Videos Wot We Made
‹ Previous12
  • Was searching for the best place to put this, but couldn't really find anywhere, so new thread.

I made a video review for Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. This is just a demo to see what I can actually do before launching a proper channel. Audio is shite because for some reason it recorded really quiet, but sounded much louder through my headphones, so I didn't realise how quiet until I played it on the TV. As this was attempt 7 or 8 at recording, and I'd then done all the editing I couldn't face starting over, so this will likely never see the light of day publicly, but I'd quite like some feedback from you lot.

There are also a few of us who have stuff on the Tubes, I won't add anyone unless they want to be added, but I can turn the OP into links for any Badgers who would like adding, and you can come in here to advertise your stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Can't you tidy the audio up with something?

I don't hate your voice or cadence, so you're immediately better than 90% of YouTube tossers.

I've not played the game but got your points, and I always like when the video, on screen text and voiceover sync up, so well done there. I'd watch more.
  • Put a sexy lady in the video thumbnail to trick people into watching it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    krs wrote:
    Put a sexy lady in the video thumbnail to trick people into watching it.

This.

Or try calling the video "This woman makes a million dollars a week working from a shoebox under a floorboard".

• This is good Dante, actually interesting so well done you. 

You really need to do something about the sound quality though.  It isn't even that it's quiet its just coming through as really poorly recorded and that is A SHAME as what you're saying is interesting.  I'd sub to you if you ponied up for a new mic, without doubt.

You also sound like me which is a bit freaky but clearly a bonus.

Well done.
  • No u need dis for thumbneil damnyeah

dKM8Qqc.jpg

Ahem.

I really liked it Dante! Up your mic game and you're on your way. Props!
  • It's not the mic, it's that it was recorded really quietly, and I had to turn up the gain to have it audible, which kicked the quality on the crotch. Any future ones will have much better quality audio.

I do have a new mic anyway though.

Cheers for the feedback, will look at getting another one done soon.
  • It's not the mic, it's that it was recorded really quietly, and I had to turn up the gain to have it audible, which kicked the quality on the crotch. Any future ones will have much better quality audio. I do have a new mic anyway though. Cheers for the feedback, will look at getting another one done soon.

Let me know when.  Thumbs up for having a bash at this.  Much impressed.
  • I'll watch after I've played the game I promise
  • You also sound like me which is a bit freaky but clearly a bonus. Well done.
    Are either of you that comedian Jon Richardson?
  • Video for Uni

Videos I've dun aboot games

First one I did...

Later on

The latest!

I'll have a look at yr video and I'll have some advice most likely
  • This was me trying to entertain myself during a 6 hour stop over in Shanghai Airport.

• I hardly ever upload to YouTube now, need to do it more often.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    This was me trying to entertain myself during a 6 hour stop over in Shanghai Airport.

Your breaststroke needs some technical tweaking but really, well done.
  • I uploaded videos of playing Street Fighter and Mario Kart on YouTube. And my B&B music quizzes. Do they count?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've put up plenty of videos of in the past.

It really taught those lying cheating exes what I thought...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've uploaded some Atari 7800 footage, a shit attempt at Radiant Silvergun captured from a real life Saturn, and me setting fire to a Xmas pudding I made 2 years ago :/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6DMZlrG3AjVhJ6mi_YHAQ
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    0:25 - The Pose. Bit after looks like a retirement-village ad.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    My favourite, reposted from a year ago as some of you may not frequent the kids thread:

• Yo so Dants... what Mic do you have, and are you using Audacity?

I can't tell through the quality if you're using a pop-filter, but there are one or two moments that make me think you don't, so if you don't, definitely invest in one. 

I am not sure how you are editing things, but it's worth remembering audacity has a great function where you can select all your tracks and align them end to end in sequence which makes it a lot easier to edit different sections (turn on synclock whilst editing so stuff keeps locked together).

you're like me in that you go a mile a minute every so often, but due to the bad quality it muddies up and there just a few parts where it sounds like you are mumbling into the mic and I have no idea what you're saying, so try and pace yourself a bit better - I still struggle with that, but having a better mic helps.

