NieR Automata - New game from PlatinumGames
  • Clocked it already, wtf! How many hours bud?

This game is on my list(along with a few others) & was next on my list after Zelda(just edging out Horizon Zero Dawn) as Tokyo Mirage sessions reminded how much I enjoy a good JRPG.

Been following your words since you kicked off(nice write ups btw), but must admit to being a little shocked you have put it to bed already.
  • cindemon wrote:
    Clocked it already, wtf! How many hours bud?

This game is on my list(along with a few others) & was next on my list after Zelda(just edging out Horizon Zero Dawn) as Tokyo Mirage sessions reminded how much I enjoy a good JRPG.

Been following your words since you kicked off(nice write ups btw), but must admit to being a little shocked you have put it to bed already.

Regarding length:
    Spoiler:

So, it's not a long game, but it is deep. It's not a trad JRPG, though, so don't go in expecting that.
  • NG+ sounds like it is carrying on the legacy of Neir then
  • Quite possibly - the character of this game is strong. There's so little fat and so much personality.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Everything, including the length, the multiple endings and the structural reasons to replay, is starting to sound exactly like Nier. That's music to my ears. 

Then add the polish of a Platinum game and... let's just say I'm somewhat amped up at the moment.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • So...I didn't have any work these past couple of days. Just completed this. Quicker than expected - not hard to mainline it for those who don't have a lot of time. Side quests get far better after the first couple, so they're well worth a go. Great game, don't regret Day 1 price in the slightest. Gonna go straight back in.

YOU'VE FINISHED IT ALREADY!?

Didn't you start it yesterday?

I thought it was some super huge RPG thing?

Right - gonna read the last few pages...
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Silke wrote:
    Everything, including the length, the multiple endings and the structural reasons to replay, is starting to sound exactly like Nier. That's music to my ears. 

Then add the polish of a Platinum game and... let's just say I'm somewhat amped up at the moment.

:D
  • Cheers Cit.

The game length you mentioned, whilst not what I was expecting, may actually work for me.
  • Nice one cinty :)

I'm new to Nier too but I read that there were things that didn't occur until playthrough 3 or 4 of the last one so I imagine it will be the same.

It just plays so well that I imagine I'll be more than happy to start again.
  • It just plays so well that I imagine I'll be more than happy to start again.

Yeah, it really does play well. It's lovely to almost glide across an area and dodge your way through huge amounts of projectiles. There's so much stuff I'm finding now, though, so I've no doubt it'll be a 50-70 hour game once you take a look at everything and do all the playthroughs. Such an unusual structure and mix of gameplay systems but it really works. Bliss.
  • It just plays so well that I imagine I'll be more than happy to start again.
    Yeah, it really does play well. It's lovely to almost glide across an area and dodge your way through huge amounts of projectiles. There's so much stuff I'm finding now, though, so I've no doubt it'll be a 50-70 hour game once you take a look at everything and do all the playthroughs. Such an unusual structure and mix of gameplay systems but it really works. Bliss.

That's what I wanted to hear.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Oh ffs not another one
  • This was always gonna be a purchase for me so I'm cool. It's Horizon getting great reviews that has me pissed off. I should just leave my job and just play games in a dark basement.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It ain't as easy as it sounds.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Oh ffs not another one
    TheDJR wrote:
    This is ridiculous

Aye, what a time to be alive and all that!

Thing is, if you're a big fan or Nier or Platinum, you might wanna get on it. Otherwise, it can wait. It's a lovely little game, but I wouldn't say you have to go and get it right now. I got it early because I had the opportunity to see what it was like before it all became common knowledge and I don't regret it one bit, but it'll be just as good in a few months.
  • The thing is, most games seem to drop in price that quickly these days that I don't mind waiting, I've still gotta get FF which will be my next when it's a chalice.

I think I'll get Mass Effect at launch unless there are awful reviews or something.
  • I'm trying really hard not be burned out on FF, it can be areal slog at times, with progress caged behind long traversals. Pretty ones, mind. I'm not quite done with it yet.

I do want this, if work goes well I'm in at full price.
  • Of all the releases in this few months, Nier and Persona were the ones I was most anticipating. But even they're going to have to wait until they're sub £30.

Then there's already Horizon, Nioh, Resi 7, Gravity Rush 2 and possibly Mass Effect queuing up behind them. I doubt I'll get round to all of them before even more good stuff comes out, so will just miss out on some.
  • Oh shit, I'll be getting Persona on day of release, of course.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Oh shit, I'll be getting Persona on day of release, of course.

Dude, I think Nier has at least 1 persona voice actor.

Edit:

Checked and it's not the same person.

Game does feature the voice actors for both Prince Noctis and Wesker, though.
  • They missed a trick by not getting that Jamiroquai banger in the game. Unless...
  • JonB wrote:
    Of all the releases in this few months, Nier and Persona were the ones I was most anticipating. But even they're going to have to wait until they're sub £30.

Then there's already Horizon, Nioh, Resi 7, Gravity Rush 2 and possibly Mass Effect queuing up behind them. I doubt I'll get round to all of them before even more good stuff comes out, so will just miss out on some.

Persona is Day 1, and the rest will get bought if there's any downtime between Nier and Persona. Even then it depends on PS+ games.

Mass Effect would have been a day 1 a while ago but even that'll have to wait, which is bizarre.
  • And, seriously, this soundtrack. The game is good - not the best game ever, but still good - but this soundtrack is absolute amazeballs. Struggling to think of a game with a better OST.
  • So Jamiroquai is on it, YAS
  • Yes, there are 13 different versions of virtual insanity.
  • If anyone wants to know how the Platinum half of the equation plays like, take a look here:

Link

It's a boss battle from early in the game. I won't embed because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I've also set it to 8 minutes in to the video - that's the start of the battle. Don't go back or you'll ruin a nice reveal.

It gives a glimpse of how the game mixes styles, but doesn't show a couple of other styles that are in the game. You also get a banging tune.

Obviously, if you want to know nothing then don't watch, but if you were interested in the combat then you can have a look. I picked a boss that has been featured in trailers before, so as not to spoil anything new.
  • It embeded and started from the beginning for me - beware those who wish to not be spooked,
  • Tempy wrote:
    It embeded and started from the beginning for me - beware those who wish to not be spooked,

Shit, really?
    There's nothing right at the beginning that I tried to hide - it's a bit on from there. Should be to 8 minutes and 9 seconds. If anyone else has the same issue I'll just remove the link.
  • Chrome at work, might be different on mobile. Boss looks fun if a little sponge-y

Can see myself grabbing this for my PC

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!