Experience vs Gameplay. Discuss
  • davyK wrote:
    Tried GTA - was the PS2 one. Vice City was it? Wasn't for me.

From your posts in the past and this thread I have you down as very much a gameplay guy.
    Gameplay in 3D GTA games has always been very much behind it's peers. GTAV caught up and was average.

What made the experiences or play, for me was just trying stuff or messing around in the online component.

My favourite experience from GTA online rivals nearly everything I have played in a single player campaign as scripted events but was 100% free range.

Skip this if you don't wanna read my GTA experience.

Me and 3 friends had completed a mission and spawned at the airfield near the prison.
    My friends jumped in light air craft and helicopters leaving myself with a huge, four engine carrier plane.

We started flying over the prison, seeing who could fly lowest, this gives you instant 5 star police rating, meaning the sky filled with police choppers. My friends fended them off for a bit but quickly died or crashed their light armoured crafts. Being a carrier I could take a few hits but had no guns. I took down several whirly birds by flying into them but lost an engine.
    Realising my time was short I bailed from the plane and pulled my chute.
    As I floated down, still under fire, I noticed a train going past.
    I managed to land on a flatbed carriage at the back of the moving train, found cover and preceded to fend off police choppers until the train headed into a tunnel and I lost the filth.
    At this point I had resigned myself to riding the train into town where it would stop and I could get off.
    Then I saw an orange blur coming towards me, it was my IRL housemate in a super car chasing the train. From down the hallway I heard him shout "Jump on".
    I leapt from the train onto his car.
    He stopped to let me in at a gap in the tunnel which was the top of a bridge.
    Just as I got into the car and we wheel spun off another mate crashed into the bridge in a huge fireball after a failed attempt at a kamikaze double kill on the two of us.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That does sound pretty cool - and I reckon the buzz of something like that is great. I reckon throwing even more freedom at me would just make me retract into my shell even more. Just the way I am.

I know my taste is very much in the minority and catering for me wouldn't be financially smart.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • God no, I hate 90% of open world games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I kind of assumed I was in the minority given how huge GTA and its ilk are. If it delivers experiences as described above I can see why it's the success it is though.
  • Knowing taste while being able to appreciate that of others is the ideal really, like any other media.
    Experience games are getting somewhat of a rough ride as they are new.
    Gamers are a funny bunch, often open to trying new things but quick to judge them when different.
  • One thing that seems to often be forgotten when judging these games is how long things have been about for. Films have existed for a lot longer than games, games with native even more so and games that are mainly focused on narrative/experience even less so. Comparing "experience" games to modern films, or even semi-modern ones, is a bit unfair.
  • Another good point.
    Could be extended to commercial value where the closest rival to games is Bollywood, where narrative is largely garbage.
  • And exposure to the medium when young/ in general, influencing the number and type of people interested in making them.
  • Oh, and the time/money cost of getting started making them, too.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Crackdown was ace for just 'playing' as well.

Wasn't it. The act of chasing orbs was fantastic as a way to explore the city. Climbing the tower was the cherry on top.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Best part of the game, that. I only got about half way through before getting bored and giving up, but I collected every one of those goddamn orbs. Of course, Saints Row IV was essentially the same thing but better in pretty much every way, but that came much later.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    One thing that seems to often be forgotten when judging these games is how long things have been about for. Films have existed for a lot longer than games, games with native even more so and games that are mainly focused on narrative/experience even less so. Comparing "experience" games to modern films, or even semi-modern ones, is a bit unfair.

I've said before that I don't think it is, because games have started with decades of film to inform them. Film's already done the heavy lifting.

If games aren't up to the job, it's because their stories have been poorly written - for which there's no excuse - or shoehorned in. Lack of respect for gameplay as a focus, mainly.
  • Fair point, games can learn from other medium's lessons.
    I would argue they already have.

At the same time I think it is worth noting the people involved in making these things and where they have come from.

Film evolved from theatre, music and art. Whereas I would argue games came from science and coding.

