Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    Interesting side note. My dad was the inventor of the die-cast aluminium snooker cue case, an example of which can be seen here: https://www.cuepower.co.uk/product/peradon-silver-aluminium-snooker-cue-case/

That’s ace, I’m genuinely really impressed but, having looked at the link, what was it your dad invented?  Idgi?  Isn’t it just a case but made of aluminium?  Was that the bit that needed inventing?

Yeah, the aluminium snooker cue case was invented by him. I can’t recall the specifics, but the case was two pieces of aluminium that slid together and formed a hinge. I used to make them in the 90’s to earn pocket money.

The original model was called The Silver Fox and was endorsed by David Taylor (the actual Silver Fox). One night Jimmy White put his cue in one of them and drove his car over it when drunk, to show how strong the case was.

My dad was, at one time, an aspiring pro player. He didn’t make it, but he did manage some other players who did, including Mike Hallett.

That’s cool as fuck.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    Interesting side note. My dad was the inventor of the die-cast aluminium snooker cue case, an example of which can be seen here: https://www.cuepower.co.uk/product/peradon-silver-aluminium-snooker-cue-case/
    That’s ace, I’m genuinely really impressed but, having looked at the link, what was it your dad invented?  Idgi?  Isn’t it just a case but made of aluminium?  Was that the bit that needed inventing?
    Yeah, the aluminium snooker cue case was invented by him. I can’t recall the specifics, but the case was two pieces of aluminium that slid together and formed a hinge. I used to make them in the 90’s to earn pocket money. The original model was called The Silver Fox and was endorsed by David Taylor (the actual Silver Fox). One night Jimmy White put his cue in one of them and drove his car over it when drunk, to show how strong the case was. My dad was, at one time, an aspiring pro player. He didn’t make it, but he did manage some other players who did, including Mike Hallett.
    That’s cool as fuck.

Indeed, especially the car bit.
  • Cheers. It was an interesting aspect of my childhood.

The case features in the TV series Ever Decreasing Circles - you can see it here from around 15 minutes: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x77qrnr. I remember them asking my dad’s permission to use it in the show.

The sad part of the story was that, in order to ramp up production, my dad took on some partners, who subsequently claimed ownership. By the time the courts resolved he was the sole owner, the snooker bubble had burst somewhat. He later sold the business for a fraction of it’s estimated value at the peak of the 80’s.

We had a Saudi Prince turn up at the house one year in the early 90’s in a Bentley with flags rising up from the front of the car and the number plate HRH. He said was taking snooker to that part of the world and wanted to invest in the case. When that didn’t turn out the way it seemed, dad called it a day and sold it on.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Yeah, I thought it looked like a routine they'd come up with to take the piss. But the commentators didn't pick up on it.

Got to say I'm fine with them celebrating together, if we're saying that it's ok for them to mark the opposition at corners etc then it's certainly ok to celebrate a goal with your teammates. Fuck knows where this spiteful objection has come from.

But the way it was covered has me narked. Just report on what you see, don't give a false narrative of the situation.
  • I thought they were making a joke of it more than being serious - but they did avoid the classical pile on.

Maddisson always has a comedy celebration which has been great to see the last few weeks. I maintain a gut feeling that he desperately wants to score against Norwich so he can do a “no celebration”
  • We did this yesterday didn't we? It's the optics of it and trying to lead by example, not the danger of it. There's nothing spiteful that I can see.

I'm just going to start saying 'but footballers mark each other on corners all the time!' whenever any talk of covid comes up in any context.
  • Admittedly my views on this stuff have got pretty hard-line recently.
  • Also, amazing story, Syph :)
  • Yeah, loved that Syph. Top class.

Re: celebrations, a bit mad that's the subject of stories written by journos that travel hundreds of miles to cover matches that could easily be covered at home/remotely. No?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    We did this yesterday didn't we? It's the optics of it and trying to lead by example, not the danger of it. There's nothing spiteful that I can see.

I'm just going to start saying 'but footballers mark each other on corners all the time!' whenever any talk of covid comes up in any context.

