Great Expectations: Hype, Disappointment and Unexpected Discovery
  • The games industry is heavily reliant on blockbuster titles, massive, unrestrained marketing campaigns and wall-to-wall preview and review cycles. Big titles such as Metal Gear Solid 2, Halo 2 and especially 3, Call of Duty Modern Warfare series, Skyrim, Gears of War and countless others are all readily proclaimed as "the best thing ever" before release. 

This leads to untempered expectations in the novice, and great letdowns from time to time. 

In the spirit of Listmas, this got me thinking about the various outcomes of such a cycle and what games fell in what category for you. I suggest the following as a guide, with people listing one or two games per category.

Games that Delivered - the hype was real, and the end product met all expectations

Games that Broke Your Heart - games that failed to live up to your expectations and perhaps killed your interest in the series

Games that Came from Out of Nowhere - no previews, no hype, blind purchase and one of the best games you ever played.

Kicking it off

Games that Delivered 

1. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword - I had high expectations based on my preference for motion controls hinted at in Red Steel 2 and Wii Sports Resort, and the dream of a 3D sword fighting adventure in Zelda was likely to be good as any place to find it. I have played Zelda before, but never completed one until this game. I loved the structure and the finale (battle) was a phenomenally cathartic experience. I appreciate it didn't click for many, but for me it did. 

2. Soul Calibur - daydreaming about Dreamcast severely impacted my studies. If I went back to look through my notes I'd probably find prospective launch day lists running at 1:1 with lectures. Soul Calibur topped them all. Once it came out I spent months in that master mode, would spend hours beating the arcade mode on top difficulty with Mitsurugi, first to five rounds. A year later I met my now wife who would readily kick my arse with Maxi so I probably wasn't that good. But I had fun.

Games that Broke Your Heart 

1. Halo 3 - I watched that desert CGI clip hundreds of times, speculated wildly about time travel plots with other enabling fans, bought Crackdown, went to midnight launch and came home with a Cat Helmet. I finished it, but I hated it. Crow's Nest, Tsavo Highway, Cortana, the ending remix of CE. @AJ I think has been talking in the thread on The Last Guardian about seeing the strings behind the stage. This was my experience with Halo 3. It was cheap, frustrating, poorly deisgned check points and choke points and could never live up to the marketing hype. 

2. Metal Gear Solid V - Disappointment is proportional to amount spent. Fucking stupid replica arm is now permanently posed in a bird-flipping pose as a reminder not to buy CEs. This game is a true Janus. Absolutely phenomenal gameplay, control fluidity, visual clarity and technical proficiency with a butter smooth framerate. But the story, mission structure, unlocks gated behind timers, Ghosts, lack of resolution, redux missions with Ghosts, Ghosts with armour, Ghosts with camoflaugue, and seventeen missions of mine clearing or resource gathering deployments sour the experience. I turn it on wanting to experience the gameplay, but equally wanting to avoid those unavoidable elements. 

Games that Came from Out of Nowhere

1. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - bought this based on the back of the box. One of my top ten games ever. The MGS2-like option to go stealth or guns blazing during the bounty hunting missions opens up a load of possibilities: setting traps, stunning, rushing in for a risky take-down, or sending them into a meat-grinder or explosion is equally satisfying. The enemy dialogue is hillarious, the enemies on outposts in particular outdo the comments you hear from Grunts in Halo CE. Then when you get good at it, the game changes. Everything is dialled up to eleven, and the game thrives on anger, revenge and decimation of enemy swathes. Eleven years later I would still call this my favourite FPS. 

2. Rez - Bought a PS2 on launch, got a demo disc not long after (memory is a bit hazy here - maybe it was a year later). In my graphics whore mode of Tekken Tag Tournament's "real bades of garss" this game should have stood no chance but I remember trying the demo and catching the bus into town to pre-order it the same afternoon. Before pre-orders were really a thing in my town (no game-specific retail chains existed there, then). It's possibly the videogame equivalent of 2001, the soundtrack is still in my regular play list, it introduced me to Adam Freeland, it hasn't quite got me to buy a PSVR but it's probably one game I will never forget. Running Man is where it gets real.

3. Super Monkey Ball - bought it with my GameCube for reasons I forget. Barely touched single player as I am rubbish in intermediate mode. Monkey Target was worth $99 alone and has *never* been bettered.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • A game that came out of nowhere.

Soul Calibur 2.
    Soul Edge wasn't on my radar, Soul Calibur never registered either for whatever reason. I never really played other fighters other than a stint with UMK3.

SC2 was the big release though, with a unique character for each of the three consoles. I didn't follow the build up but the release was a big deal.
    While my friends all opted for Link on the GC I went with Spawn on the Xbox.

Within a few hours it was obvious me and this game were meant to be. After never really breaking the surface of a fighter before this game clicked and Spawn was a character I could dominate with.

Then there came a fateful night at a mate's house.
    6 of us hanging out, all had experience with the game. Winner stays on. Alas this was the GC version, my beloved Spawn wasn't an option, just the cheap Link. I opted for backup Maxi.

