Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Cinty, I'm quoting itv commentary from last night's highlights show, where they mentioned it twice. Not to say they are infallible. I just took it as given.
  • That was your first mistake.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Cinty, I'm quoting itv commentary from last night's highlights show, where they mentioned it twice. Not to say they are infallible. I just took it as given.

Yeah fair enough. If that’s what itv said then they’re wrong.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Porto have been pretty rubbish since 2014

Did they get a bye to the knockout stages of the Champions League?
  • No, but they could only manage to put 8 past Monaco over 2 games.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Cinty, I'm quoting itv commentary from last night's highlights show, where they mentioned it twice. Not to say they are infallible. I just took it as given.

Yeah fair enough. If that’s what itv said then they’re wrong.

They said Liverpool have won in Portugal twice (against benfica in 1978 and 1984), and on both occasions they went on to win The European Cup/Champions League.

Winning the UEFA Cup in 2001, they beat Porto over two legs, drawing away and winning 2-0 at Anfield.

I think Dino just misheard. Sorry to feel the need to correct.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Either way, what happened 40, 34 and 17 years ago is definitely relevant to this year's tournament.
  • The past is irrelevant, unless you mean 1999.
  • The year Phantom Menace came out?
  • Either way, what happened 40, 34 and 17 years ago is definitely relevant to this year's tournament.

I believe so, yes.
  • The Phantom Menace was 18 years ago Tim!

spaced-phantom-menace.jpg
  • Liverpool fan believes in the past shocker.
  • Haha.... I’m proud of ‘our’ achievements and history.

A stat about winning in Portugal many years ago having any relevance now - obviously not.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    So Scotland folks, Alex McLeish it is.

Is relegation possible in international football?
  • He did OK before, but it's uninspiring. The quitting before should have ruled him out as well.
  • Olimite wrote:

It is now they’ve introduced this new league system.
  • Andy wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Porto have been pretty rubbish since 2014

Did they get a bye to the knockout stages of the Champions League?

They have struggled massively over past few years. This season is their best in a while only cause they recalled a huge number of players they had out on loan. There was a really good article about the demise of Porto written last week. If I can recall where I read it, I'll link it here.

• I don’t pretend to know a lot about them or Portuguese football in general, but in the last fourteen, fifteen years they’ve never been lower than third in their league, only appear to have missed Champions League football once, and on the three occasions when they were knocked out at group stage, were in third place, one point behind second.

Everything’s relative, but ‘rubbish’ seems a poor description of them.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Compared to the top European sides they're basically Stoke. The Portugese league has Benfica and Porto as Real/Barca, Lisbon as Atletico, and all the others as Huddersfield. Its a two team league, three at the best.

They're just renowned for snapping up obscure talent from around the world, South America mainly, and selling on for ludicrous profit. See Ederson, signed from Rio Ave for a mil, sold two years later for 32 mil. The ones they don't sell (plus the top three hoover up 90% of all home grown talent) are basically very good Portugese league standard and as such bang in insane goal figures. Case in point, Jonas. 51 in 157 games for Valencia, 112 in 140 for Benfica (only two in Europe in 15 appearances). He's 33 now, has zero pace, and has 25 in 21 league games this season.
  • Olimite wrote:
    So Scotland folks, Alex McLeish it is.

Got a soft spot for McLeish for his time at Rangers just as I was actively getting interested in football (Plus that cup win against Arsenal, which I watched with a smarmy prick of an Arsenal fan who I loathed, which was good fun). And to be honest he’s about as good as we could have hoped for after this riot of a recruitment process, when there seemed to be a real chance we were going to end up with either Malky “PC gone mad” Mackay or whatever candidate the tombola at BBC Scotland had thrown up that evening (Gary Caldwell? Graeme Souness? The defrosted brain of Walter Smith?)

Always knew it would be him, really. Wish I’d put money on it 15 months ago or however long ago it was Strachan walked. Uninspiring SFA appointments are a safer bet than Bitcoin, after all.
  • Compared to the top European sides they're basically Stoke. The Portugese league has Benfica and Porto as Real/Barca, Lisbon as Atletico, and all the others as Huddersfield. Its a two team league, three at the best.

Oi! We only lost 3-0 to Liverpool at our gaff!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Batshuyai has 5 in 3 games for Dortmund. Also Kevin Campbell looked like a prat on it Europa league highlights. Wearing a purple bow tie?!? Who does he think he is? Chris Eubank senior?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Batshuyai has 5 in 3 games for Dortmund. Also Kevin Campbell looked like a prat on it Europa league highlights. Wearing a purple bow tie?!? Who does he think he is? Chris Eubank senior?

Souper Kev can wear what he wants !
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • West Brom Players steal taxi in Barcelona.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/16/west-brom-players-incident-spain-taxi

I saw this earlier shrugging it off as probably some youth players and gave it the whole "what do you expect from making teens millionaires" response.

Turns out the tea leafs were
    Gareth Barry
    Jonny Evans
    Jake Livermore
    Boaz Myhill

Disappointed in Livermore after he has really been given a second chance at a career.

Gareth Barry though!?! The dullest man in football? What the fuck?
  • Barry clearly got in thinking it was an actual taxi, and asked to go to the pain museum.
  • Elise Christie slips on her ass again. This time fouled by the Chinese. Still, if you got to go ass over tit again, at least you've got a nice ass for the cameras. 

3932.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=d3718429418063db9f642abf6971077c

It's the cruellest of Winter sports that. Can't think of another event where you're ability to finish can be effected so badly by your opponents performance. It's like being hit by a Blue Shell over and over again.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I was just watching that and when they went back to the studio, my brother's ex-girlfriend, Sarah Lindsay was waffling on about it. 

Last time I saw her was about 20 odd years ago after taking microdots at The Gardening Club in Covent Garden. Got home at about 6am after an amazing night, still off my tits. Went in to tell my brother about it and he was laid in bed with her, stark bleeding naked. Strange to see her years later, with clothes on.
  • Would've been stranger if she was still naked.
  • Would’ve been strangest of all to see a door at the back of the studio open and a bemused Stoph walking in, apologising, and leaving again.
  • Haha! Whilst jabbering on about absolute nonsense.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!