Westworld - Full Of Spoilers
  • How am I guilty of picking a side in an internet battol about a tv show? I had my own theories in ep 2 and i posted them in page 1 of this thread. I've consistently dicked on the show since. I agree with gman's view about the show.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    I was the same m8, until ep 3 when I realised some stuff made zero sense. I was thinking ok there must be VR going on, looked online, saw the timelines posts, was like wotevs, watched 4 and was like aha, then I watched EPs 1-3 again and it made sense.

I'm with G about whether this is a good way to do a show. The actual show has to be interesting, and for me that only just about happens because of Hopkins, Ed Harris and Bernard. Everything else seems below par.

• Only just caught up with all the episodes and the theories. This show is quite the experience. It's very difficult to establish whether the thing I'm watching is any good or not. It's been put together in such a way that anything can be explained by anything. Is the thing you've just noticed an unintentional plot hole, a hint at something to come that will be resolved, a red herring or just nothing.

Take the Maeve stuff (I can't stand that character btw). Why does she wake up in the same tech guys place all the time? How can they get away with all that stuff without anyone noticing? There's people in other rooms just over there and they've stated how closely they're monitored. None of that is really important but the answer could either be shitty writing or 'because they're all robots and they're all on their pre-determined path'. And you might never know the answer to that, or you might find out in season 4 or something that the episode you saw three years ago was genius / toss.

It's an exercise in supreme hoodwinking. Every character seems to answer important questions with a cryptic remark, nothing gets solved and on and on it goes. The timeline theory really fucks this show. Either it's wrong and the show is a mess, or it's right (it seems to be) and the deliberate deceiving of the viewer crosses the line over what you should be allowed to get away with (like the bit where they notice in the control room that Dolores is off her loop, then immediately cut to a guy checking with her why she's off her loop, despite these events being thirty years apart). If you're building your story around a mystery, you can play with these things to wrong foot the viewer and mess around with them, but some of their tricks are just taking the piss. Or are they? Maybe they're intentionally fucking with all the rules that the viewer expects them to play by and they want them to break down and for you not to trust anything you see.

Anyway, it's a good watch despite that and it could turn out to be genius. Or the Lost sequel that no one wanted.

It's seems pure Nolan though. Good looking, high concept, plenty to like, but ultimately dumb execution and not as smart as it thinks it is.
  • I reckon that if they tie some main threads up within this first season, it’s worth sticking with. If not, fuck ’em and the mystery box they rode in on.
  • monkey wrote:
    Only just caught up with all the episodes and the theories. This show is quite the experience. It's very difficult to establish whether the thing I'm watching is any good or not. It's been put together in such a way that anything can be explained by anything. Is the thing you've just noticed an unintentional plot hole, a hint at something to come that will be resolved, a red herring or just nothing.

Take the Maeve stuff (I can't stand that character btw). Why does she wake up in the same tech guys place all the time? How can they get away with all that stuff without anyone noticing? There's people in other rooms just over there and they've stated how closely they're monitored. None of that is really important but the answer could either be shitty writing or 'because they're all robots and they're all on their pre-determined path'. And you might never know the answer to that, or you might find out in season 4 or something that the episode you saw three years ago was genius / toss.

It's an exercise in supreme hoodwinking. Every character seems to answer important questions with a cryptic remark, nothing gets solved and on and on it goes. The timeline theory really fucks this show. Either it's wrong and the show is a mess, or it's right (it seems to be) and the deliberate deceiving of the viewer crosses the line over what you should be allowed to get away with (like the bit where they notice in the control room that Dolores is off her loop, then immediately cut to a guy checking with her why she's off her loop, despite these events being thirty years apart). If you're building your story around a mystery, you can play with these things to wrong foot the viewer and mess around with them, but some of their tricks are just taking the piss. Or are they? Maybe they're intentionally fucking with all the rules that the viewer expects them to play by and they want them to break down and for you not to trust anything you see.

Anyway, it's a good watch despite that and it could turn out to be genius. Or the Lost sequel that no one wanted.

It's seems pure Nolan though. Good looking, high concept, plenty to like, but ultimately dumb execution and not as smart as it thinks it is.

Pretty bang on imo
  • Nolan is a hack.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Not the same Nolan doe.
  • They are all hacks.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Deleted us pace comment
  • I don't know if that's a nailed on theory in the latest episode, as I'm yet to watch it, but I thought the same. I think the Arnold/Bernard interviewing Delores is like 35 years ago when Arnold was alive and kicking.

I rewatched episode 2 last week, and with 3 timelines in mind, it begins to make sense. I would be staggered if this wasn't the case.

One thing that stuck in my mind is that Maeve only started to become self aware after Delores muttered something to her. I don't know if it's significant or not.

Looking forward to the next few episodes.
  • I forgot this airs today
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Good crack- just gotta tidy up in the final episode, mayber
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Now it's aired let me big myself up again
    There are three timelines

One is present with Ed Harris et al.

One is the past, with young Ed (aka the McPoyle brother) leading to the incident mentioned "30 years ago".

Finally the voices whispering to Dolores and the "interview" with Dolores are her talking to Arnold.

That's right Arnold is Bernard.

So Bernard is Anthony Hopkins' attempt to recreate his partner.

• I'm struggling to care about any of it now. Zero stakes action scenes, not bothering to do anything with 99% of the characters and the constant bending of the rules to fit the script have made it a dull watch. It's taking itself way too seriously to even watch it as high budget fun.
  • Well done Gonz.

