Where are we now?
‹ Previous123
  • With some of the stuff that has happened this year I have been thinking about how different life might have been without this stupid forum 10 years ago. Jim coming back and having missed out on lots of developments like Yoss becoming EIC at The Graun, and being easily goofed into thinking that I have never watched a cinema got me thinking, how much shit has changed, and how much it has stayed the same. So many of you now have babies (a terrifying idea 10 years ago) but also a great many of you that are still around have done fucking tons and I am feeling both nostalgic and incredibly reluctant to do all of my impending work, So i'll start.

Joined as a spry young 19 year old, just about to quit art college and get my first BIG JOB at a fucking Tech Support Call centre, spending the interim playing Okami and FFXII with my now long gone Ex who would go on to bring out the very worst of me like some kind of belligerent harpy exorcist, thus setting me up for a better life 10 years down the line... 

Now I am in a great place, apparently, called Glasgow! Here,I have very little money, no career prospects, and no idea what to do with my life, but I am at the very least I am on the cusp of my final semester at a good uni, which I have done ok at, if not spectacularly, which is mildly irritating. 

But I have also covered film festivals, become a very low ranking acolyte in "the press" whilst getting better at writing. I have met great people, become a section editor at a student paper, have had bonafide paid for writing published very sporadically, become more confident and generally happier, made videos on the internet that do terribly but the few people that watch them seem to like them, and feel confident that taking a Masters will be a good idea for my life - fuck the debt yo.

All in all, I have taken some great steps forward and a great many steps backwards, and I am 10 years closer to dying alone and homeless, but at least I got paid £150 to write some words on the internet, all is not wasted.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I learned to make bread.
  • I have some grey hair (first one found on the chest, this morning) and am usually in some kind of minor pain. Most other shit is pretty much the same.
  • On a train, going through shitty Croydon going back to work from a meeting in shitty Redhill. 

I also bred.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Also:

Got a job. On my third or fourth since maroonrum. 
    Got married. 
    Dad died. 
    Had a kid, now 6 years old.
    Had another kid, now 3 years old. 
    May have another kid, watch this space.
  • Tempy wrote:
    get my first BIG JOB at a fucking Tech Support Call centre,

Ah shit, I have become Tempy.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Had a kid, now 6 years old. Had another kid, now 3 years old.  May have another kid, watch this space.

If we weren't fucked in so many other ways, I'd chastise you for thinking about having more than two kids.
  • Good idea for a thread. Will contribute later when I have time.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I was thinking of GMAN when I wrote it.
  • I bred.
    Grew a beard thats turned mostly grey.
    Had 6 different jobs that i hated, and a voluntary one i still enjoy. (as well as the vmc beta things)
    Played lots of games and mostly talked shit about them.
  • I'm old.
    I moved south (!)
    I moved again, a little bit further south.
    I went freelance.
    I don't really play many games (that aren't car-based) anymore.
    I had to stop weight-lifting.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I was thinking of GMAN when I wrote it.

I was thinking of gman when I read the title on the front page
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've been a student for the majority of my time here (nine years)- I'm 37
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've gone from working in S.E.N childcare, to working as a software developer for some huge firms.

When I first posted on the Maroon Rum (04), I was in a pretty bad place. Drugs, near enough homeless, penny-less. But no small amount of good luck has put me in a better place than I would have imagined the day before I became a beneficiary of it (if that reads correctly...).

With that said, I'm still somewhat socially awkward, and often wish I was better equipped to help others. I wouldn't say I'm perfectly stable right now either, especially with the way the first half of this year went for me (cancer scare). But I've come through it, and have learnt a lot about myself.

Right now I'm just praying for my mam (hospital... long story), keeping my head down in a new role, and moving to a new place pretty soon (eastsyde massiv, hit me up).

I'm also waiting for Tempy to give my book back. : P
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I've been posting for around 3 years, but first became aware of the forum when the Edge one ate itself and I was posting there at the time.

I had my second son shortly before posting here for the first time. No more kids for me. Love them both though.

Work wise, I'm still in Local Government and becoming more disillusioned by it every day. Looking for the next challenge, but it needs to be the right thing - not just the next thing to come along.

I'm now volunteerIng as a school governor to keep myself challenged and developing new skills.
  • 2006 I was just out of uni and into a role as lab tech in school with aim for teacher training the following year. Did all that jazz up to getting a full time teacher gig until I fucked up too many times and had the courage to admit I had to quit (put it this way it was a plan that had wormed around for a good 3 or four years at that point). I bummed around afterwards at home and did some tutoring enough to pay for an ipod classic. I think that roughly when I joined maroon.

All that time I was looking for a job and two showed up which had a physics degree as one of the requirements (seriously a phys degree is a great degree for those who are a bit of a low attention span but also rubbish for finding a job - all that jazz they tell you at careers fair just didn't apply to a somewhat coaster like me. There were times I wished I did opticians or dentist degree).

One of the jobs was cool, it was analysing products for the police in posh place near Luton . The other was a role in Newport. The former had a better start wage (28v25k) but only had dead man shoes promotion so the prospects were less attractive.

