Yakuza - it's like Shenmue, but actually fun to play
  • Vela wrote:
    Is that the same as in zero?
    Not that I remember - though I could be wrong. I seem to remember that 2 was all about Hostess dating, when it came to that aspect of the game, though it's possible I've forgotten something big. Also confirmed now - Yazuka Kiwami 2 will have a new, secondary storyline...the continuation of Goro Majima's story on from Yak 0! That's amazing, and means Day 1 no matter what.

My reaction to this in my head was Majima's little 'hmm' when he is pleased with himself. 

Such a fantastic character. 

I assume I've missed out big time not playing 3-5.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Is that the same as in zero?
    Not that I remember - though I could be wrong. I seem to remember that 2 was all about Hostess dating, when it came to that aspect of the game, though it's possible I've forgotten something big. Also confirmed now - Yazuka Kiwami 2 will have a new, secondary storyline...the continuation of Goro Majima's story on from Yak 0! That's amazing, and means Day 1 no matter what.

My reaction to this in my head was Majima's little 'hmm' when he is pleased with himself. 

Such a fantastic character. 

I assume I've missed out big time not playing 3-5.

Yes and no. 3-5 are great games and some of them feature a fair amount of interesting story content for him (4 especially) but he's never been as central as he was in 0. It seems he's now being inserted as the primary secondary protagonist as they go through and re-do the series. Before that he was an everpresent friend / enemy / antagonist who would pop in an out - usually just for a fight and a lol.
  • Sorry I was combining questions there. 

What I meant was whether I had missed out big time not playing 3-5 based on their own merits. Not based on Majima's presence or otherwise.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    Sorry I was combining questions there. 

What I meant was whether I had missed out big time not playing 3-5 based on their own merits. Not based on Majima's presence or otherwise.

Ah, gotcha.

They're all good games, aye, but Yakuza is one of those great series where every game can be taken as self-contained yet part of a wider narrative. If there's games you've missed, don't sweat it. More background helps, but you should always be able to grab the main story arc of that instalment.

Combat wise, the series is better than it has ever been - going back to 3 and 4 recently showed me that the common opinion that the combat hasn't changed isn't true. The game is much faster and fluid than it used to be.

Truth be told, if you're someone who has been a long time follower of the series - like Reg or I - then you'd know that keeping up with it has been an expensive, time consuming and often frustrating hassle. So, don't worry about it. Just enjoy them as they come out now.
  • The combat in 6, looks even better than 0.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Plus it has cats.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Special edition of 6 is up on shopto, £79.99, comes with two glass whisky tumblers. Ridiculous.

Our march 2018.
  • Pre ordered to fuck.
  • Pre ordered to fuck.

Great minds etc ;)
  • Is it possible there's too much yakuza?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    NOPE.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's like shenmue but better remember.
  • Just finished Yak0, looking forward to moving to Kiwami, although I'm going to miss Slugger Majima. That said, I still got cabaret and real estate stuff to mop up, so I don't see it getting shelved soon.
    PSN: Trampoline_Hero | Switcheroo: SW-4808-6417-1689
  • Jo Amon is the real deal. 

Took two goes to beat him.
  • My Kiwami from Amazon isn't due for delivery until September 15th!

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bought. It better be good or reg is havin' it so help me
  • Reg is safe - it's great!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Reg is safe - it's great!

Kneepads purchased
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Reg is safe - it's great!

Kneepads purchased

As soon as DS encounters all the pervy stuff, he'll be sold.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mr Libido = peoples hero
  • Is that the chap with the white pants?
  • My slow, slow pace through Zero has picked up a little, now on chapter 7 and enjoying all the real estate stuff. What a game.
  • Are the real estate and cabaret things completely optional? Enjoying the former, but the latter wears thin rather quickly.
  • They are optional. I got into the cabaret but not the real estate, funnily enough.
  • Real estate is a nothing game and merely becomes a chore you have to wait around to complete. The money is good though and being forced to play nonsense while waiting is a decent way to see things.

Even. The cabaret one becomes an excersise in completing a guaranteed win after a while but the game itself has at least some entertainment value.

For both the money is really useful for higher tier powers.
  • So I got Yakuza 0 today and played a bit tonight. Yeah it is good so far. The fighting is fun and the story has got off to a strong start. I just feel like I am waiting for it to actually open up though.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Really starting to enjoy this now. The combat has a lot more depth to it then I had anticipated, the main story is tootling along nicely and the side stories are just wonderfully bizarre.

It just seems to be sucking me in. Onto Chapter 3 now.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fuck me the karaoke is hard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!