3 wishes
  • Billy Connolly made a funny remark/joke about reality TV in one of his stand ups. I remember him summing it all up quite well in typical Connolly fashion.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    I'll put it this way. I'd not be impressed as someone who can only afford Free to air. And there's more people like that than many care to admit.

I would agree to a certain extent. However, I'd argue that the channel explosion just makes quality factual TV harder to find rather than actually diminished. BBC1, BBC2, BBC4 and Channel 4 still air quality factual television. A lot of tat as well, sure, but it's still there.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I'll put it this way. I'd not be impressed as someone who can only afford Free to air. And there's more people like that than many care to admit.
    I would agree to a certain extent. However, I'd argue that the channel explosion just makes quality factual TV harder to find rather than actually diminished. BBC1, BBC2, BBC4 and Channel 4 still air quality factual television. A lot of tat as well, sure, but it's still there.

Probably right. It's just a lot of docs I now see , particularly on BBC, have become very dumbed down in their presentation. Attempts at dramatisation to tell a story for example. I have seen this technique done in older works such as Sagan's Cosmos - but it was done in small doses as a background to narration and was more of an illustrative technique to try and  create a sense of context - rather than one that tries to build tension as if it were an adventure story. It simply isn't needed and cheapens the subject matter.

CGI, while a great opportunity for providing illustration and context, is also over-used and misused. Several times I have given up on series because of its apparant use in place of information.

As for those shown on commercial stations - it is tiring being told the same fact 3-4 times either side of a break such that content is stretched paper thin.

There's a lot of great content online but that isn't available to a lot of people for various reasons and the BBC needs to stop trying to play commercial TV games and get on with informing and entertaining. That's my tuppence worth at any rate.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And now we have a fucking Mrs Brown live show scheduled for Saturday nights on BBC.

Fuck away OFF.

Seriously. A forum cannot convey how fucking annoying this is.
  • You people watch TV when you could be playing games?!  For shame.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Mrs Brown's Boys is fucking awful.

David Attenborough is the saving grace of the BBC atm, along with Brian Cox.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    You people watch TV when you could be playing games?!  For shame.

I'll be playing more now - look out Gigawing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mrs Brown's Boys is fucking awful.

David Attenborough is the saving grace of the BBC atm, along with Brian Cox.

While I like Cox, I do find his shows more and more annoying as he ponces around the world talking about tangentially-related things for 10 minutes before spending 5 minutes actually talking about the physics that I tuned in to see.
  • He's turned into the Philomena Cunk of BIG SCIENCE.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He'll probably never top the time he was flown around in a fighter jet and then got out to say "this was to demonstrate that you can go faster than the speed of sound, but you can't go faster than the speed of light".

WTAF?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Having said that, I still like the guy. I think he'd do great if his producers would just let him get on with informing and stopped trying so hard to make him entertaining and therefore accessible.
  • Cox is on the naughty step after the embarrassment that was the history of the universe in an hour.
  • I enjoyed it, it was a bit of fun.
    Same with Cox's other shows, they are more light weight and easier to consume.

If you want hard science read a book.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not arguing the case for hard science, I just feel that his output, especially the last show, the science has become too overshadowed by nonsense about horse races and human pyramids. That's not what I'm watching for, I don't mind a bit of it to illustrate a point, but for most of his shows at the moment you'd think he was some sort of anthropologist/explorer rather than a physicist.
  • If you want hard science read a book.
    I would've settled for amusing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There have been a few of Cox's series that have disappointed. There was one about the solar system a couple of years back that was brainless and very disappointing.

It's a pity - he's a very good communicator.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyone remember Equinox? That was a decent show. Ch. 4 effort that was a decent rival to BBC2's Horizon before it lost its mojo.

Arena. That was another good one.
  • Na, Gamesmaster was great though ;-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • A nice sandwich, a sunny day and a clear road to drive on.

There's a good chance I'll get all my wishes tomorrow. Let's see how that works out for the rest of ya...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • HAHA! Fucking love it. Almost as much as I love video games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Anyone who does like him should check out the Infinite Monkey Cage podcast, great stuff.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 1. To fly.
    2. To be able to see all wavelengths of light.
    3. To be able to hear all frequencies of sound.
  • Your brain would explode.
  • You're wishing for your brain to explode? While in mid-air?

That just sounds messy for everyone below.
  • Anyone who does like him should check out the Infinite Monkey Cage podcast, great stuff.

Will try to remember to give that a listen.
    I found a WHSmith gift card from xmas 2015 so thought I better use it today. Bought his book Universal: A Guide to the Cosmos.

Also bought Alan Partridge: Nomad.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Mrs Brown's Boys is fucking awful. David Attenborough is the saving grace of the BBC atm, along with Brian Cox.
    While I like Cox, I do find his shows more and more annoying as he ponces around the world talking about tangentially-related things for 10 minutes before spending 5 minutes actually talking about the physics that I tuned in to see.

They need more Jim Al Khalili on the box I reckon, I used to listen to his Life Scientific and have enjoyed most of the telly stuff he's done, but I guess Cox is big box office unfortuantely
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!