Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Downloaded, cheers Plan :)
  • Same one that was linked a while back? 

Pretty cool little thing.
  • @DS Don't mention it mate :)

@Tempy Ah sorry fella, didn't realise it has been posted before.

BTW - I WANT TO WORK AT VALVE!
  • No apologies needed, that was back on the Blurum.
  • Tempy wrote:
    No apologies needed, that was back on the Blurum.

What is this Blurum everyone speaks of? The 2nd EDGE forums?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yup, the shite one
  • yes and its a good read
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The idea that you just push a desk around plugin your network cable and power which updates a map on a webpage so people can still find you is amazing.

Accountants learning code, more amazing. Everyone responsible for interviewing.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • An interesting read, seems you'd need to be the right sort of person to flourish in such an envionment.

I enjoyed:

"Definitely panic if you see caviar"

Xbox/PS3/Wii U: Enragedwhale
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Can't find the link, but I was reading something this morning where an ex-employee stated that whilst there is a lot of developer freedom, it isn't quite as freeform as the handbook makes out; there's still a definite hierarchy of sorts - I guess you probably want to have some degree of accountability in managerial/financial positions. But still, the mere fact that the company produces that kind of thing to give out speaks volumes for how forward thinking they are.
    The janitor.
  • valve are just freaking genius, that work ethic relies entiely on the staff being, literally, the best in the world, not a single bad apple, and they probably do fine, if only every similar company could POSSIBLY follow this paradigm
  • I'm playing through Orange Box (360) again and enjoying it even more than the first time. I think HL2 has aged rather well. I'm determined to get into Team Fortress 2 at some point, but it's not easy for an outsider, being as team-based as it is. Are there any forum players?
  • This is also pretty interesting in terms of insight into their flat management structure. Haven't listened to it in at least a year but I remember it being worth a listen nonetheless: http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2013/02/varoufakis_on_v.html

Edit: upon seeing Steam being described as "open" in that passage it's funny how far it's come in three years. Remember this?
  • I don't think there's a contradiction there. It sound like Gabe wants something similar to me. Open hardware and controlled distribution channels. My Android phone defaults to Google's shop but I can install Amazon's shop on there or go to the wild west installing shit from github
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Three years ago, Steam as a platform didn't reflect the same core values that Gabe Newell was saying, I think that was the main point. Since then Steam has become a lot more open, and then there's SteamOS which does allow other other stores (since it is essentially Linux). Though again it's awfully convenient for Valve, they know EA won't be able to justify investing the resources in bringing over Origin to SteamOS and developing on Linux versus the next best alternative. As it stands they have a complete monopoly on Linux gaming anyway, and will do for quite some time.

Also: Android is far from open. And that extends right through to how third party apps from other distribution channels are at a disadvantage because of it. Great and revealing article, that.
  • I remember reading that and I do think Google are pulling some shady tricks. Although I did read a solid rebuttal from someone that works on Android. Still, it's a good example of the kind of system I'd like. I buy an Xbox or Steambox or PlayStation, it defaults to their own store so you can't fuck anything up but you can set it to wild west mode and install anything from there.

I know the current business models don't support this fantasy of mine.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Yeah, I get what you mean, just that the reality of the situation isn't as great as it could be. I've used Android without the closed source components and it's depressing (BlackBerry 10 comes with an Android 4.2 runtime, but obviously without the Google closed source stuff as they would never get a license for Google Play Services and the bundled apps and APIs).

Sony giving up on the Android-based PS Store and PS Mobile runtime is also a sad indication of how things are playing out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!