Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Well my argument is that we shouldn't be going back to work now. Footballer is hardly a key worker role, so 'nurses have to work' doesn't really wash with me.

By them going back, it's going to put people like G at risk. It's not just the 22 twats running around the field.

Its 500 people to get a premier league game completed. What about regular testing for them? So thats alot of people who are putting themselves at risk for something that isnt that important right now. Also the rather ambiguous information or lack or that they will provide, i.e. if a player at a club tests positive for corona symptoms he wont be named. If multiple players test positive? Nothing in place. Players have to drive home in their dirty kit and wash at home. No catering to be provided on site for the 500 people. Players spit on the field, had that been addressed? No. What about they blowing their noses onto the ground or onto their shirts?

Troy Deeney, has gotta alot of abuse online and in person for refusing to play and train. He has a 5 month old baby who was born with breathing issues. Completely understand why he doesnt want to play. He asked the premier league if there were extra tests for BAME players and they have no answer.
  • Two tests a week not enough?

He shouldn't play, clearly, but wanting more testing is...
  • I do think if there's a chance of anyone dying over something as unnecessary as a footie match then you shouldn't really bother. And yes, the people needed to show the game and host it should receive as much protection as the footballers.

But then, that's in the world where we're taking every possible precaution and trying to eliminate all risk of catching the disease, whereas in Britain we just seem to have collectively given up on even trying. Just throw everyone back to work and let fate decide seems to be our half-arsed plan.
  • Well my argument is that we shouldn't be going back to work now. Footballer is hardly a key worker role, so 'nurses have to work' doesn't really wash with me.

By them going back, it's going to put people like G at risk. It's not just the 22 twats running around the field.

I don't disagree with this. But the question of whether football should come back at all is different to whether being a footballer is high risk or not.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Where in the world can you go that doesnt have Man U fans?
    Liverpool is probably the only place.

Manchester.
  • Two tests a week not enough?

He shouldn't play, clearly, but wanting more testing is...

Not when results take 2 days to come back. If your positive and played a match against another team in that time.....
  • Then tough fucking titties. Don't play at all. He's in the incredibly privileged position where that is an easy option.

Unlike, say, every key worker under the sun.

Also, Watford. Yuck.

• Is it an easy option though? There will be immense pressure put on players to play, and some will feel that they have to or risk being frozen out or sold.

You can say "they're all millionaires blah blah blah" but that doesn't remove they they are likely having to weight up their health against career prospects because the Premier League isn't willing to take a financial hit for the sake of player safety.
  • It's a lot bloody easier than for anyone else, yes.
  • I'd love to be tested and I'm literally in the faces of covid positive people every day almost. Still can't get one.

Lets not do the top trumps shit. The guy is worried about killing his son.

Which has fuck all to do with anything. We aren't in to position to be staging these matches but we're barrelling through anyway because the government is incompetent and the Premier League are greedy fucks. Unless the PFA can be persuaded to refuse the players playing, we're putting this on individual players shoulders and it's vastly unfair.
  • LivDiv wrote:

Yeah I knew I was going down that route. No B&W here unfortunately.
  • I think it goes without saying as well that we should be reguarly testing NHS staff before sports stars, but again that's not the players fault.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It's a lot bloody easier than for anyone else, yes.

EDIT: Ah, whatever. It's hardly Top Trump shit in my eyes but le shrug.

Dante: Of course the fact he could not work and still be stable is relevant. Fucking hell.

• I think it goes without saying as well that we should be reguarly testing NHS staff before sports stars, but again that's not the players fault.

Well said.
  • It goes without saying...
  • Pretty sure Premier League clubs are directly funding Covid tests for their players themselves. It's not coming out of a government budget that was formally reserved for NHS workers. Put simply, no front line worker is having to go without a test because a footballer is having one instead. The lack of availability for testing NHS staff is due to a chronic lack of funding and wanton mismanagement on the government's part that is criminally incompetent.

So let's not pointlessly muddy the waters here by saying football shouldn't return because front line workers can't get Covid tests. 

Whilst I deplored today's tubthumping by the Culture Secretary declaring that sport could now return due to all the government's 'incredible hard work', the resumption of the Premier league, albeit with no fans, but with clubs with considerable financial resources that should enable safe working practices for all those not on the pitch but in the ground, is something that I am glad to see. 

Those that question the resumption of the Premier league season by playing the safety card are probably doing so because their club's season is barren, and have nothing to lose from the abandonment of the national game this summer.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Mate, take the fucking league. I don't give a shit. 

I don't believe there is safe working practices for the 500 people involved in staging a game right now.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I couldnt give a shit if we were on for another treble, just end the season.
  • Supposedly the Prem are discussing mid game TV interviews with coaching staff during breaks in the game.
    Please don't do this, not even half time interviews.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Supposedly the Prem are discussing mid game TV interviews with coaching staff during breaks in the game.
    Please don't do this, not even half time interviews.

I heard fans have been switching off in germany as the matches feel like training sessions without any crowds. Maybe they are looking at anything and everything to keep people glued to the screens.

Ps. Agree with dante and ds. Just end the season.

• LivDiv wrote:
    Supposedly the Prem are discussing mid game TV interviews with coaching staff during breaks in the game. Please don't do this, not even half time interviews.
    We did this on the Prem with ESPN nearly ten years ago. I quite liked it tbh, but it didn't catch on for obvious reasons.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Sounds awful.

Do not want.
  • I wouldn't mind it so much as a viewer but I believe the coaching staff should be allowed to have full focus on the game from kick off to the final whistle, including half time.

Plus it is just going to end up with certain managers (Mourinho) getting slapped wrists for questioning the referees or reacting badly on air.
  • I"m looking forward to when they finally allow interviews in the changing rooms post match like they do in the USA. G.man is really going to enjoy videoing those (not).
  • "The BBC would like to apologise for showing James Milner stark bollock naked in the last interview.
  • When that day comes we'll have to start a therapy fund for g.man.
  • I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Charlie Austin's tackle on the shoulder of O'brien.

I watched pee streams glitter in the dark near Ashton. Gate.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to pie.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!