Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Copa America always had invited teams I think.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not always but at least the last decade, Mexico, Japan, Australia
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fair enough

Still weird tho
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think there's only ten countries in South America though, so easier to make the numbers work

What's Pogba talking about, is he off again??
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • That seems to be his plan. I doubt it'll happen this summer, so I expect to see him firing on a few cylinders for Ole next season.
  • Pogba will be off again every 2-3 years wherever he goes.
    His agent needs a pay day.
  • Thought his agent had been banned for a year?
  • His agent's cat then.
  • Thought his agent had been banned for a year?

I believe the ban has been lifted.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Absolute scenes between France and Nigeria!

Nigeria reduced to ten, and a penalty to France. The penalty was put wide but because of VAR, the Nigerian goalkeeper was adjudged to have left the goal line and was booked (she had, by a few centimetres), so the pen was retaken and scored.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That retaken pen was total bs, seem far far worse, never normally gets given. Home advantage seeing it fo sho.
  • It should always be given though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It's never normally given isn't an excuse
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah, what Dante said
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The fact that the first time I've ever seen it VARed (or given for something so marginal) is in a world cup to the advantage of the house nation feels like more than pure upholding of the law of the game. The penalty was wide not saved. Feels unduly harsh on Nigeria.

My view will change if this starts getting routinely and draconianly enforced. But I highly doubt it will be. In which case I'll be interested to see when it is and when it isn't.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    (I'm not saying this is deliberately/consciously to France's advantage, but I'd be amazed if it was given at the other end. Or maybe ye footballing gods are undoing the PSG handball...)
  • Platimi arrested in Paris.
  • For impersonating Platini?
  • Ahhh, it originally autocorrected to platinum, make of that what you will.
  • The penalty thing - it appears this is a new stricter rule they're enforcing, but it just seems pointless to me. There wasn't a major issue with keepers moving on penalties before so it didn't need fixing.

I'm really starting to despise VAR. It seemed like a good idea with the talk about fixing clear errors, but instead it's being used for the tiniest infringements that are imperceptible in real-time to officials on the pitch. The ridiculous handball decisions are only one problem. Some of the fouls given for pens or to disallow goals are a joke too. Again, it's stuff that would never normally be given, not stuff that the ref would give but didn't see it. I don't even like them ruling out a goal for the most marginal offside decisions. When you get a crucial late goal in a big game and the explosion of emotion that follows, I'd rather see it stand than have it all wiped out because a player's foot was an inch ahead of the defender. Do we get to a point where fans are afraid to celebrate until the goal's been fully checked and rubber-stamped? And how is that ever going to be the same as celebrating in the moment itself?

Goal-line tech is obviously great, and there will always be some good decisions due to VAR, but overall I think the solution is worse than the problem.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It should be like cricket - clear decisions overturned, but a broad category of referee's discretion in the middle
  • JonB wrote:
    The penalty thing - it appears this is a new stricter rule they're enforcing, but it just seems pointless to me. There wasn't a major issue with keepers moving on penalties before so it didn't need fixing.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Keepers can't leave the line.

This was from Collina, UEFA's chief refereeing officer during Euro 2016.

“Referees should pay attention that the penalty kicks are taken correctly,” Collina said. “It should be retaken ... [and], whenever the goalkeeper infringes, he will be cautioned,” he said, adding that it should also apply during penalty shootouts.
  • Gotta admire Derby County for arranging a friendly with us then within a week try to steal our manager. Lol. Bye.
  • The penalty thing - it appears this is a new stricter rule they're enforcing, but it just seems pointless to me. There wasn't a major issue with keepers moving on penalties before so it didn't need fixing.
    I'm not sure what the problem is. Keepers can't leave the line. This was from Collina, UEFA's chief refereeing officer during Euro 2016. “Referees should pay attention that the penalty kicks are taken correctly,” Collina said. “It should be retaken ... [and], whenever the goalkeeper infringes, he will be cautioned,” he said, adding that it should also apply during penalty shootouts.
    Yeah, we know. We also know that it wasn't monitored that closely - because the ref would have to be able to tell conclusively in real-time - but no one was really bothered.

Now there's a specific wording about keepers having to have one foot on the line and we're going to have every penalty looked at to see if the keeper maybe moved an inch off it. I don't think the benefits of that kind of exactitude are worth the hassle, especially since it's something that had never been a major issue before.
  • I'm with Jon on an emotional level, but agree with Dante rationally...if you don't punish someone an inch off the line, then they'll step a foot, or 2, and then it is impacting the penalty.

I propose a new penalty system. Kicker starts on edge of box, keeper on goal line, ball on pen spot. As soon as ref blows the whistle, the ball is in play...keeper can charge out, taker can shoot, dribble, pass to another player....in a shootout there's no one to pass to, and a 10s time limit from the whistle :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The new wording specifically allows for players to start moving off the line when the penalty taker does that stutter run up, it's to make clear that the penalty would not be retaken then. What it also stops is players starting behind the line and using momentum to close the gap.

In this case the keeper jumps forward with both feet before the ball is struck before moving to the side. There isn't a great deal of analysis needed there. That's a re-take last season, and a re-take now.
  • I'm with Jon on an emotional level, but agree with Dante rationally...if you don't punish someone an inch off the line, then they'll step a foot, or 2, and then it is impacting the penalty.
    Then it becomes visibly clear and easy for the ref to call.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Also the French team encroached inside the area. But that's fine apparently.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Scotland playing great tonight following two shitty calls. Such a shame because they're absolutely bossing Argentina.
  • Trying to watch the England vs Japan game, but that fucking England band are making it unbearable.

Why the fuck are they allowed in.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!