Dubstep, Grime and other UK urban sounds
  • Oh look, once again its Akala, just dropping in to let everyone know the UK has all the best MCs.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • People in the comments seciton getting mad because Akala didn't turn up and do a thesis for this one lmao, even if he isn't doing the state of the union update, this is an absolute shelling that is levels beyond the vast majority of the rest of the industry.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Treating myself to this later.
  • It's good ofcourse, but the words on screen are irritating in the vid.  Went on an Akala non-music dive afterwards. It's not just the knowledge and prep that's impressive, he's whip-smart when any of his points are countered.  Don't battle him.
  • Words on screen to save me having to listen to it 10 times in a row to catch everything is okay, their editor needs a pay rise tough!

Agree with you on his overall knowledge though, he's deffo a big brain boi. Lowkey is another "smart" lad in that regard as well.
  • Not gonna lie, it's nice to just hear his voice*.  I wandered off after the third album, I probably mention this every time The Streets are mentioned, but that first one is/was a full on belter.  Second one isn't as good in hindsight but it has moments and it still counts as an 'always cheers me up' record.  

Slowthai can fuck off though, based on the next to nothing I know about the chap.  Never heard of Jimothy but his bits are amusing.

*Liked hearing him say 'dvd' again, for example.
  • Nice Hak Baker solo thing:

• Godfather 3 is out and on first listen, although I didn't detect any 6 in the morning/holy grime/flip the table/eediyat skengman tracks jumping straight down my ear holes, the album seems really listenable. 

Need a re-listen but I'm pretty sure Double Dragon samples the shop keeper from Crypt of the Necrodancer at one point lmao.
  • The new Streets album is out today.

A mixed bag I would say but when it hits it hits, best album since A Grand but not that level. 
    Big tracks...

Call my phone Thinking I'm Doing Nothing Better
    None of us are Getting out of this Alive (opens with "I DONT LIKE MY COUNTRY")
    I wish you loved you as much as you love him. (lovely evening summer vibes, Green Tea Peng kills)
    Eskimo Ice
    Take me as I am 

Take me as I am is an absolute banger. Its got that early dubstep sound I love. Straight out of 2005.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Aven't found it yet but loved this

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • New Ghetts track is *chefs kiss* 

• LivDiv wrote:
    The new Streets album is out today.

A mixed bag I would say but when it hits it hits, best album since A Grand but not that level. 
    Big tracks...

Call my phone Thinking I'm Doing Nothing Better
    None of us are Getting out of this Alive (opens with "I DONT LIKE MY COUNTRY")
    I wish you loved you as much as you love him. (lovely evening summer vibes, Green Tea Peng kills)
    Eskimo Ice
    Take me as I am 

Take me as I am is an absolute banger. Its got that early dubstep sound I love. Straight out of 2005.

Was nice to hear Skinner again but it was pretty hit and miss for me. 50/50 split on whether the pub wisdom wordplay amuses intentionally or not. Will listen again, some of it worked and the clear highlights are decent.
  • He is supposedly sitting on a pure Streets album at the moment that was supposed to sit alongside a stage show.
    I'm not confident.

I do like Skinner though. He sounds like me and not many people do, he thinks like I do as well.
  • He's got an infectious tongue in cheek thing that I find hard to explain. Like knowing, purposeful codswallop packaged as insight? Original Pirate Material is an all-time of-its-time record, but it still sounds fresh.
  • Not comparing him to you there ha.
  • Skinner has a way of thinking and writing that always strikes a chord. Even with the albums nobody liked I found he was talking about places I have been.

I wouldn't even dream of comparing myself to him but there is something there in a kindred spirit way. Even Everything is Borrowed clicks with me and most people hate it.

When he wrote that album he got in an odd habit of just walking he would walk onto a ferry and miles into France then call his manager to come pick him up. He was a mess and was dealing with it in an odd but innocent way. And I get it.

I always like that he writes about where he is, his albums are a journal and then he stopped for a decade because he had nothing to say. Then started DJing because actually thought nobody would recognise him.
  • Pirate, Grand and Hardest are some of the best British albums though (not to mention all the B sides and remixes which were various and numerous). He is a national treasure.

The mystery of who it was who "looked great on CD:UK" was brilliant. My money is still on Sarah Harding.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've really enjoyed the new album, a couple of tracks that feel as if they were written directly to me
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Wiley currently inplodng his career on Twitter, apparently Jews are after him
  • It was always gonna happen with Wiley.
    Too insular.
  • Yeah he's off the deep end, started talking about how jewish people are running the industry, then just went off about israel and how it doesn't belong to them, I would say absolute scenes but I feel like every other week Wiley is on Twitter or Instagram ranting about something. This is a next level meltdown even by Wiley's standards. 

Y U DO DIS!?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not seen the tweets, but he's not the first to complain about the industry feeding others before it feeds themselves, despite putting Dre and Diddy near the top to make it look like empowerment. All that said I doubt he has the means to say it well, and given the reaction I guess he didn't
  • I have gone back in time a decade over the past few weeks.
    Inspired and pigeon holed by Kissy Sellout its all Jump up Electro Rock and Rave Dubplates.

I'm bloody loving it. I've even got my Traktor decks out again with the full setup.
    Kissy, Herve, Jack Beats, Boys Noize, Julio Bashmore, A Trak, Tiga, Claude von Stroke.

Loving it.

Edit: Esser Headlock. Bloody Esser. Got me in a right state
  • Bugzy Malone is a bit of a plonker, but he can still drop a fucking banger when required.

That beat is just silly.
  • Blue Story is on sky apparently. Wife isn't waiting for me but I'm already watching Darkman.
  • Thumbs up from Mrs. Moot. Only one recognised ex Deptford Green student though.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000m0j8

Hybrid Minds
    Radio 1's Essential Mix
    Soulful drum & bass dons Hybrid Minds take over the Essential Mix.

This is so fecking good. Just banging. So so good. Gonna get a repeat listen. 18 days left to listen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!