I must have missed it.

Still don't think drawing the line there holds any water at all.

Arm around someone at a corner: fine

Arm around someone when celebrating: unacceptable

If you're worried about arseholes using a goal celebration as a justification to break social distancing guidelines then why wouldn't they use the corner/throw in/scrum in rugby? Or is that somehow setting a different example for everyone to follow?

If you think it shouldn't go ahead at all, fair enough. But thinking it should go ahead as usual, with the only exception being that the players can't celebrate a goal with each other is spiteful
  • Well it's not coming from spite when I raise it, it's coming from frustration.

Footballers are our most prominent sporting celebrities, which is why they get the brunt of it. I'd be happy to include other sports in the convo too.

I don't mean to be an arsehole folks although I know I am sometimes so apologies, I'm normally happy to row back and admit I'm wrong. I'm not at that point yet on this though. It's not a hill I'll die on but, ack, I just think set an example and a strong message.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's never going to be a strong message when it's going to be undermined at the very next set piece
  • Loads of people will only see the goal and celebration on the news.

We're not in agreement which is fair enough I guess. I've made my case for my opinion so if it hasn't changed yours then I'm out of ideas.
  • It's not something to fall out over anyway <3
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't think we're anywhere near falling out are we? Just a difference of opinion, I'm fine with that.

Don't show the celebration on the news maybe? Although you'll still have folk sneering and jeering even then if that's their persuasion so it's probably not worth the bother
  • I love Nick_md's avatar. Best avatar on the site. Wish i had chosen it myself.
  • I don't think we're anywhere near falling out are we? Just a difference of opinion, I'm fine with that.

Don't show the celebration on the news maybe? Although you'll still have folk sneering and jeering even then if that's their persuasion so it's probably not worth the bother

Yeah no falling out, was just wanted to make it clear I wasn't getting to that point or anything, it's easy for things to sound/feel heated on forums at times eh.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I love Nick_md's avatar. Best avatar on the site. Wish i had chosen it myself.

Haha, thanks! It's from one of my favourite DJMax songs:

• I think the difference between a corner and a goal is that one is necessary to do the job but the other isn’t.

If you’re talking about minimising chance of transmission then minimising interaction is fine.
  • nick_md wrote:
    We did this yesterday didn't we? It's the optics of it and trying to lead by example, not the danger of it. There's nothing spiteful that I can see.

It was in a different thread.
  • Early days atm but I fancy Yan for this, got off to a blinding start.

What a great day of sport we've got today.
  • Spurs spooked by Sheffield’s attack it seems.
  • Oh well, Motherwell got their new manager bounce. Still unbeaten tho lol, down to 21 points ahead of second for fucks sake man

Kaz! To the car park!
  • Back to square one for Sheffield.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Oh well, Motherwell got their new manager bounce. Still unbeaten tho lol, down to 21 points ahead of second for fucks sake man

Kaz! To the car park!

Chaz was telling me about their manager. Went from Salford to the SPL? Some jump that innit?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Back to square one for Sheffield.

It's spurs, well give them the whole of the second half to try and pull it back.
  • Oh well, Motherwell got their new manager bounce. Still unbeaten tho lol, down to 21 points ahead of second for fucks sake man

Kaz! To the car park!

Aribo has been a liability in recent games. Badly need Jack and Arfield back in action. I won't be happy til it's a mathematical certainty tbh.
  • Oh well, Motherwell got their new manager bounce. Still unbeaten tho lol, down to 21 points ahead of second for fucks sake man Kaz! To the car park!
    Chaz was telling me about their manager. Went from Salford to the SPL? Some jump that innit?

Well, their previous manager came from Oldham Athletic so...
  • Also, I think yer man Adam Rooney moved from Motherwell to Salford cos they offered x times more cash. Scary.

Agree, Kaz. Aribo and Hagi are young and we're seeing the effects of relying on them game after game without Jack & Arfield there. Still, a game drawn after four wins I absolutely expected to draw at least two of, is good enough for me. Onto the next!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!