Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought it was fine too.
  • Yeah, those two first Spideyman films were really good.
    See I was really into Marvel comics when I was a child. Started with Marvel Comic, then Spiderman when he got his own comic. Loved The Avengers when they got their own comic. Read The X-Men for a good few years too.
    Now this is clearly a very long time ago (tail end of the 60's probably till the tail end of the 70's when I switched to 2000AD, so it's not like I have no knowledge or love of the Marvel universe, but as the films get bigger and more complicated they're losing me, because they over-rely on knowledge of previous films.
    Now I've seen the vast majority of them (but not necessarily in the correct order which obviously doesn't help) but none of their plots are the least bit memorable regardless of whether I enjoyed them or not, so by the time you get to something like Captain America: Civil War, I'm really struggling to work out what the fuck is going on.

CA:CW begins with them fighting some Big Punchy Man with robot fists in some foreign country. I don't know who he is, I don't know if I'm even meant to know who he is, and he's never introduced properly. Maybe I've seen him in a previous film or maybe I haven't, but I have no knowledge of who he is. Would it really hurt to have a couple of lines of exposition at this point explaining what the fuck is going on?

Then there's this guy who is the main villain, but for most of the film you have no idea who the fuck he is because he's just Anonymous White Man. Turns out he's actually the son of a character (who to the best of my knowledge) has never appeared in any of the Marvel films. That's not terribly helpful either.

At one point during the Civil War (I'm afraid none of that washes as a plot either, but I'll let it go) recruitment bit, Flying Black Man (who was apparently in another Captain America film which I have seen but don't remember him) says I know someone who can help! and then later he turns up with what turns out to be Ant Man in a van. God help you though, if like me you haven't yet watched the Ant Man film, because they don't bother to introduce his character here anyway, so until he actually puts on his costume you have no idea who he is either.

Everyone then punches everyone else for a very long time.

After that there is a denouement in Siberia, none of which makes much sense either, then there's more punching and nothing is resolved.

It's not a terrible film, but it left me baffled for long stretches.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Your confusion is down to watching them in the wrong order, Shirley?

Can't help with you forgetting who characters are though. But I'd not want everyone to announce who they are in their first scene of every film they're in like Troy McClure.

Not being able to jump in anywhere or watch them in a random order is one of the down sides to this cinematic universe thing, but for those of us who watch them in the right order and can remember who's who then it's not an issue.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think Flying Black Man was recast at some point before he levelled up to Flying Black Man as well, just to add to the confusion.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • No that's a different flying black man I am pretty sure.

You pretty much have to take the MCU as you would any big cross-over event in comics. If you don't read all the sub-issues in order you're going to have trouble. Just be thankful cinema means that they're released gulfs of time apart instead of you rocking up to the comic book shop to be presented with 24 issues that all fill in random parts of the chronology.
  • Your confusion is down to watching them in the wrong order, Shirley? Can't help with you forgetting who characters are though. But I'd not want everyone to announce who they are in their first scene of every film they're in like Troy McClure. Not being able to jump in anywhere or watch them in a random order is one of the down sides to this cinematic universe thing, but for those of us who watch them in the right order and can remember who's who then it's not an issue.
    Thing is, no one else in CA:CW has actually met Ant Man, so when he turns up with Flying Black Man it wouldn't be a great stretch of the imagination to actually introduce him properly to his mates, because if I was Captain America I'd be like who the fuck is this guy?
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I think Flying Black Man was recast at some point before he levelled up to Flying Black Man as well, just to add to the confusion.
    Nah that was other flying black man.
  • ...and people wonder why I'm confused.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I presumed it was age-related.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They should do a DC Marvel crossover film. Both universes together.
  • To be fair on g here it is difficult to know what order these things are in now.
    Especially when you have things like Captain America: Civil War which is really an Avengers movie.
    I used to be able to keep up but then they started releasing a few a year, some were shite so not worth a cinema trip, by the time they arrived on Netflix or TV another two or three movies had been on at the cinema.
    The way Disney have structured The Star Wars movies is much clearer. You have the numbered saga movies alternating with non-numbered spin offs. You don't have to see the spin offs but you should watch the numbered ones in order, easy.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They obviously want this potential confusion to make sure people watch all the films. Going to see Avengers 7? Better buy Thor 9 on bluray to make sure you don't get lost.
  • I mean we do live in a world with IMDB seconds away. It's not the way it should be, but it's got precedent in comics already. Good luck reading any of their crossover events without a guide.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I'm sure it doesn't help.
  • Yeah, it's hard to keep up and I don't think there should be any assumption that the audience has watched everything that's gone before. The fans love it, but it's a bit alienating to a semi-outsider.
  • g.man wrote:
    Yeah, it's probably a factor.