Gameplay is much more analogue than experince which is more emotive. Therefore gameplay would likely come more naturaly to the industry and has progressed quicker.
  • While there's a decent point there, discrediting the age of the media thing because it's got other types of media to learn things from is complete bollocks. Film had books, theatre, painting, photography, music... it still took ages for much, if anything, of real quality to be produced. Hell, your last sentence, Escape, is a perfect tell that there's a significant difference.

That could have begun worded better, but it's 3 in the morning and I'm only here while I have a beer in attempt to get myself to sleep.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That most game stories are straight-to-vid standard (at best) must point to something. If it's hard to write a good story because of gameplay interrupting it...

It didn't have good writing, but I really liked Tomb Raider: Underworld's idea:

Tomb_Raider.jpg
  • Half a page late, but I'd add Shadow of Mordor to the just playing thing.  I can't think of another open world game where I'd instigate skirmishes on my way to doing something else.  It was fun to play as a scrolling beat 'em up of sorts.  Even the Rocksteady Batman games (before they fudged the combat in AK) didn't have the same appeal in their fight scenes - they were fun and weighty, but it was always a relief to me when the last man fell.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Multiplayer is an interesting angle here. How integral is it to some slices of experience (eg Live's GTA example above)? How integral is it to gameplay? Orthogonal answers to those questions?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What was said earlier about GTA by @liveinadive. That playground thing I could see me maybe playing a bit. The mission mode far less so.
  • Escape wrote:
    That most game stories are straight-to-vid standard (at best) must point to something.

It does, but it could be all sorts of things. Maybe game writing doesn't attract the best writers, for whatever reason (lower pay? Less respect?) Maybe it's because it's difficult to write something that involves the player without forcing too much on them in terms of how they should be. I could go on, but I have to get ready for work.

If it's hard to write a good story because of gameplay interrupting it...

In some cases, I'm sure it is. But if the focus of a game is a story, the gameplay should be based on and around it, surely?

Of course, this is still assuming that story is necessarily an important aspect of an "experience" game. I'm not sure it is. There's also the idea of providing a framework for players to write their own story with play, which hasn't been explored a huge amount, in my knowledge.
  • It's funny reading this last page, as the 'experiences' being discussed relating to GTA etc are not the 'experiences' i thought the initial thread title was referring to.

i think the 'emergent experiences' had while playing games with friends is a completely different thing to the 'experience' of games that maybe rely on narrative or other elements to make you want to proceed when the gameplay mechanics may be slim and/or not great.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I know I am very much a same room multi-player person, but online presence and the playground style of game are a perfect match.

If there was a freestyle Pilotwings like that I'd be all over it.
  • davyK wrote:
    Pilotwings

What a game. I'd forgotten it existed.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Remind Nintendo. Wings 2, too.
  • Games are escapism so I feel 'gameplay' and 'experience' are perhaps the same thing at a different pace.

Slow paced, experiential games such as Inside or Proteus put you in different shoes or a different world and are a more mellow form of escapism.

Fast paced games such as Centipede or Geometry Wars put you in a mental state where you're reacting without thinking and can shrug off the mortal coil.

Both types of game have existed for decades, so there's nothing new about this supposed dichotomy (just one example would be Zork and Space Invaders). Many of my favourite games change pace and provide both types of experience.

Um... yeah... what...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Remind Nintendo. Wings 2, too.

Sky Odyssey on PS2 was Pilotwings-like. Only planes but still nice despite early gen fogging etc.

The much maligned Wing Island on Wii isn't half bad if you get past the anthropomorphic animal cast.

• VR muddles this a bit. The best experience I've had in years was being stuck in a crashed buggy and forgetting there was a boost button to upright the thing. Just sat there on the back window, which was now the ground, looking out and gawping.
  • trippy wrote:
    Games are escapism

Unrelated to your post i was thinking about about this statement the other day. What does it mean? To me it implies we play games to escape from real world problems/stress or imagine some fantasy where we are different people or our life is different. I don't feel that applies to me. I love my life. I play games cos they are fun and enrich my life.
  • Djornson wrote:
    trippy wrote:
    Games are escapism
    I don't feel that applies to me. I love my life. I play games cos they are fun and enrich my life.

Fair enough, however my life is unrelentingly awful.
  • Get yourself a headset and Elite Dangerous. Escapism cubed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!