Emigration
  • I am too dumb and undesirable enough to ever make it abroad so I will die here leave whilst you can Matt
  • Didn't you move to Scotland though? I mean that must have been disruptive.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The poor axes

run little hatchet, run for your life
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Didn't you move to Scotland though? I mean that must have been disruptive.

In some ways I guess but it was for university so I had a fat loan to cushion it
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's one of the beauties of poverty, it's also freedom

Having a little sucks because you want to look after it, having nothing is brilliant because you can go anywhere
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    I am considering leaving the UK in pursuit of work.  Photography opportunities are pretty limited in my small town and Scotland itself isn't a lot better.  Germany tops my list at the moment.

My rather vague plan atm is to go over myself for a few months (maybe 6) and see if I can make it work before bringing my girlfriend over afterwards if things are going well.  She has various health issues and I'm not quite sure how that works in foreign countries so would need to do a bit more research there regarding healthcare.

I also kinda want to get this moving before Brexit fucks us all over.

Who's done it?  Who's thinking about it?  Who's whatever about it?

You should be covered for healthcare in Germany - I forget the name but you can actually get nhs coverage abroad in the eu (or, at least, you could) though systems vary from country to country so yeah, do some research.

Take some language classes - seriously, do it. Commit one hour a day for study. Don't slack off. Make the effort and your life will be 100x better abroad, even if your German (or the language of whatever country you choose) is only passable on the beginning.

Find out how to transfer money between bank accounts.

Avoid "expat" communities - at least at first. It won't help you settle in or integrate and it'll make your life there harder.

Find a job - any job (in your field) and get there. Then you can focus on doing what you want to do. It's much easier to find the great jobs from within the country and the experience there will help you get them. Obviously you may be working freelance - I dunno - but it's still much the same. Find an opportunity, take it, don't wait around forever or you'll get cold feet.

Make sure you have enough money for a few months rent + deposit + moving + living costs + a little to get out and about to learn about your new environment. There's little worse than being skint in a foreign country.
  • Kow wrote:
    One advantage of moving abroad is that your foreigness immediately makes you a more interesting and exotic person to the people around you. You can reinvent yourself very easily if you want.

This is true, quite frequently these days I'm the only English person in the room at social gatherings. Last weekend it was Japanese, Korean, Spanish, filipino, Norwegian and Italian, plus me. I really enjoy the mix.

On a similar note I've always got much more mileage out of my smudgy face with foreign women. I've been out with some stunning ladies, quite above my league, which I put down in part to being exotic, for them, with the other part being my ample wit and charm.
  • That's not me endorsing any kind of PUA shit btw, just stating what happens!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I put down in part to being exotic, for them, with the other part being my ample wit and charm.

How much is down to your passport?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    I put down in part to being exotic, for them, with the other part being my ample wit and charm.

How much is down to your passport?

Says the bloke shagging a foreigner, projecting much?

It's true though, or maybe I was much younger and prettier and could be bothered, hmm, maybe to the mental health thread go I

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A foreigner with a French passport. In two years' time, I'll be with her for hers.
  • Even if marine la pen is prez?
  • Thanks guys, some good advice.

Definitely want to learn some German before I go.  Even looking at websites about renting etc, it's clear that not speaking German would be a huge hindrance.  

I'm not sure that when I think that I'm not prepared to go, if I'm just being over cautious or sensible.  I don't speak German, I don't have much money saved, I've never been to Berlin so moving there without stepping foot there seems reckless, I have no contacts there for work or help.

But then part of me thinks I should just go or I never will.  Get some German learned, find out what forms need to be filled in when I get there and go and just try make it work.  I do have a habit of putting things off indefinitely.  

I've given myself a target of April to be heading off.  I won't be able to save a load of cash in that time but could get some German lessons.  I have no idea if that's a realistic target or if it'd be more likely next year.
  • Don't set tight deadlines but do be consistent with working towards, if you can. Appreciating that many humans need urgency to get owt of consequence done, and sometimes not even then.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It's not ideal, but it is free, and will give you basics, grab memrise on your phone it will remind you every day to learn something. Depending in where you live do you have any German community anywhere near by just to get some practise listening
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    B has used that memrise app as well, seems solid for getting the basics.

We have our interviews at the American consulate this Wednesday, looks like that might be one of the last steps (apart from completely emptying the apartment). After that it's time to book tickets and calm down crying mothers (mainly B's mom).

Getting slightly nervous.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A big change will keep you young, alive and smart. It's the best thing anyone can do. Nervous is good.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Passports should be back within 5 working days, including a visa. Glad all the official stuff is over, now only need to get rid of stuff as fast as possible (it really hurts to try and sell my motorbike, that thing lost money value a lot but I love it).
    Better temperatures here I come! Although looking at the weather it's only 13degrees and raining there this week. Still better than 3 and little bits of snow here and there.

Best thing is that I don't need to work at all, B got the job, and now we're married (exactly half year today) I can go with him, but am not allowed to work.
  • Are you going to become a NYC socialite?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Might do that. Westcoast though.
  • God luck Nina! Don't be a stranger here.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yay, good on you Nina, happy travels and best of luck
  • All the best with the move, Nina! Pick yourself up a cool old 60s muscle car while you're there - West Coast is littered with prime examples because of all that awesome weather. Not that I'm jealous, no sirree...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Nina wrote:
    Might do that. Westcoast though.
     Aw I thought you were New York for some reason.  Good luck!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'd rather have a dirt bike than a muscle car tbh, I like to look at the pretty cars but I just don't like driving them. Bikes and bicycles are more fun. But who knows what we will find.

Car will be one of the first things we need to buy when we arrive, I've tried to convince B I need a Jeep or nice pick-up or something alike (I'll take my mountainbike with me, and who knows about dirt bikes in the future so they would fit nicely in the back) but he's fairly set on something economic.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Given petrol prices out there, almost anything will be 'economic'
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Couple more sleeps, flight is booked for Sunday, house is almost empty, said goodbyes to most family members, cats will be brought to their new home tomorrow. They'll go to my aunt and uncle who bought the farm of my grandparents last year, so it's a nice place. Close to my mom as well.

We probably forgot to do a million little things, we don't even have a place to live but we'll figure that all out once we're there. Gonna go straight to the beach to sleep once we arrive. 22 degrees right now.
  • Exciting times Nina!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Best of luck to you both.
    I hope it turns out to be everything you wish it to be.
  • I'm well happy for you and Bas Nina, I'd love to have the chance for something like that. Enjoy it!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!