Man (I feel like a, erm, man)
  • Burn the house down. Its the only way.
  • The worst thing is, the sink still drains slowly, so there's more to come.
  • Yo AJ are you on the ground floor or basement level or something? That kind of looks like soil.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Top floor. It almost is soil; it's basically the previous fuck-knows-how-many tenants' food waste.
  • Yummy.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Had another go at the sink tonight. Totally unblocked now, I can run both taps on the kitchen and bathroom sinks plus the shower and still nothing overflows. Feeling like a don since the landlord told me that last time it got blocked like that they had a plumber sticking a camera down there and everything.
  • AJs basement is slowly filling with water.
  • Sucks to be the people living there then.
  • I'm currently painting. Blue paint to cover pink.

I hate painting.
  • That was my original suggestion. I'm coming in half way where it's already half pink half blue.
  • And it's done. Now a trip to the tip for extra man points.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hello all, I require man points and man brains can help me here. Need to build a cheap bed, was thinking box section steel as it's cheap sturdy and would allow plenty of room underneath from storage. Where to buy from, will they drill and cut it to order, do I need to drill if or would those plastic connectablok things be secure enough
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Real men order a bed online.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And pay someone else to bring it up the stairs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One of our smoke alarms started chirping earlier this morning.

Well I say morning. 2 a fucking m

Wifey wakes me up in a fizz because she doesn't know what it is.

Still dizzy I explain it and am then asked what I'm going to do about it.

Fucks sake.

Our alarms our mains powered but each has a backup battery. You know the one - the wee 9v square one nobody EVER has spare at home

Once I wake up I remember by some miracle I have one in the packaging - was bought with an electronic kit/project I bought for my supposed teach-myself-to-solder activity (which currently adds up to zero).

So retrieved that - the date is still OK (yes it was that long ago when I bought it) , went and got the step ladders and could I get the alarm to twist off? Could I fuck.

But then another miracle occurred - the wee bastard stopped chirping.

So  at a more civilised hour I returned to the alarm , figured out how to twist it out and noticed a sticker inside the alarm stating it was to be replaced - the alarm not the battery - in 2012.

We have two of these in the old part of the house. The extension has two more that are newer. So tested them all and they all worked apart from the one I checked. Working or not - the 2 old ones needed changed.

So off to my favourite place in the world on a Sunday. B and fucking Q.

I mentioned the mains power thing? Means they have a junction box, a facing plate,  and an odd looking 3 pin power adapter that also links all the alarms together so they all go off when one detects something untoward.
    Could I find one in B and Q that matched exactly ? Could I fuck.

So spent the last hour and half disconnecting the power adapter (using a little joiner block so easy enough). The new alarms came with a new face plate whose screw holes didn't exactly match the holes in the junction box. Of course they didn't. A straight forward enough job but was just a fiddly pain in the arse balancing on a step ladder at the top of the stairs on landing.

They appear to be working - and they even appear to be still linked up when I tested them.

Fingers crossed - thought I heard a chirp just there as I typed this.....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You'll only need to replace the heads, the base will be fine. Can you not order the same model online?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They are up  now. Got the holes to line up with a bit of fiddling.

The alarms came with a new connector - 3 wires - live, neutral and link.

I threw the circuit breaker for the smokes circuit and swapped in the new wires one at a time so I remembered what was what.

The new base plate is a bit smaller than the enclosure that contains the connector block but it looks OK. The holes just about lined up OK. The new alarm wouldn't lock onto the old base plate so had to swap it out - had to take if off to get at the connector block anyhow.

Probably should have ordered them online for an exact match and waited I suppose.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    After my shower tray seemed to develop a leak I decided to strip all the sealant and redo it all. It took much longer than expected (the striping is a real pain) but I've got it done. I have to wait 24 hours for it to dry before I know if it works, but it looks decent.
  • My last attempt at shower DIY ended in a big stain on the ceiling where the water leaked through.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    resealing a shower is kind of a thing that has to be done every so often. Many cleaning products cause it to detach or decay.

Our needs doing. Evidence being a damp patch in the ceiling below. Pain removing the sealant - got a special removal tool which helps a bit.
  • Stanley knife blade and a flat head screwdriver does me.
  • While we are on the subject does anyone have advice on black mold getting into sealant?
    I swear I had one shower after it was fitted and instantly black mold in one or two corners.

I have used the bleach and kitchen roll technique and some super strength Dettol product. Both worked for the most but those corners will not budge.
  • Better sealant. Worth spending the extra pennies on it.
  • Cheers.
    Just pricier or special stuff?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Mould resistant stuff.

Making sure it's put in properly helps too, it should be nice and smooth with a slight convave finish, so nowhere for water to collect.
  • Once it’s happened, there’s a Cillit Bang product for black mould that works far better than anything else I’ve found. Comes in a purple spray bottle.
  • That’s the one I use, it’s brilliant. Spray it on, leave for a few minutes then wipe with a sponge and it just works wonders
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!