5 wins in with Maxi and I had beaten everyone and I agreed to go with random selection while opposition could choose.

Ended the night 34-0 before we switched to some turtle balancing on Warioware.

A few months later I left for uni bringing my Xbox with me.
    Again destroying any challenger I was SC2 king. That is until randomly my mate said he would give me a game, chose Cervantes and utterly destroyed me. Then admitted he spent most of his teens on Soul Edge. Still never beaten his Cervantes, regardless of game iteration.
  • Soul Calibur 2 was amazing for me coming off SC1 and with some exposure to Soul Edge. I didnt use Spawn but was he similar in style to Necrid or Astaroth? A few of the big characters have some similarities.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Good thread, I'll have a ponder.
  • Necrid used a range of moves from non-exclusive characters but was fairly chunky in his attack but similar speed, much quicker than Astaroph.
    Spawn was pretty unique, he flipped and spun his axe a lot like Yun Seong and his sword but was very good at juggling too. One of his unique moves was to levetate and from there could diving kick.

Levetate, dive kick into axe upper cut then over head axe slam (vertical) and if done right would bounce the opposition into a position where they could be slammed or upper cut again.

Spawn was definitely the best of the three exclusive characters.
  • Delivered:

Dark Souls: I don't preorder games. But, having heard people talk about Demon's Souls and at a point when I was getting bored of hand holding in games this sounded right up my street. So I preordered it. After a few hours play I was frustrated and disappointed. Stuck on the first proper boss for a couple of hours and thinking that this was too hard after all, as some reviews had said, and just wasn't for me. But I kept going and rethought my strategy, and it worked. And then it all clicked. I just had to forget all the sloppy gaming habits that modern games had instilled in me and actually pay attention. And because of this, it's one of the most rewarding video game experiences I've encountered.

MGS V: I just think this is amazing and haven't had so much fun with a game in years. The game systems and the way everything works together are so in advance of any other open world game I've played, and the sheer quantity of gadgets and weapons gives you so much scope for creativity. I really don't think it could have done any more in this regard. For a game that took so long to make and got so bloated (and there is too much of it in the end), it's fantastic to see it work so well.

Unexpected discovery:

Fire Emblem: Things I knew about Fire Emblem (GBA) before I bought it: it was by Nintendo, it was a strategy RPG. That really was it. First impressions were poor due to the very basic map graphics and the fact it seemed so simple with its central rock-paper-scissors mechanic. But dozens and then hundreds of hours later it had proved itself to have some real depth. It was always all about finishing maps as perfectly as possible for me. Nobody dies and we get all the new characters, treasure, and stealable items, save the villages and rescue any NPCs. If not, reset and start the mission again. Each level then becomes an intricate puzzle, which is very satisfying to solve.

Disappointment:

Super Street Fighter 2: Back in the SNES days, I used to play a lot of SF2 Turbo with friends. A whole bunch of us owned SNESes and the game and whenever we gathered at someone's house it would usually be on. So when they announced Super SF2 with new characters and moves there was much anticipation. I thought it would be a good idea to grab it on US import as soon as it came out, and paid a premium price for it along with the new adaptor that was needed to make it work on a UK machine. We all got together and played the shit out of it, learning the new characters and other changes. And... it just didn't seem to have the same weight or precision to it as before, new moves like a flaming dragon punch felt less meaty and powerful than the old dragon punch, and the new characters were just a bit dull. Not long after we were all playing Turbo again.

Zelda: Skyward Sword: I thought I was done with Zelda, but this got a 10 in Edge and some other great reviews and I was back in. I really don't get why people like it. On one hand, there are a few good dungeons and the use of the Wii controls is genuinely excellent. On the other, the story and characters are so uninspired (it has probably the most boring opening section of any game ever), a lot of the outside sections are just plain tedious (many a fetch quest, a tiresome boss that repeats 3 times, and other bits which might have been interesting if they had any challenge), flying around in the sky sections is slow and pointless, and half the decent puzzles are spoiled by a mouthy sidekick before you get a chance to look at them properly. So, yeah, I don't get it - for every moment of genius there's an hour of boredom.
  • @JonB - I have to laugh at how we have both got Skyward Sword and MGSV in opposite spots but for similar reasons in the negative column. I think that goes to show just how one quality of a game can grate for someone at one time, but in another example they tend not to bother so much about it. 

Good calls on Dark Souls and FE GBA though. It's a good example of difficulty breeding appreciation. Have you tried Valkyria Chronicles out of interest?
  • I haven't and probably should. I do appreciate a good turn-based strategy RPG.

I might not have thought of SS or MGS V immediately if not for your post, but thought it would be good to put the opposite view across.
  • Good thread this.

People write more.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Games that Delivered

Super Mario 64 - I still struggle to think of a game that was not only so hyped by the media, but hyped in my own mind from the beginnings of Project Reality. I was 10 at the time it was revealed (proper) in 1995 and I went about consuming everything I could to look at it - I'd buy Gamesmaster (subscribed to Super Play, dad got Edge) with my pocket money to see if they had different screenshots. Id breathlessly talk about the features I had memorised, "it has a cap and then a metal Mario and then you can grab things you grab bowser by the tail and there's water and you swim in it and have a health bar but it's okay coins give you health" - complete obsession.

