NieR Automata - New game from PlatinumGames
  • The Hong Kong and Jap version are both dual language. Hong Kong is much cheaper, though. The game menu is in Japanese at the beginning but, once you change it to English you'll be good to go.

So, if you wanted it now then there's nothing stopping you.
  • Tempting. Shall look into it. I think Sony is a bit harder to buy international versions than xbox
  • Hmm, I have a uk and HK account on my machine and have had no hassle. I just buy prepaid cards for each region, and add money that way. I buy most games, and plus, on my HK account and play them on my main one (uk).
  • Different emails for both I take it? And pre paid cards off websites?
  • Yeah, 2 different email address and I buy the cards on the Chinese equivalent to eBay.
  • Downloading now! Cheaper than Australia of course.

Nothing like some high res early access bunghole
  • Downloading now! Cheaper than Australia of course.

Nothing like some high res early access bunghole

Nice!

Did you have any trouble setting it up?

And remember not to play until it's fully downloaded and installed - I know it'll be tempting to start as soon as the preload starts, but you need to hold off.
  • Oh, and for Shabby - Instructions on changing the game to English.

When you start the game you'll get a couple of prompts in English - Press any button, then New Game. Click ok for both, obviously.

Now it will switch to Japanese and ask you to pick a game slot. Pick a slot, then choose the left option and pick ok.

It'll ask you to name the slot (it's the name of the slot, not the character). Write a name and proceed. Select left option when prompted.

Select difficulty. It's in English.

Now you'll have 3 options. Choose the middle option, then the top option, then the bottom of two options - when you do this all the languages will pop up. Choose English.

Now the whole game will be in English. You can choose Japanese or English voices with the option above that one.

Enjoy.
  • Not much trouble. Have to find a cheap fake on the Hong Kong store to cover the rest of the card but otherwise all good.

Thanks for the instructions. My internet is shit so I probably won't get to play it till this time tomorrow unfortunately. I have overnight shift so was hoping to play it in a daze during the day tomorrow. We'll see.
  • It'll probably be tomorrow, aye - HK psn is often quite speedy for me but it's slow as all fuck today. So i can't dive back in yet, either.
  • Alrighty.

This game has issues, and I'll talk about those a bit at a later time.

But I can confirm this game is not shit. Having a lot of fun at the mo. It's not Bayo/Vanquish tier, in all honesty, but it's nothing to be ashamed of either. Really interesting little game this, and a blast to play.
  • Music and bosses are god-tier, though.
  • Should be able to play this a little before work tonight. Am looking forward to it, flaws and all.
  • Should be able to play this a little before work tonight. Am looking forward to it, flaws and all.

The flaws aren't mega - just small things. It's really, really fun. :D
  • The original Nier was jank as fuck in some respects but given what they tried and did was totally forgivable.
  • I just got through the demo/start section. Couldn't play much after that bit but I already like what it's doing with how the game is a game.

I read that (multiple playthrough item/unlock spoiler)
    Spoiler:

I like it when devs play around with stuff like that.
  • Alrighty - I’m gonna have a quick summary of some gameplay stuff to give people an idea of how exactly it plays. I’ll spoiler it all, just as a precaution, but it’ll be gameplay stuff only. Anything more spoilery than that will be wrapped up within a second spoiler.
    Spoiler:

It’s very much a weird-ass RPG that plays like a Platinum game. That really works for me, to be honest. I think, if it continues like this, I might actually place it above Vanquish but below Bayonetta. The madness of these last few months continues.

I hope that helped some of you. If you have any questions, just spoiler them and I’ll reply.
  • Oh, and another thing.

About dying...
    Spoiler:
  • All that stuff about 
    Spoiler:

Not really a spoiler either BTW, and I don't think CiT's stuff is unless you really want to know nothing about the mechanics.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    While I'm happy to hear that this is shaping up to be a great Platinum game, what I really want to know if it's a great Yoko Taro game and sequel to Nier. I loved the original because of its massive heart; the characters, world, narrative, music and transformative gameplay, going from janky action slasher to bullet hell shooter to platform jumper to visual novel in a heartbeat, always threatening to fall apart in a complete clusterfuck but never really doing it.

It was truly a special thing.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Silke wrote:
    While I'm happy to hear that this is shaping up to be a great Platinum game, what I really want to know if it's a great Yoko Taro game and sequel to Nier. I loved the original because of its massive heart; the characters, world, narrative, music and transformative gameplay, going from janky action slasher to bullet hell shooter to platform jumper to visual novel in a heartbeat, always threatening to fall apart in a complete clusterfuck but never really doing it.

It was truly a special thing.

I never played the first so I can't comment but I did check out the nier Reddit when I ran into a bug - consensus seems to be that it's a proper Nier sequel.

From what you describe I think I can say that's all there.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Then I'm really aboard the hype train. Cheers mate.
  • Silke wrote:
    Then I'm really aboard the hype train. Cheers mate.

No worries - I didn't recognise the name so I checked your posts and see you've been away a while. Welcome home. :)
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Thank you, it's good to be back.
  • I need Shabby to play this more, or other people to get on it, because there so much lead character butt cool stuff I wanna talk about.
  • Ha, I'll be playing more the next few days.
  • I just
    Spoiler:
    for the first time. I'm wondering if there'll be a point to it apart from the upskirt
  • So...I didn't have any work these past couple of days.

Just completed this. Quicker than expected - not hard to mainline it for those who don't have a lot of time. Side quests get far better after the first couple, so they're well worth a go.

Great game, don't regret Day 1 price in the slightest. Gonna go straight back in.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!