Jaco's thread of winning free stuff...
  • I'm a winner IRL, so an honourable mention will suffice.
  • That's a bad page turn.
  • Next comp, Syph. Next comp...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Jaco wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    We both design something Lego/Star Wars related for my nephews (SW & Lego mad), possibly slipping a sneaky FT reference in there.
    I'm liking that idea.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Also, are you interested in Horizon: Zero Dawn at all?  My mate is just about to buy a PS4 bundle that comes with it.  I've offered to take it off his hands and he's giving me a super mate's rates price.  You can have it on the cheeky proviso that I borrow it somewhere down the line?  Next year would be fine...
    Snap his hand off Jon.

Hold horses.  The Argos £199 deal appears to be dead, consoles out of stock.  Currently trying to find him another Horizon bundle...

If all else fails, £20 via Paypal would alleviate the guilt of winning with your answer.  It's what I was going to pay for Horizon.
  • I'm perfectly happy to do artwork for both of you.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    "so, so close"

Story of my life right there
  • Honestly. So close. Ask anyone. No one was closer. Sad.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    We both design something Lego/Star Wars related for my nephews (SW & Lego mad), possibly slipping a sneaky FT reference in there.
    I'm liking that idea.
    Also, are you interested in Horizon: Zero Dawn at all?  My mate is just about to buy a PS4 bundle that comes with it.  I've offered to take it off his hands and he's giving me a super mate's rates price.  You can have it on the cheeky proviso that I borrow it somewhere down the line?  Next year would be fine...
    Snap his hand off Jon.
    Hold horses.  The Argos £199 deal appears to be dead, consoles out of stock.  Currently trying to find him another Horizon bundle... If all else fails, £20 via Paypal would alleviate the guilt of winning with your answer.  It's what I was going to pay for Horizon.
    TBH I've no idea where to start with suggesting a piece of artwork, but I'm happy to collaborate or add in a silly idea. The thing for you nephews sounds good.

As for games, Horizon would be of interest but it's not really reliable to post me stuff here. However, I'm hoping to sort out a PO Box later in the year, so best thing is if you just let me borrow it (or another game) at that time, once you're done, and then I'll pass it on again later.
  • OK, I just managed to grab him the same deal from Amazon so the Horizon thing is on if you get that PO Box.  Let's collaborate on an idea to save Jaco making two.  We'll get a Father Ted thing in there.
  • You need to communicate with postcards.
  • That's it. Jim should make a postcard.
  • JonB wrote:
    Done. Right, you start.

noel-4.gif
  • Shall we go with the Lego Star Wars thing for your nephews and I'll sneak a Father Ted reference in? What's your favourite Father Ted gag/line?

EDIT: Also, @Moot do your nephews have favourite characters? (I'm banning Jar Jar, by the way.)
  • I'll find out which characters are their favourites but will probably veto anything more recent than Episode VI because fuck 'em.  I'd never be able to settle on a favourite Father Ted quote, I like all of them.  Today it's probably this one:

but tomorrow it might be this:

• Has any one won anything yet ever
  • Lego and Star Wars are absolutely their favourite things in the world ever (they both like both, but one is obsessed with Star Wars and the other is potty for Lego), so a print would actually make a phenomenal gift for them.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I won Double Dare on stage at Butlins Minehead summer 1991, I got to gunge peter simon and won a walkman and and his record
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I once won a guitar
  • I won a Mr. Muscle competition at a caravan park when I was 5, and a caption competition on The Sun website when I was 32.
  • (I nicked the caption from one of Jon's posts though).
  • I learned when I ran the student magazine at uni that hardly any fucker enters competitions. The number of times I kept the prizes because there were zero entries was shocking. 

That’s why I enter loads of dead simple Twitter and Facebook competitions and win lots of free stuff.
  • I actually won a Star Wars scout walker figure thing once. Think it was a runner-up prize in a TV Times competition.
  • I used this at work quite frequently when someone's talking about making some minor adjustments to something that's pretty much perfect and has been worked on for ages:

Winning stuff: I won a limited print wicked cool 'lit' Akira poster by Otomo from manga mania once, then a few months later won the entire cyber punk collection. 1997 I won the MK64 time trial championship run by THE games for MK64 launch. Did the shortcut on Mario Raceway.
  • I probably mentioned this last time competitions were discussed, but I once came second in a Last Bronx artwork competition in CVG.  I know I came second because when they revealed the winner they said thay'd only received two entries.
  • Ha the dent analogy gets used loads in my office too.
  • poprock wrote:
    I learned when I ran the student magazine at uni that hardly any fucker enters competitions. The number of times I kept the prizes because there were zero entries was shocking.  That’s why I enter loads of dead simple Twitter and Facebook competitions and win lots of free stuff.

This. I actually received a reasonable amount of entries (20+), which isn't bad to be honest. Running competitions is a bit of a mare...
  • So the lovely Jaco has been very lovely and sent me my winning prints just before Christmas, which were custom made for my nephews as Star Wars/Lego Marvel designs.  As a refresher, these are the prints I won by entering a competition with Jon's caption (he came up with the best effort, but didn't enter it), which set wheels rolling in an unexpected chain of events that resulted in me winning for reals.  I gave Jon a copy of Horizon as an apology, so hopefully I'm guilt free here.  It was just a joke, and I did say I was going to do it.  Anyway...

Here's a few pics of my nephews with their prints.  I should've taken better snaps before I sent the package, as you can't really make them out properly here (hopefully Jaco can show us the images in all their glory).

Jaco.jpg
    jaco1.jpg
    jaco3.jpg

Many many thanks, frames have been ordered and they'll be up on their walls shortly.
  • Hey Moot,

Glad they arrived safely with the boys. Hope they like them!

Here they are in a bit more detail:

A3-Posters2.jpg
    A3-Posters3.jpg

And for anyone wondering why this took so long, between a nervous breakdown, a cancer scare and two house moves, I had what can only be described as "a bit of a nightmare year", so poor Moot's requests had to get put on a back-burner. Thanks for being so patient Moot!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Great stuff!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!