Anyway I decided to pick the latter one and it was a great choice (which is to say it is a choice that has happened to have had good results). I've been here eight years - moving to Cardiff in the mean time. No means least I met my partner for the last five years and we bought a house together this year. The job also had this sort of feast and famine recruitment policy which meant that on day 1 there were 25 newbs starting all a bit looking for new friends and I've made some really nice friends as a result.

It's not been all plain sailing. I've got super fat which is fucking annoying because while I was relatively fit I got laid up with the most crippling sciatica for about twelve months. Anyway I bought an excersise bike last week so hopefully some of the flab will melt away. Or at least I can get back to footy on a non incompetent better than Rooney level.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh yeah, I have my own business now. Forgot about that.
  • When did I start posting?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right.

2005 I was still at university and not even into my final dissertation year. Had an inkling I wanted to get into teaching, but not fully committed. I was playing on my Xbox 360, hooked up to a 14 inch crt and existing off 48 hour codes for live, mostly from Unlikely. I had a good girlfriend, one of the few who has stayed a pal with me since, and we are good friends now. I was utterly skint - I had never taken student loans but was at one point near £1600 in overdraft and I was not exercising at all.
    Then I finished uni, lost that girlfriend and made a bunch of bad choices with women for a bit. I lived on great western road, right next to Viper / Clatty Pats with a pal of mine and started to get into WoW kind of hard. I ditched my Wii and moved into PC gaming again. I was teaching and I hated my probation school so hard I thought I would quit.

2008 was a watershed. Got a permanent position in Edinburgh, so a change of city. Miserable and lonely for a while I came up with the idea of inviting forum people over for a night. This was regstock. Kept me going while I struggled to make new friends in Edinburgh. Again, bunch of no god with women for a while, a few flings etc, but in 2009 I met my wife during a night out in Glasgow.

From there things got more so better. Still regstock, quit WoW, exercised, got my first hdtv (yes, that late) and discovered I'd been on BR rate on my tax for 2 years because me Uni job at a pub never signed me off. Ended up paying off my debt and taking me and mrs reg on holiday. For 2009 birthday I asked my parents for an N64 and started collecting games again.

2011 was the last official regstock. Mrs reg moved in afterwards and we got a nice posh flat (albeit awful land lords.)
    Then we got engaged.
    About that time I started thinking about career progression; I didn't want to get promoted to a leader of English, I wanted to be a pupil support leader - beginning a 4 year journey to my current post.

Marriage in 2014 and a wedding with some forumites, including a videogames theme to the events, and Stephen malkmus as the first dance.
    Went to Venezuela with pupils in 2014. Hell of an experience.

2015 I was doing acting experience in my current job and new there was a permanent promoted post coming up. Took a break from forum to focus on job.
    Went to Japan, first of 2 trips. Fell in love with a country.
    This year, I finally got my dream promotion in February, and we went to Japan again. Currently sitting enjoying life with my amazing wife.

The future? Very likely a reg jr soon. One more trip to Japan next summer, and then... well, one step at a time.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oddly, nothing much has changed in my life. Still live at home, although I have done some work. Loved a couple of women in long term things, split up with them.

Not much progress, and it makes me kinda happy there's been no real upheaval. Never going to get married, or have kids. I've known that since I was a teen. Still to meet all of you feckers, that's about the only priority down the line.
  • @dynamite: shit, son. We need to meet up and chat. Haven't seen you in ages.
  • Since 2008 when I was unemployed and came to the forum to recruit for my esports franchise?

Got a job. 

Moved to South Korea for a different job.

Nearly became homeless in South Korea.

Got a new job in SoKo.

Got 2 cats.

Moved back to England.

Became a teacher.

Sold some fiction.

Bought a house.

Got engaged.

Got a big promotion.

Became the world's best Reinhardt player.

Had a tiger cub.
  • I have no particular ambitions so all has gone to plan.
  • I joined in 2009.
    I was employed part time in retail and looking to get my first 3D job.

March 2010 
    Got 3D Job

February 2011
    Moved in with mates

December 2011
    Moved into house with my Brother
    Got two cats

January 2013 
    Made redundant from job
    Got a new job
    Left cats with Brother
    Moved to London sofa surfing

April 2013
    Moved in with my mate in our flat in London

July 2014
    Quit job to go freelance

February 2016
    Had offer accepted on flat.

April 2016 
    Moved out of London and into my parent's place

July 2016
    Moved into my flat.

November 2016
    Got a puppy named Clayton.
  • beano wrote:
    I've been a student for the majority of my time here (nine years)- I'm 37
    Me too. I'm 41 now.

When I joined Edge forum in 2005 I was in this little house in North Cyprus, working full time as a TEFL teacher at a uni.

I returned to England in 2006 after getting accepted at UCL to do a part-time MA. I didn't realise at the time that I wouldn't have another permanent job for over 10 years (and counting).

Now I'm back in the same little house in North Cyprus, just finished a part-time PhD at UCL, and looking for the next step into academia. Done a lot of temporary, part-time and private TEFL teaching along the way to stay afloat (barely).

Honestly not sure I would've embarked on this journey if I'd known how long it would take, but fuck it I'm here now and just hope I can make something of it.

The marriage has been a great constant through it all though. And family support in general.

We thought about kids for a while, but neither of us really wanted one. It's quite a relief.
  • Still need 3 more for my esports team, btw.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm bearing up.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!