Fraudulent online transactions
‹ Previous12
  • I got an email today telling me that I have just bought a block of knives from Australia and that they are being delivered to an address in Aberdeen. Initially I thought it was a phishing scam, but sure enough the transaction is showing on my bank account for nearly £260. Yes, £260 for a set of shitey fucking Australian knives. My first thought was to contact my bank and stop the transaction, and what with all the publicity surrounding online fraud etc. I expected them to be very understanding and helpful. But no, they said there was nothing they could do to reverse to even halt the transaction and that I would have to contact Paypal since the transaction was to them. Of course, the Paypal site is a bombscare to find anything regarding this and when I finally worked it out they state that it takes up to 10 working days to investigate a dispute. I then contacted ebay who were actually helpful and they have forwarded my case to their fraud department. It seems the fuckers had set the ebay purchase to hidden and the person I was speaking to couldn't see it on my purchase history.

I am absolutely fucking raging. Anybody else ever been scammed like this and do you have any advice?
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • It's not happened to me yet. Sure it's only a matter of time, as I do everything online these days.

Sorry Lt. Hope you get your cash back asap.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I had my identity stolen previously, but they just used it to create a load of credit so it was a crime against the issuers of debt rather than me. Having said that, I had to go through a protracted process with the credit ratings agencies to make sure that it didn't impact my score.
  • I fell for a phishing email today! Absolutely livid with myself. I normally would've been much more vigilant but I was caught in the middle of doing something urgent, alongside my card being blocked by the fraud team last week and a transaction I didn't recognise on my account. Was a very convincing email too.

It was an old password I don't use for much these days anyway, and I've changed it now, but I think I'm gonna move to something like Last Pass now.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Thanks for the knives.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Thanks for the knives.

Sheep shagging cunt.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I fell for a phishing email today! Absolutely livid with myself. I normally would've been much more vigilant but I was caught in the middle of doing something urgent, alongside my card being blocked by the fraud team last week and a transaction I didn't recognise on my account. Was a very convincing email too. It was an old password I don't use for much these days anyway, and I've changed it now, but I think I'm gonna move to something like Last Pass now.

Wen I was on the phone to eBay, they couldn't see the transaction on my account history and neither could I. At that point I did wonder if I had been scammed and I shat it as I had just been logging in to all my accounts. Then the girl I was speaking to from eBay noticed that the transaction had been set to be hidden. Why the fuck would you need to hide purchases in your account history on eBay?
  • I use Last Pass. Highly recommended.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Last Pass for what?
    What is it?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Password manager.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is it an app?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is it an extra level of security or is it just to help organise passwords?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    App and browser extension (IIRC), manager first and foremost, will generate very complex passwords too.
  • Someone hacked Mrs bawjaws Vodafone account a couple years ago, ordered themselves a new BlackBerry to an address in London. We only found out when she went to upgrade and the kid in the shop told us her upgrade had already been dispatched.

Dirty scumbag thieving fuckers.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ok. It would probably be a bit of a pain in the arse putting very complex passwords into a ps4, though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    Someone hacked Mrs bawjaws Vodafone account a couple years ago, ordered themselves a new BlackBerry to an address in London. We only found out when she went to upgrade and the kid in the shop told us her upgrade had already been dispatched. Dirty scumbag thieving fuckers.

If you have the address, then surely something can be done?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We have had attempts made at purchases made on credit cards but they have been refunded (M&S credit card) and successfully blocked - Tesco Visa credit card rang us to confirm we were buying an iPhone - which we of course weren't.

Some of the better companies seem to have advanced threat detection which flags up potential fake logins (e.g. from a different country than normal or at strange or out of pattern times of the day etc) but many appear not to have that.

Strong passwords will help but not if they have been somehow revealed and/or changed by skulduggery such as session hijacking etc.

Clicking on email links is something I just don't do anymore even when I am confident they are genuine. Just isn't worth the risk any more.

Ensure you close down sessions properly, closing apps/browsers and never use "remember me" functionality. I hate the way browsers offer to remember stuff.

It's too easy to browse to a site that has been compromised and has code injected into it to look at cookies, other sessions etc.