The best advice I got was in response to my Dusker's review, which Matt Lees ended up watching and advising me on - video for context: 

I recorded this when pretty run down and it ended up being a bit dour. Matt's advice was all about cadence and performance and it was good. Your cadence is immediately better, but you have the same issue that I do in that you tend to trend upwards at the end of sentences, it's hard to get out of it, but It's worth keeping an eye one. Also pacing, gaps are good when they're needed and I am shit at this but it can be good to punctuate a bit more. 

A good tip for enunciation and all that was to stand up whilst you perform. Stick a towel under your feet to stop the foot noises and all that, and gesture with your hands and project forward - you can buy an articulated clamp arm that will work for most microphones and I recommend it because they're great. If you can't get one, sitting is fine but sit like you're a boarding school girl being given posture lessons. 

As for the writing, everything is good, and it definitely works for the video - the matched editing is good, and supports your points which is something a lot of gaming videos (mine included) don't bother with. Lee's advice on that was helpful - treat your audience like they're tumbling down the page and your paragraph starts are rungs for them to grab onto. Not that you haven't, but it's a great piece of advice especially for videos where people can switch of if they have it in a secondary tab. 

For length, the video sweet spot is 7-11 minutes apparently... a rule I frequently break because look at how long this fucking reply is.

Anyway, this is all advice, not really criticism as it's not bad stuff beyond the technical and performance aspects which just need working on. Heck, I need to work on it too, it's hard to get good at it, and it is a long process to find your voice.

Always happy to give advice on tech and software and editing and stuff. I'm hardly a pro, but I've been chipping away at it for a year now so I think I know my stuff.
  • Oh yeah, also the name is good. Don't let your pals convince you it would be better to work with them, thus lumping you with a name that no one will ever remember or want to share.

That would be awful!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Nate wins. And his dad is a massive clock.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Also pacing, gaps are good when they're needed and I am shit at this but it can be good to punctuate a bit more. 

Pulling this bit out as I almost said it myself. When you've made a point, stick in a short clip which reinforces it but drop the voiceover to let me digest it and break up the video a little. Constant talking, especially at pace, can see me zone out and it all becomes a bit white noise.

Obviously I'm just stating what I like from other videos, not got the first clue what I'm talking about regarding making one.
  • My favourite video ever is Stoph's Pip-Boy unboxing.
  • The issue with games is that they don't often support that kind of point making, because to pick an example with Thumper... none of it makes sense out of your hands really.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There must be examples you can chuck in, Dante had a couple in his video. If not then you're probably better off writing an article or doing a podcast, video which bears no relation to what you're talking about isn't helpful.

Thumper is deffo an exeption, it's hard to tell what the fuck is going on if you've not played it.
  • Most video content is just written content but turned into a video. Even a handful of token gestures towards displaying examples isn't the same as the work put into the best video essays, which are often totally wordless.

I always try and edit to reinforce but a lot of people, even those with a lot of subs, just don't bother. 

I guess the reason why people do videos instead of articles is because they take effort, and you hope your effort is rewarded. People basically ignore blogs these days, but even though youtube is over saturated it's easier to compel via video and audio - you can convince with words, but it's easier to be won over through voice. Also as I say, people always sick 'em on in the background.

Also there's no gatekeeping on youtube, but getting a written article published is like pulling teeth.
  • I don't really make videos per se, but here's one of the most fun times I had on the strim.

I liked your video Dants, my only observation was what others had already said, pacing during voiceover and cutting in specific clips to illustrate points. Looking forward to more.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • TheDJR wrote:
    My favourite video ever is Stoph's Pip-Boy unboxing.

OMFG YASSS
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Oh also kudos for having the guts to put yourself out there on the forum.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!