Of course, both Japan and USA got it miles before us, and I kept reading and reading. I must have known how to get every star in world one before ever playing it. Then a week before the N64 launched a mate told me they had a demo console in Argos on Argyle St. I'd regularly pop into town on a Saturday morning to do the old trade-game dance at Gforce so gambolled down.

There it was.

Playing on a massive tv, some guy tootling Mario around the castle grounds. I watched for ages and then he left. But I DIDNT pick up the pad. Wanted the experience to be pure!
    Launch day and dad went into town to trade in my SNES and 40 odd games (yes, I bloody know.) I remember playing football outside the house in an effort to while down the time. When he pulled up I gave him a hug and ran with a massive EB bag up to my room. Played Mario for 6-odd hours straight. That game not only delivered, it still delivers.

Games That Broke Your Heart

Borderlands 2 - the first was a ramshackle mess of a success, all the pieces somehow came together, broken boss fights and all. Hours spent playing (mostly with Elm and Wookie) tootling about, walking up to particular points with the intent of clearing every achievement, collecting all those panties from Claptraps in what must have been the most tedious quest/drop rate ever. But it was new, different and fun.

Then 2 roll around. The hype train signalling its horn, ready to leave the station. I've preordered the special edition because, damn, it's gonna be great.
    I've cleared out a weekend, told my wife (then girlfriend) I won't be around, and got ready to experience BL2 - second coming.

Except... this is... this is... exactly the same. It's fine, probably looks a bit better, but, was this all it was?
    Perhaps in the fury of blasting through it (hit level 51 in a weekend) and the fact that for some nonsensical reason we all agreed to do it SP (can't have the 'story' ruined can we) it feels so dull and unexciting. How doubly disappointed I was when the Handsome Collection was announced to see there was no BL1.
    It's totally dulled me to the series, I've spent maybe two (somewhat amiable) hours with the pre-sequel, but doubt I'll ever get excited for a Borderlands again - and 2 can take the blame for that.

Games That Came Out of Nowhere

Persona 4 - it's the big boy, the game that cemented my affinity for Japan, nailed my desire to travel to the country (I have eaten many beef bowls) and caused (along with Eternal Sonata) me to re-engage with RPGs again, something I hadn't done since finishing FFXII (any of you who remember my even more tedious visage on the edge forum will likely remember my "fuck all rpgs except wow" stance. Sorry.) But let's go back.

2008, living in my own, in edinburgh, away from pals with a ps2,Wii and 360 to my name. I spent a lot of time on the internet, particularly watching GiantBomb (I used to stay up till 2am to watch On The Spot while at uni) who I still listen to, but only really for their podcast - too many other things to do! Anyway, as people will know, they started their Persona Endurance Run in 2008, and as I watched I was fascinated by this thing that seemed to have no numbers, very little grinding (boy was I wrong) and seemed to be about pals.

I ordered a copy from Shopto and began to play. Goddamit, Jpop, cool guys, Junes, funk, what is this?
    That then sent me off on my retro console hunt (the beginnings of the N64 collecting) for some reason - unable to explain why, but the two are tied together in my head. And I started to fall back in love with Japan.

Every title since (I've still not played Q - god I want that badly!) has simply reaffirmed the love and joy I have for that game, whether it's Arena or Dancing All Night. Truly it is a game that came out of nowhere and that became a formative part of my 20s.

Now, 5 can't sit in this category. I really hope it's under Mario 64, and not Borderlands 2....
  • Spawn was definitely the best of the three exclusive characters.

Nah, he was the worst. Link was clearly the best.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • @vela: you're both wrong and right about H3. I recall the same hype, I recall being disappointed with the opening levels in particular, and feeling like there were missed opportunities. But wow did that game have legs. First level is the perfect example. Once you got into the meta stuff and playing with the mechanics, it became amazing.

Also contains 3 stone cold all time levels for halo campaign.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Games that delivered

Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time.  Both were hyped in the media and in my mind to levels that should have been unattainable in reality.  Both, if anything, surpassed those expectations when playing them.

Games that came out of nowhere

Wii Sports.  Ok, so it wasn't exactly out of nowhere, and i was pretty hyped to try it by the time it was out...but still, i don't think anyone really expected it to be such a phenomenon or such good fun just to play.  From everyone's "WTF?" at wii announcement, to "it might be fun to test out" as the reports started coming in, to playing bowling with my 85 year old nanna at Christmas while relatives young and old cheer and laugh and want to have their go.

Games that broke your heart

none really. as a youngster, all games got played and enjoyed to an extent, and as i got older i was generally selective with games and patient enough.  also i tend to avoid a lot of the AAA franchises (outside of Nintendo) so don't really get caught up in desperately waiting for the next sequel etc.
    In saying that, there were a couple of disappointments along the way. Sensi Soccer 98 (and subsequent 3d attempts) was a big let down, and Oblivion is still the only game i've ever bought and then immediately returned just for it being utter shite.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!