NES Classic Edition (The mini one)
‹ Previous123456713
  • Anyone else get one of these?

I pre ordered it on a whim in June then it turned up today - I was a touch too young for the NES the first time around so I missed it (The SNES was my first console) - only had a quick play with it but it's neat enough.

A few thoughts so far:

- It's tiny - far smaller than I'd assumed it would be.

- I'm going to need an extension lead for the pad. It's only a couple of feet long.

- The UI for picking games is quite nicely done. A good balance of usability and retro.

- Mario Bros 2 is weird as fuck. I know now it was reskinned from some Japanese platformer - but it's just so, so odd.

Looking forward to playing Zelda and Metroid properly for the first time.
  • Apparently already in short supply and bring offered on eBay for ridiculous money.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • I'm not allowed to buy my niece and nephew one for Christmas, so the stock shortages are a bit of a moot point 'cause, as much as I want one, it's be a bit of a pointless purchase for myself.
  • Yeah, I checked Nintendo site and sold out. No doubt more will me made available soon.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's all part of the Switch master plan.  One half decent mum on mum punch-up in Beatties and the Mini will be the must-have unavailable Christmas item.  Back on the map.
  • danclarke wrote:

- Mario Bros 2 is weird as fuck. I know now it was reskinned from some Japanese platformer - but it's just so, so odd.

I regularly, and for no apparent reason, have the Mario 2 theme tune running through my head. I never got very far with the actual game, it is an odd one.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I regularly, and for no apparent reason, have the Mario 2 theme tune running through my head. I never got very far with the actual game, it is an odd one.

I had a tune stuck in my head for a long long time, I only found out last year it was from GB Super Mario Land, a game I haven't touched for over 15 years. No idea how that happens.
  • One of my workmates got his in the post today. It really is bloody tiny. Well made too – feels like a quality piece of kit. Everybody in the studio wanted one as soon as they saw it, and that’s without even plugging it in.
  • I'd be really interested in a Super Nintendo one.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I suspect Nintendo are way ahead of you,
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got Bone one and it's cute as fuck
  • danclarke wrote:
    Anyone else get one of these?
    Yup, although, despite doing fuck all today, I haven't plugged it in yet. The fucking ridiculous cable length is part of the issue, I'm not sure where I'm going to play it; the cable kinda rules out the living room telly. It's kinda pissed me off; working out where and how to set it up shouldn't be a fucking hassle.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I cancelled my order in favour of a Raspberry Pi and RetroPie. I regret nothing.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I cancelled my order in favour of a Raspberry Pi and RetroPie. I regret nothing.

Lies, I recall posting this sillt bugger when I saw it leaked, you were first amongst the "what the fuck's that"s
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Q1nZVdK.jpg

I still regret nothing.
  • I got one. And a controller. They are going for about four times rrp on ebay. I feel for anyone who missed out to scalpers. 

Can't wait to play balloon trip on it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:

That's a crap list. Bubble Bobble at 19! Fecking ediot.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Mega Man 2 > Castlevania II > Punch-Out!! > the Marios > the rest. Shoulda had Track & Field II in there.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    RaspPie and RetroPie it is.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    I've no idea about the details, prices etc. of any of this stuff, but am intrigued by this possibility. A proper retro machine is appealing. Not sure when I'll get round to it mind.

The NES thing looks nice, but pretty limited since you can't add any further games to it.

• Gamermike wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:

I had a tune stuck in my head for a long long time, I only found out last year it was from GB Super Mario Land, a game I haven't touched for over 15 years. No idea how that happens.

Which one?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    I've no idea about the details, prices etc. of any of this stuff, but am intrigued by this possibility. A proper retro machine is appealing. Not sure when I'll get round to it mind.

The NES thing looks nice, but pretty limited since you can't add any further games to it.

This here, plus pretty much any USB joystick and you'll be good to go. Takes a bit of faffing to get set up, but will emulate up to PS1 era, possibly a little beyond (although you may have to think about cooling and the size of the memory card when you start getting into disk-based and 3D games).
  • Japanese mini nes looks great. a few japan only games in their list

mini_famicom_box.jpg
  • Here’s the full list of titles included in Nintendo’s mini Famicom:

Atlantis no Nazo
    Balloon Fight
    Castlevania
    Donkey Kong
    Double Dragon 2: The Revenge
    Downtown Nekketsu Kōshinkyoku Soreyuke Daiundōkai
    Dr. Mario
    Excitebike
    Final Fantasy 3
    Galaga
    Ghosts n Goblins
    Gradius
    Ice Climber
    Kirby’s Adventure
    Mario Bros.
    Mario Open Golf
    Mega Man 2
    Metroid
    Ninja Gaiden
    Pac-Man
    River City Ransom
    Solomon’s Key
    Super C
    Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    The Legend of Zelda
    Tsuppari Oozumou
    Yie Ar Kung Fu
    Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
  • Yossarian wrote:
    This here, plus pretty much any USB joystick and you'll be good to go. Takes a bit of faffing to get set up, but will emulate up to PS1 era, possibly a little beyond (although you may have to think about cooling and the size of the memory card when you start getting into disk-based and 3D games).
    That seems acceptable. Would presumably need to add a HDMI cable as well.

Up to PS1 would be fine. It's mostly SNES/MD and late 80s arcade stuff I'm interested in.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, plus an HDMI.

Arcade looks more complicated, unlike console games there were often several slightly different versions of most arcade games, plus a wide range of emulators, some of which work better for certain games than others. But, there are various pieces of software which should help automate the organisation of this stuff, although I'm yet to attempt it.
  • OK, thanks. I'll get a better idea if I ever seriously look into it. In the meantime, I probably shouldn't derail this thread any longer.
  • I made a Retro Pie a while back, love the thing!

For the same price as the NES mini you can get everything you need, loads of guides online to do it I used this one , a bit of coding/installing is required but nothing too tricky and I now have a HDMI machine stocked up with 64GB of stuff.

Obviously legality is questionable but that's by the by.

As for the NES Mini, it's a nice bit of kit, a friend got one but I can't help but feel it's over priced for what it is, but it does show Nintendo are the best at reselling the same old games over and over again.  Also, that Bubble Bobble song is now in my bloody head again, it took about 10 years to get rid of it but now it's there, and it won't go.
    ---
    PSN - radioninty
    Lego, Labour & Resogun
  • I think if you look at as:

A neat desk item
    And a nes classic controller
    And then 2 quid a game

It's not that bad a price.

‹ Previous123456713

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!