And of course - different passwords for everything. Pain in the arse but worth it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    Someone hacked Mrs bawjaws Vodafone account a couple years ago, ordered themselves a new BlackBerry to an address in London. We only found out when she went to upgrade and the kid in the shop told us her upgrade had already been dispatched. Dirty scumbag thieving fuckers.

I was all set to drive down and torch the place! Vodafone sorted it all out, their fraud team dealt with it pretty quickly. Must've been someone with access to their systems, as it happened exactly when she became eligible to upgrade. She changed her passwords for absolutely everything after that.
  • I use the 1Password app as it has good mac and iPhone sync options, but Last Pass is possibly best if you are PC.
    Now, what the fuck am I going to do with all these knives?
  • I think I was most angry at Bank of Scotland who basically told me to get fucked. They are the ones who hold my money and they should not have authorised the transaction that put me nearly £300 overdrawn. It's not as though it was only a few quid overdrawn that might have been an oversight.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    I was all set to drive down and torch the place! Vodafone sorted it all out, their fraud team dealt with it pretty quickly. Must've been someone with access to their systems, as it happened exactly when she became eligible to upgrade. She changed her passwords for absolutely everything after that.

Do you get to hear more about the cunt that did it or what happens to them when they're caught?
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    I think I was most angry at Bank of Scotland who basically told me to get fucked. They are the ones who hold my money and they should not have authorised the transaction that put me nearly £300 overdrawn. It's not as though it was only a few quid overdrawn that might have been an oversight.

If a transaction occured without your actual or ostensible authority, it didn't occur, and they should correct your bank account.
  • My bank actually called me to check on a transaction last week. I ordered some T shirts from the states. Rang me within a day to check it was legit. 

That's all the credit they get.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    I think I was most angry at Bank of Scotland who basically told me to get fucked. They are the ones who hold my money and they should not have authorised the transaction that put me nearly £300 overdrawn. It's not as though it was only a few quid overdrawn that might have been an oversight.
    If a transaction occured without your actual or ostensible authority, it didn't occur, and they should correct your bank account.

They passed the buck onto Paypal since the transaction went through them. By that reasoning, I could have bought a Sunseeker yacht through paypal and they would have honoured it.
  • Yeah PayPal's a bad idea
  • I have forgotten my pin number, can someone give me theirs?
  • I got a call from my bank once asking me if I'd just purchased a tractor in Arizona. Bizarre.

They gave me my money back straight away. I don't know what happened to whoever it was buying a tractor in Arizona, presumably they got away with it, at least initially. I like to imagine them riding their stolen tractor very slowly away from the scene of the crime, bluegrass music blaring, shortly before a Dukes of Hazzard style slow motion chase takes place.

This was a few years ago now, and I get the impression my bank's cyber security has got a bit more half-arsed since then.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Thanks for the knives.

:}

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you can claim that money back, if you can prove that you had nothing to do with the transaction. But you may have to work on both fronts.

I had a relatively small transaction which I DID actually order, refunded, because the company wouldn't let me change my billing address... I argued that I hadn't received the damn thing, don't know where it is, and so it was up to them to get it back.

This may well be the same thing, but with moar cash. So contact the vendor first.
    Then you should ask the bank about the security measures on your card.

Tbh, I'd be just as pissed as you, if I were in your position.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I handed over almost £15k of my work's money to a scammer last month, on the basis of some chatty and very authentic-seeming emails with what I thought was a Partner (email address set up in his name). We only didn't lose it (because the authorisation came from me, with my correct access) because HSBC, thank god and I'll love them forever, flagged it as suspicious and handed it back when we called. Looking back I cannot believe how easily it happened, I put it down to extreme tiredness.
  • My debit card details were stolen in a hack on a online shops site a couple of years back. The hackers then went to Wonga and made scores of small loans, it added up to about £1500 by the time they had finished.
    Lloyds, who when I chased them up, told me they had the best automatic security software of the UK banks, well this software didn't think that it was suspicious that someone with at least £1500 in the bank was making about 15 mini loans a day (short term 24hr payback to Wonga) for anything between £15-50 for a week.

I got it all back in the end but they dragged their heels.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Pricks like Wonga shouldn't be allowing that kind of activity either.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!