Man (I feel like a, erm, man)
  • My dad made my mum learn how to drive when she was heavily pregnant with my oldest brother because harvest was coming up and he wouldn't be able to take her to hospital. True story.

I think we might have the same dad...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    And on the subject of us being soft these days. You know that they'd probably call a bleeding ambulance if it were now
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm so soft you could pass your hand right through me
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My dad was stationed in Hong Kong back in the early 70s. Local village got crushed under a mudslide, he and his fellow squaddies had to dig up the bodies and bury them/reunite them with survivors. Not a light story, but he admits its one that shaped him. He was about 20 at the time.
  • Fucking hell, that is brutal. That shit won't leave you, just got to hope you can handle it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah he does struggle to talk about it. I've seen the photos, absolutely horrific. There's other tales but I don't want to bring this thread down, need more Moot's dad of steel.
  • My Stepdad was a hardcase.

Worked in the merchant navy as a ships mechanic, then became a heavy plant fitter for demolition firms. He was always incurring massive injuries from the big machinery and shrugging them off with a couple of codeine tablets. I remember one day he managed to get his shoulder and arm trapped behind an industrial crusher because someone turned it on while he was working on it.

When he and my Mum decided to convert their bungalow into a two-storey house, he hired a builders firm then got himself a job as one of their labourers. Literally built his own house.

He died this year. Massive heart attack while driving.

Fuck 2016.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My dad was a master of improvisation.

He once built a rat trap that consisted of a very large stone (almost a boulder) in a harness suspended over a board via a pulley system that dropped when something walked onto the board. It would have killed a dog. Mother had to have a word.

He also built a shed , the roof of which was a large up and over style garage door.

Built me a go-kart. When he had to make two holes to attach the front axel and didn't have a drill he burnt a hole through the two pieces of wood with a red hot poker.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Interesting how I started a thread about things we've done that made us feel manly and it's become a conversation about dads. Do we define what's manly by our dads?
  • The dad stories are great though.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Interesting how I started a thread about things we've done that made us feel manly and it's become a conversation about dads. Do we define what's manly by our dads?

Probably. Most psychiatrists would certainly say we do.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I am slowly becoming my dad. Our politics are completely different but we're pretty much identical in most other ways.
  • Yup I am very similar to my Dad in terms of temperament and only becoming more so.
  • I've learned a lot from my dad, but he's far more capable than I am. He rarely has to call a tradesman. He can do wiring, plumbing, joinery, carpentry, largely self-taught and learned from my granda.

My brother isn't nearly as handy, but then he and my sister-in-law earn enough that it's not an issue for them to get a man in. They've used the same Polish guy for most of the work on their house, and his work is top notch.

My dad has had some good DIY injuries. His left index finger is a weird shape, largely scar tissue, from various Stanley incidents. He once jumped of a chair and landed on a triangular scraper that went through his trainer and into his foot. He had difficulty pulling it out, because the rubber sole was gripping the blade. He did pull it out, though, steristripped his foot himself and got back to work.
  • I'm nothing like my old man. I look just like my maternal grandfather though, and have his temperament. Genetics be weird.

As for DIY, only stuff I won't touch is plastering (I hate it) electrics (illegal now) and plumbing (also hate it). Offer me some woodworking and/or metalwork and I'm there though...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • As far as becoming my dad goes, it's scary. There isn't a day goes by that I don't scare myself with how much I sound like him. The little noises I make when doing DIY are the scariest. I'm also developing his habit of holding my breath while carrying out various tasks.
  • I keep noticing myself speaking/acting like my dad. I do my best to stop it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Luckily I swear way more than my dad so if I start sounding like him I just chuck a fuckpisscunt in there.
  • Someone pointed out how strange it was when I pointed to my phone screen with my middle finger the other day. I was reading with my 6yo earlier and he was pointing to the words with the same finger. Took me by surprise. I always figured he was someone else's, but now I know he's mine.
  • My Dad is fucking rubbish at any kind of diy. I'm pretty good, take after my Grandad in that. Love building things.
  • If we're defining manliness by general DIY ability then someone needs to resurrect the diy thread and see who exactly the manliest man of this forum is.  I'd do it myself but I'm busy installing a dressing room for my wife, that I've designed myself and had all the timber laser fucking cut to my exact dimensions.  It's slipping in like a dream because I made sure the walls (again built by me) we're plumb straight to 2mm tolerance.

Cars though. Fuck that. It's vodoo to me and I could only just about fill up the windscreen washer thing.
  • We should do a Man (I feel like...less of a man) thread.
  • Will it be anonymous? Don't want my man credentials to go down.
  • If we're defining manliness by general DIY ability then someone needs to resurrect the diy thread and see who exactly the manliest man of this forum is.  I'd do it myself but I'm busy installing a dressing room for my wife, that I've designed myself and had all the timber laser fucking cut to my exact dimensions.  It's slipping in like a dream because I made sure the walls (again built by me) we're plumb straight to 2mm tolerance.

Cars though. Fuck that. It's vodoo to me and I could only just about fill up the windscreen washer thing.

I like what you've said about tolerance, fancy replastering my house.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The getting soft thing, saw this a few minutes ago, maybe it should be in politics thread I dunno

VAtu2wo.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • You had the timber laser cut? What kind of soft arse are you? Get a jigsaw and some sandpaper.
  • Nothing more manly then a L.A.Z.E.R
  • I have used the same saw in every job I've done in this house. It's mandatory that it's used.
  • Any kind of 'getting soft' shit rests on calcified role definitions barely above beasthood. That shit's over, unless we actually do in fact descend into desert warriorland. Which I will be dead from alcohol long before experiencing.
  • 2mm tolerance.
    That's more than a ball hair and, as such, is positively wonky compared to my flat. ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!