Broken Games: Bugs, Crashes and Poor Performance
  • It's not a new thing for games to be released with bugs and technical issues, but it seems to be becoming more normal now, and even more accepted in big releases. Clearly a byproduct of more complex games and the 'patch it later' approach to publishing, and yet day one patches don't necessarily address major issues, and you're left playing a bit of a mess for a good few months at least while wondering whether they'll ever get round to doing anything about it.

Most recently I've had major issues with my 2 most played games this year, X-Com 2 and Invisible Inc. on PS4 (both turn-based strategy games, and both conversions of PC games, whether that has any relevance or not). As I mentioned in the X-Com thread, the framerate is terrible a lot of the time, almost stuttering to a halt even in cutscenes, and the loading times are a joke. Apparently, the PC version also had the loading problems, and I don't think they've been addressed since its release in February. Basically, as the game goes on the loading times increase between missions, until gradually you find yourself waiting literally 5 minutes at a time and wondering whether it's worth it.

With Invis Inc. it was more forgivable in a way because it's a small indie game worked on by a few people who made an effort to patch the issues as soon as possible (although it still took a while). With something like X-Com 2 I feel like I'm paying for a full price game and getting a test version, and it's not good enough.

So, I suppose I wanted to know what you lot thought about the situation, and what other examples there are. Is it really worse than it used to be? Also, should review scores reflect these issues more? X-Com 2 is a great game and for that deservedly gets big review scores, but then that hardly discourages publishers from releasing more buggy games in the future.
  • I assume we can add the latest bf to this list?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • This is the Bethesda catch-all thread yeah?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Regular multi gig updates that make no discernable difference to the game are what really infuriate.
  • *Insert dank meme here.*
  • The whole process does kind of make being late to games by years an advantage. GWG and discount stuff is not so good for mp, but great if you want to try a campaign.

(although, Tbh, looks like I got to the division at a good time.)
  • The rate of updates post Witcher 3 launch made me stop playing the game early on. I figured the patches would keep coming and if I came back to the game in a few months it would be the best possible version. Trouble is, I haven't gone back.
  • As I discussed with @jonb on xcom2 thread. That game probably has the worst load times I've ever seen. Especially later on in the game, starting a mission or going back to base I go off make a cup or tea or something and come back 5 minutes later. It's crazy. The only thing I can think of is that the game is dumped into memory and the cd isn't used apart frm initial boot up. That would explain the slowness of loading screen if it has to swap and swap out memory pages.

Besides that it's one of my favourite games of the year.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    XCOM 2 had some serious issues when it first released on PC to. I think it took me two days to get it working.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    This is the Bethesda catch-all thread yeah?

I expected this to be the first response but second will do.
    Syph79 wrote:
    The rate of updates post Witcher 3 launch made me stop playing the game early on. I figured the patches would keep coming and if I came back to the game in a few months it would be the best possible version. Trouble is, I haven't gone back.

This is something you should rectify.  I came back to it a year later and, while it's still got its quirks, it's a remarkable game and worthy of your time.
    Get schwifty.
  • It's a bugbear most of us probably have. Just recently I was longing for the days when I could just put in a game and just play it straight away without problems. I think it was Gears 4 not loading that annoyed me. And forced installs and day one mahoosive patches really annoy.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm aiming to give it another go in the New Year. Too much to play right now.
  • I remember my 360 started dying and when playing Crackdown the game would only load with warping ps1-level textures. It reminded me of Twisted Metal. I think the nostalgia hit was more enjoyable than the repair process.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Facewon wrote:
    The whole process does kind of make being late to games by years an advantage.
    It's an important consideration, especially when you can get complete versions with DLC thrown in (then again it doesn't help with games that never fix their problems properly). And yet a lot of people still seem to be pre-ordering or buying the day one 'not quite working yet' release.

It all goes together with these shitty review embargoes that have become standard, because the full game isn't what's on the disc anymore. But maybe its time reviewers started pushing back a bit and being more critical of these issues in their scores.

