Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • g.man wrote:
    What would actually have been the best plan would have to just have Superman with a big fucking moustache in some scenes, but not in others. Rest of the cast could just have given him that confused look like something was different but they couldn't quite figure out what.
    But no one would recognise him.
  • They could have made that a thing too.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Or the classic evil twin scenario.
  • Yeah pretty much, caville had moved onto being in mission impossible, and justice league went through a lot of reshoots after production had wrapped up. Think it might have been Whedon taking over after Snyder left (although I hear he was reportedly fired before his family tragedy...) and trying to ‘lighten the tone’, make it more in line with a Marvel film.

Which I think is kind of shitty. No matter what I feel about the current DC films, people do like these films and prefer the style over Marvel films. Them trying to shoehorn in a new tone and style will leave those fans behind. I’ve heard people who liked BVS etc really disliked the new direction of JL.

Edit: what reg said...

Whoa, whoa there. Say what now?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yeah I know, hard to believe, but they do exist. My brother in law loves Gotham and most of the DC stuff, doesn’t think too highly of marvel stuff. He’s not even a comic fan really, just prefers the style I guess. Also loads of bat and supes fans out there who stuck with man of steel etc.

My dad thought civil war was a load of shit, but loved suicide squad. To be fair he also thought sucker punch was one of the best action movies, which left me to question his sanity.
  • Yeah I know, hard to believe, but they do exist. My brother in law loves Gotham and most of the DC stuff, doesn’t think too highly of marvel stuff. He’s not even a comic fan really, just prefers the style I guess. Also loads of bat and supes fans out there who stuck with man of steel etc. My dad thought civil war was a load of shit, but loved suicide squad. To be fair he also thought sucker punch was one of the best action movies, which left me to question his sanity.

I find Gotham an interesting take on the Batman stuff. I mean, it's terrible in terms of plot, acting (especially the b villains) and design but for a while it was oddly compelling to see how batshit they would get in terms of redesigning the villains origins.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Gotham is nothing like the DCEU though. Frankly, all of their TV stuff has been better than the films, bar Wonder Woman.
  • JonB wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    What would actually have been the best plan would have to just have Superman with a big fucking moustache in some scenes, but not in others. Rest of the cast could just have given him that confused look like something was different but they couldn't quite figure out what.
    But no one would recognise him.
    I'm now imagining a world where superman would stick on a fake moustache to differentiate himself from being Clark Kent. I think this would basically fix all the DC movies if this was the case.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Works for me. Considering the re-shoots were designed to lighten the tone of the film, they've really missed out on a vein of comedy gold with all this moustache business.
  • Someone needs to go in and reinsert the moustache.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Wouldn't it have been easier to add a CGI moustache rather than CGI out a real one? Moustaches are fuzzy.

This now reminds me of the short film CGI-brows (which I have probably posted before):

• Yeah I know, hard to believe, but they do exist. My brother in law loves Gotham and most of the DC stuff, doesn’t think too highly of marvel stuff. He’s not even a comic fan really, just prefers the style I guess. Also loads of bat and supes fans out there who stuck with man of steel etc.

My dad thought civil war was a load of shit, but loved suicide squad. To be fair he also thought sucker punch was one of the best action movies, which left me to question his sanity.

I’m a huge DC fan and prefer their comics over the vast majority of Marvel stuff, but their films absolutely stink. You can debate the difference in tone and style between the 2 camps but there’s no denying that the MCU just produces better quality films.

I remember a time when I would’ve been absolutely beside myself with excitement over a Justice League movie - but I just can’t face watching it. I sat through Man of Steel but only managed about 45 minute of BvS before I had to switch it off. I haven’t even attempted SuSq and feel no real desire to watch Wonder Woman either.

Fucking Zac Snyder, it’s all that cunts fault.
  • Not to pile on the dc is crap bandwagon but I didn't think wonder woman was that great a film. Gabot did very well but it's not much of a step up from the first captain America film in terms of just being bland. It's an ok film and probably the best of the bunch but it's been highly over rated in my view.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Couldn't agree more. She's an engaging lead, but as a film I thought it was a massive disappointment.
  • I really like Gadot but I’ve still not been tempted to watch Wonder Woman.
  • I thought it was good until the end, but more importantly it gave girls and young women a hero with a leading role who wasn't relegated to the background. In a pantheon in films that is so culturally overbearing. The importance of that I don't think can be overstated.
  • I do appreciate that. Ideally we’ll see great films doing the same, rather than needing to celebrate a ‘good enough’ one.
  • But plenty of people think it's great, probably the same people that it is for, which is more than enough.
  • I thought the general reception was important milestone rather than great movie? If it has genuine fans then all the better, good for them. No point pissing on anybody’s chips.
  • Suicide Squad and BvD had genuine fans. Plus, I don't think children and teens are verified on Rotten Tomatoes.
  • I saw g.man's worst nightmare yesterday.  It was fine.  First half hour or so promised something that the rest didn't really deliver.  Maybe the sequels will go more in that direction.

Spoilers for Black Panther
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I remember WW getting a pretty positive critical reaction, about as good as any superhero movie that wasn’t directed by Nolan can hope for.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Yeah I know, hard to believe, but they do exist. My brother in law loves Gotham and most of the DC stuff, doesn’t think too highly of marvel stuff. He’s not even a comic fan really, just prefers the style I guess. Also loads of bat and supes fans out there who stuck with man of steel etc.

I’m a huge DC fan and prefer their comics over the vast majority of Marvel stuff, but their films absolutely stink. You can debate the difference in tone and style between the 2 camps but there’s no denying that the MCU just produces better quality films.

I remember a time when I would’ve been absolutely beside myself with excitement over a Justice League movie - but I just can’t face watching it. I sat through Man of Steel but only managed about 45 minute of BvS before I had to switch it off. I haven’t even attempted SuSq and feel no real desire to watch Wonder Woman either.

Fucking Zac Snyder, it’s all that cunts fault.

I agree, they’re pretty awful (although I did like bored republican Batman in BvS - was a neat and probably unintentional twist on the character).

And I do think the quality, writing, style etc in Marvel films are far FAR superior, but I guess they might be too ‘light-hearted’ for some, and maybe listen to Static X and godsmack a lot (jk)
  • Yeah WW did great guns with the press, and yes it's refreshing to see a female lead in one of these films (I guess just like it's refreshing to have a black lead in Black Panther), but the truth is it's just not a very good film. Like Red said, it's very much a retread of the first Captain America film, which itself was merely average. Much of the press seemed rather blind to this, so busy were they fawning over Gadot.
    I expect once we get into Marvel's Phase 4 and the prospect of New Avengers, we'll see stuff like Mexican Man and Captain China being promoted to the ranks too.
  • Or much of the press liked it, y'know. Opinions and arseholes and so on.

I am of the onion that it was more important for it to happen than for it to be great, but I still think it was a good, fun film. 

The last act was pish, but you can say that about pretty much every MCU film too. I watched Homecoming last night, it had some good ideas, but it ended with a whimper.
  • You should definitely trademark captain china.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I really like Wonder Woman. I'd agree that the final battle falls flat, but it's hardly alone in that.

I do wonder if you get more out of it if you've read the comics.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    You should definitely trademark captain china.

Surprise twist: he’s actually white and suffers from brittle bone disease.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Smashing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!