ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Because there won't be room in the original thread I'm gonna split this out a little bit. I imagine there's no real point in the C64, Speccy stuff, simply because anything any good was done better at some point later down the line. That includes the MSX as well

So a top twenty/thirty per machine for the following systems

SEGA 
    Master System
    Game Gear

Nintendo
    NES
    GameBoy

Home Computer type thingie
    C64/Speccy/CPC464/Amiga/AtariST

Skate or Die
    Dizzy (all versions)
    Manic Miner
    Jet Set Willy
    Escape from the Planet or the Robot Monsters
    Escape from Fractalus
    IK+
    Hard Drivin
    Zak McCracken and Alien something
    Kick Off 2
    Kevin Toms Football Manager
    Skool Daze
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sega 

Master System

Action Fighter
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Asterix
    Castle of Illusion
    Dragons Fury/Devil Crash
    Fantasy Zone II
    Land of Illusion
    The Lucky Dime Caper
    Madden 92
    Micro Machines 2
    Micro Machines 96
    The Ninja
    Ninja Gaiden
    OutRun
    Phantasy Star
    Psycho Fox
    R-Type
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Sensible Soccer
    Shinobi
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Space Harrier
    Toejam and Earl
    Ghouls and Ghosts
    Wonderboy in Monster Land
    Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap
    Xenon 2

Game Gear
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Nintendo

NES

GameBoy

Alfred Chicken
    Alleyway
    Batman: Return of the Joker
    Boxxle
    Castelian
    Castlevania
    Double Dragon
    Ducktales
    Kirby's Dream Land
    Mario Golf
    Mario Picross
    Mario Tennis
    Metroid II
    Motocross Maniacs
    Nintendo Football
    Pinball Dreams
    Pokemon Blue
    Pokemon Red
    Qix
    Super Mario Land 
    Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
    Tetris
    Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Didn't @Eric already have a thread like this where we all voted?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • gameboy
    boxxle
    super mario land 
    castlevania
    pinball dreams
    super mario land 2: 6 golden coins
    pokemon red
    pokemon blue
    nintendo football
    Double Dragon
    Alleyway
    Castelian
    Ducktails
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dunno, I glanced down the index thread, I'll keep the ops updated then try and put together a little something as a tribute to posterity later down the line
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    gameboy
    boxxle
    super mario land 
    castle variants
    pinball dreams
    super mario land 2: 6 golden coins
    pokemon red
    pokemon blue
    nintendo football
    Double Dragon
    Alleyway
    Castelian
    Ducktails

Tetris?

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Mario Golf and Mario Tennis both better than nintendo football, but still there's a fucktonne of decent games for that wee beastie
  • Olimite wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    gameboy boxxle super mario land  castle variants pinball dreams super mario land 2: 6 golden coins pokemon red pokemon blue nintendo football Double Dragon Alleyway Castelian Ducktails
    Tetris?

Jesus - it's been a long weekend. Should've been first not least as it's probably my fav game ever.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • WTF? You can't list Pokémon Red and Blue separately, they're the same goddamn game.

Anyway, here's some Game Boy games, in no particular order:

Super Mario Land
    Metroid II
    Qix
    Alfred Chicken
    Batman: Return of the Joker
    Tetris
    Zelda: Link's Awakening
    Kirby's Dream Land
    Mario's Picross
    Motocross Maniacs

Never played it, but Metal Gear looked pretty decent. And had a rumble pack, IIRC.

Do we include ports? If so:
    Super Mario Bros.
    Contra III
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Why include them as they will be in the NES list?
  • Dunno. Same reason we're doing lists in the first place? I thought it was interesting that they managed such decent versions on the system.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Fair enough, these lists aren't mine. I'm just hoping to put together a decent romset that's all killer no filler
  • Master System:

Castle of Illusion
    Wonderboy in Monster Land
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World
    Asterix
    Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap
    The Ninja
    Fantasy Zone II
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Psycho Fox
    Action Fighter
    Phantasy Star
    The Lucky Dime Caper
    Ninja Gaiden
    Land of Illusion
    R-Type
  • I want Outrun on that MS list. Space Harrier too damn it. Maybe California Games.
  • monkey wrote:
    I want Outrun on that MS list. Space Harrier too damn it. Maybe California Games.

Better off putting those on the Saturn or 32X list if the whole point is definitive versions though.

Shinobi for sure though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Is that the point? I thought it was just the 30 best games. This might get a bit messy whichever route is taken.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm not saying only one game from any franchise, but yeah if it's actually the same game then let's just grab the best one. Which might well not be the earliest one
  • Outrun was definitely bettered elsewhere then. Just might get tricky if you're trying to get the definitive version of a game into a crowded platform when there's, all due respect Master system, slightly more spaces available elsewhere. Whatever, I'm easy. Outrun has to be somewhere though obviously.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm gonna fill these lists with whatever you guys decide should be on them, Where there are duplicates then we just pick the definitive version. Sometimes more than one version will appear especially if it's an oft iterated title. Street Fighter for example, Alpha is almost a completely different game
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Outrun will likely be in more than once. As I imagine C2C will make the PSP list when we get that far down the rabbit hole
  • R-Type is best on PSone so strike that from moots list.

Ninja Gaiden is unique though, Aladdin style. So that could be accepted for both NES and MS.

This will be hard but is an interesting project.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Definitely.

Edit:- originally at cocko but applies to retro too.
  • The game gear Ninja Gaiden was its own version too I think. Also good iirc.
  • The Master System wasn't the best console by any means but it was my first and playing it with my Dad and brother are some of the earliest and fondest memories I've got. Part of that was its shoddy arcade ports - Harrier, after burner, outrun. Time won't be kind to it in this list as all those have better versions around.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    True that, but stuff like Alex Kidd will be on the list, there was a toned down Sonic as well wasn't there?
  • MD Alex Kidd was a bit shit, Miracle and Shinobi World are the only two worth playing really.  Main 8-bit Sonics were new games.  MS Ghouls 'n Ghosts is a worthwhile curio, iirc it had armour/speed boot upgrades.
  • monkey wrote:
    The Master System wasn't the best console by any means but it was my first and playing it with my Dad and brother are some of the earliest and fondest memories I've got. Part of that was its shoddy arcade ports - Harrier, after burner, outrun. Time won't be kind to it in this list as all those have better versions around.

Yeah I know what you mean. Even though most of us are gonna have the memories from these inferior ports they won't get the votes. Unfair in some ways but it's for the best overall and will help system exclusives rise to the top.

Then again how many people are gonna name R-Type as one of the best PlayStation games? It could prove quite hard to keep track of and police.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • This is going to get complicated. Take Super Mario Bros. for instance. Best graphics were on the SNES, but the original looks so iconic now that might be better. Then, of course, the Wii U version has save states, so maybe that one. Really, the only versions you can discount are the GBC and Wii versions. Or something. That made more sense in context before I wrote it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Can spectrum and commodore 64 games go in here?  Escape from the plant of the robot monsters needs to go somewhere.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!