticking by this too. Now we have clues to why Delos want the park and confirmation that Ford knows exactly what they are up to.

poprock wrote:
    Maeve is an outlier. She has reached sapience and self-awareness on her own and is going to complicate matters, one way or another.

This I’m less happy with now. She is an outlier, but we now know that the hosts retaining their memories is the key – and that’s what leads to a sort of sapience. Maeve is the first to be open about retaining her memories. One of the engineers hinted at something potentially horrible … I’m paraphrasing, but “Everything here is designed to keep you within the park, even the skin on your back” – is it just me, or does that suggest that her body will destroy itself if she leaves?
  • Your "theories" are a bit shit tbh
  • To be fair though, this show could still be going absolutely anywhere.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Your "theories" are a bit shit tbh

Got something better to suggest, then?
  • The reveal of Bernard as a robot and Ford's pawn is certainly no surprise, but it throws up a lot of questions and possibilities. It means that Ford has been privy to all Bernards conversations with other cast members which is why Ford is so aware of all the machinations going on in the company.

Anyway, remember way back when Ford showed Bernard the picture of young Ford and Arnold?
    Screen%20Shot%202016-11-16%20at%2011.25.16_zpszvhhjbvp.png

westworld-arnold-700x398_zpsouowqykp.jpg

It was widely assumed at the time that the guy on the right was Arnold, but that's not the case. That's actually Ford's father. We know this because it's the same guy who is the robot Ford's father when Bernard first visit's Ford's mysterious cabin in the woods.
    However.
    I think this was a piece of misdirection, because if you look at the photo, it's actually framed to have three people in it rather than two.
    I'll wager that Bernard is actually Arnold, but because he's now a robot, he can't see himself in the photo and instead sees an empty space where he should be.
    This all ties in with the Bernard multiple timelines theory.
    The conversations with Delores could be human Bernard/Arnold thirty five years ago, while he also exists in the other timelines because he's a robot by then and consequently never changes appearance.

It's all a bit of a clusterfuck tbh. Let's remember that this is a show that was shut down mid shoot because they were having "problems." I suspect there was a tonne of re-writing mid season because they were tying themselves in knots with the narrative.

Perhaps Ford is a robot? Frankly he could turn out to be anything. It's that sort of show.
    I just hope that they manage to tie it up in a satisfactory conclusion over one season, because if all the popular theories prove correct, then it needs to be one and done. I can't see it getting the ratings for further seasons.
  • g.man wrote:
    I just hope that they manage to tie it up in a satisfactory conclusion over one season, because if all the popular theories prove correct, then it needs to be one and done. I can't see it getting the ratings for further seasons.

Season two was confirmed earlier this week. 

Nolan keeps saying in interviews that episode eight (the next episode) is the one where everything comes together.
  • poprock wrote:
    Season two was confirmed earlier this week.
    Oh ffs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!