What’s surprising me is that it’s actually making enough sense for predictions to pan out. Maybe it’s better put together than we thought.

Episode nine felt a bit flat, somehow. Eight was more fun.

So, remaining questions: Does/did William kill Logan 30 years ago? Did Dolores kickstart Maeve’s awakening? Who’s actually going be Wyatt (because Teddy’s memories ain’t reliable)?
  • Pointless but fun: Westworld In Data

(It’s this sort of thing that proves the show isn’t as clever as it thinks. If it really were deep, this data would be illuminating. As it is, it’s meaningless fluff.)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Been avoiding this thread but now I'm up to date. I can basically overlook almost all the flaws and inconsistencies and enjoy it as a silly sci fi romp. But 9 episodes in and I can't figure out what the deal is when the hosts are killed. Sometimes it seems they have to collect them, sometimes they just pop awake in the lab. Sometimes they bring their injuries and sometimes they don't. It's beginning to piss me off. Those two just set themselves on fire in episode 9 and I have no idea what the fuck they expect to happen and how yer wan has any idea what to expect either, and it's a pretty important plot point to have so unclear. Stupid fucking program.
  • I remember when Gonz thought it was all a VR simulation...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Ah- that's been my itch too, kow
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • There was a throwaway comment in the very first episode about how we (the human race) have surpassed sickness and overcome mortality. Basically that medical science is so advanced they can cure/fix anything and prevent ageing. Ford (I think) said something about humanity being close to conquering death.

Case in point: When Maeve slit a tech’s throat his partner was able to repair/heal it in a few seconds. No harm done.

Because the hosts are basically synthetic humans (in the present day sections of the plot) all that medical magic works on them too.

I figure that when the hosts broken bodies are piled up in holding tanks, they’re just awaiting their turn for repair/medical attention.

The ones lined up creepily in Ford’s basement aren’t dead either. Bernard described them as ‘hobbled’, which I took to mean ‘switched off’.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Except when Dolores gets cut open we see Terminator style stupid pistons etc inside there.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yeah but that's in that time line so she should be a bit terminator
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But she's regularly brought back to the lab when she's killed so they should realise that and not be confused or surprised about her being an older/different model.

And anyway, my bugbear is how does she get back there? She fainted in one episode, miles from her usual place and just snapped awake in the lab. And then was immediately back where she had been
  • Kow wrote:
    Been avoiding this thread but now I'm up to date. I can basically overlook almost all the flaws and inconsistencies and enjoy it as a silly sci fi romp. But 9 episodes in and I can't figure out what the deal is when the hosts are killed. Sometimes it seems they have to collect them, sometimes they just pop awake in the lab. Sometimes they bring their injuries and sometimes they don't. It's beginning to piss me off. Those two just set themselves on fire in episode 9 and I have no idea what the fuck they expect to happen and how yer wan has any idea what to expect either, and it's a pretty important plot point to have so unclear. Stupid fucking program.
    Yeah that is annoying. Surely setting themselves on fire isn't the best way to kill themselves. But more importantly, it means you don't know whether killing any host has impact or not. Is Bernard gone for good or is he going to be wandering around again, completely oblivious in the first scene of the next episode? 

I'm still edging towards an opinion that some of this is intentional and they're going for some meta viewer trolling stuff (not the Thandie Newton fire death - that was just stupid). I'm seeing it as Ford as a metaphor for the writer who has complete control over all the rules and all the characters, knows the tropes inside out and wants to tear it all up. He's literally digging at the foundations of the place and creating chaos with established storylines to build a 'new narrative'. Which is sort of what they're doing with the show. This reading may be bullshit though.
  • Kow wrote:
    Except when Dolores gets cut open we see Terminator style stupid pistons etc inside there.

That was supposed to reveal to you that you were actually watching something from 30 years ago, with the old-gen robots.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    She's been levelled up in the more timeline(?), I don't think she's been back and operated on in the past- they were just convos

Anyway...how do they transit hosts to and from the butchers /et al./?
  • Kow wrote:
    And anyway, my bugbear is how does she get back there? She fainted in one episode, miles from her usual place and just snapped awake in the lab. And then was immediately back where she had been

We’ve also seen the tech crews clearing up after a gunfight, dragging host’s bodies back to the labs for repair.

They have hidden lifts, leading to underground corridors and labs. It’s not rocket science.

The awkward part, logistically, isn’t the hosts. It’s the human guests. Do they make the guests leave the park between days? And clear up overnight? Or what? Surely that’s gotta break the suspension of disbelief.

You’re missing the point that we’re not watching everything unfolding in chronological order. When you see Dolores immediately back where she had been, that’s Dolores on a different day. Or in a different year. Or 30 years later. Hosts memories are 100% perfect (unlike fuzzy human memories), so when they start to remember previous ‘lives’ they get confused between what’s happening now and what’s a memory. We, the viewers, have been experiencing that too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have an idea that maybe there are multiple models of each character and they just wake up a copy when there isn't too much damage. But frankly, I think it's just down to piss poor story telling.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    We’ve also seen the tech crews clearing up after a gunfight, dragging host’s bodies back to the labs for repair. You’re missing the point that we’re not watching everything unfolding in chronological order. When you see Dolores immediately back where she had been, that’s Dolores on a different day. Or in a different year. Or 30 years later. Hosts memories are 100% perfect (unlike fuzzy human memories), so when they start to remember previous ‘lives’ they get confused between what’s happening now and what’s a memory. We, the viewers, have been experiencing that too.

But both things happens when the human characters in the story are there too so it must be in the same time line.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!