Looking at metacritic for XCom 2 reviews and most are still 80+, with only one knocking it down to 60 for its technical issues. It kind of doesn't deserve that, but then it kind of does, and maybe it's not the worst idea to be harsh about this stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Similar things have been posted before, but here's Engadget arguing in favour of day 1 patches:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/08/day-one-patch-no-mans-sky-always-on/

FWIW, I think there are positives to this. Once upon a time, games could launch full of missed bugs and these could never be addressed. At least these days, if that happens, a fix can be pushed out.
  • Pretty sure XCOM2 is right as rain on PC now, even though it was awful at launch which is one advantage of the format. The second advantage is mods that have patched in all sorts of useful things that were either omitted from, or slightly messed up in the base version. Console was never a lead platform so I imagine the dreadful loading times are a concession to actually getting it to work on hamstrung hardware. 

Dishonored 2 is the opposite - I imagine it works perfectly fine on console, but on PC people with sub 10X0* series cards are reporting all sorts of issues from unstable framerate that has absolutely nothing to do with the graphical quality selected, to anti-aliasing issues and flat out crashes. Unsurprisingly it is published by Bethesda who feel that although reviews really work for them, and they're totally behind supporting reviews... will no longer get review copies out to the press in time for them to pick up on these kind of glaring issues.

Edit: although I am hearing on RPS that even people with 1080s are having no luck. Touch wood it has been fine for me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Telltale's Batman game on the PC has some of the controls mapped to the wrong buttons on the controller. Still hasn't been fixed.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Similar things have been posted before, but here's Engadget arguing in favour of day 1 patches:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/08/day-one-patch-no-mans-sky-always-on/

FWIW, I think there are positives to this. Once upon a time, games could launch full of missed bugs and these could never be addressed. At least these days, if that happens, a fix can be pushed out.

This is always the tension isn't it? I don't mind this optimistic view, except that the perception that patches are now just a crutch factored into release makes it hard to believe. Given the change in landscape and, you know, internet, getting clean Data on bugs at release then vs now is tricky.

(unless it isn't, and someone has done the work?)
  • Yeah, the thing is that although bugs couldn't be fixed in the past, for that reason they didn't happen very often (at least on consoles). And when game spoiling bugs did happen the games usually got poorly reviewed for it.

Nowadays it seems like the majority of big games have problems, sometimes quite significant, and the expectation is they'll get fixed even when they sometimes don't.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Although the other point mentioned in that article is that games are vastly larger and more complex than they used to be before they could be patched so that needs to be taken into account. I mean, if you're looking at bugs per X lines of code, current games probably stand up quite well.
  • I mentioned complexity in the OP. It's clearly an issue.

But there's a certain level of expectation regardless, isn't there, below which the thing just isn't functioning as it's supposed to?

I'm not going to complain about the occasional crash, or slowdown, but it's not uncommon for far worse stuff to get through, which effectivly ruins certain sections or game modes and should have been picked up and dealt with pre-release.

I just hope it starts to affect pre-orders and 'day one' sales at some point, as people realise you just can't trust a game to function properly out the box. Otherwise it can just get worse.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, that ain't happening.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Am I correct in thinking the Japanese generally bug test much more ironclad like or is that cray? I guess Street Fighter V shoots that down.
  • I don't think Street Fighter V's problem was testing. More like out before they even got to the testing phase.
  • Does the master chief collection work yet? That was supposed to be a disaster at launch.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, it's been fixed.
  • JonB wrote:
    I just hope it starts to affect pre-orders and 'day one' sales at some point, as people realise you just can't trust a game to function properly out the box. Otherwise it can just get worse.
    To add, I just wanted to quote this from the Dishonored 2 thread because it seems so relevant here:
    MattyJ wrote:
    It seems all games are down in sales this year? I keep hearing things like Gears, CoD, Battlefield, Titanfall etc haven't sold as well as expected.

Edit - should read thred first. But it seems either people are generally spending less money or are being way more cautious after disappointments/fuck ups with launch. There have been so many games with launch issues it's not surprising people may wait a week or two. No one want's another No Man's Sky on their hands.
    Hope this is true.
  • Ta. I for one rarely pre-order these days, as no doubt there will be issues along the way. Sure I miss out on launch day fun times but so often it's a clusterfuck anyway.

One thing I found quite amazing was the Skyrim remaster still has a bunch of bugs/issues in it despite having years since the OG launch.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Last Guardian will be awesome at launch, free of any bugs or slowdown etc, cos it's been perfected after so many years in development. Right?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ssshhhh

I BELIEVE
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!