Edit: Not only in terms of memory either, but also in giving a shit about the finer details of men in spandex stories.
  • It also annoyed me that at the beginning of CA:CW, Big Punchy Man threw Black Widow (who to the best of my knowledge has no real powas, and was wearing civvies) into an armoured vehicle, dropped a grenade in and closed the hatch. She then was blown out of the back of the vehicle when the grenade went off without so much as a hair out of place or a mark on her clothes.
    Now I know these are just big daft movies, but ffs, that's just piss poor writing, and the marvel films seem to have more and more of this sort of nonsense as they go on.
  • There are alot of superhero tv shows. The quality does vary alot. 

Not seen: 
    Iron Fist (not good reviews)
    Powerless (has potential apparently)

Won't watch:
    Gotham (cant be arsed)
    Agents of Shield (cant be arsed)  
    Arrow (garbage)
    Supergirl (garbage)
    Legends of Tomorrow (garbage would be a compliment)

Have watched / am watching:
    Daredevil (amazing)
    Jessica Jones (very good)
    Legion (which im working through at moment, is touch and go)

Luke Cage (just started)
    Preacher (very good)
  • She used a baddy stooge as a human shield - so it was only her body that was violently smashed against the closed door of an armoured car by a high explosive concussion wave. I reckon I could shrug that off m'self.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • She's protected by the fact she hasn't had her standalone film yet.
  • She must have a great tailor.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    To be honest, I can't keep on top of who everyone is either, I'm just fortunate in that I'm not too bothered. A sense of humour and some decent action and I'm pretty much happy.

I will say that, as much as I understand the criticisms chucked at the MCU, I do appreciate the fact that Marvel/Disney are trying to do something a bit different. It's an ambitious project, which comes with its own set of difficulties, but the fact that it does all tie in together does add an extra edge to it and I like the fact that someone's attempting something like this.

I look forward to phase 1 of this to finish and rewatching all of these films in a short space of time to see how it all comes together.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Yeah, it's probably a factor.

Edit: Not only in terms of memory either, but also in giving a shit about the finer details of men in spandex stories.

And that's fair enough if you don't give a shit. Miss a few films and watch them in any order you fancy.

But if you do give a shit about the finer details, and there are some causing issues here, then it seems fair to expect you to watch them all in the correct order dunnit?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    omg i got the two flying black men mixed up and now i feel like a massive racist aaarrghhh
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Won't watch:
    Gotham (cant be arsed)
    Agents of Shield (cant be arsed)  

I like Gotham, especially the second series.

Agents of Shield provides a nice counterpoint to the MCU films, IMO.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Won't watch: Gotham (cant be arsed) Agents of Shield (cant be arsed)  
    I like Gotham, especially the second series. Agents of Shield provides a nice counterpoint to the MCU films, IMO.

I don't really have the time to dedicate to series which are 18-24 episodes a season. i much prefer 10-12 episodes a season without any fillers. That said i can see myself liking agents of shield.
  • And that's fair enough if you don't give a shit. Miss a few films and watch them in any order you fancy.
    But that's the issue - they start to make less sense and seem unnecessarily bloated, and some of them are just boring because of it.

TBH I don't know if there's an ideal solution - maybe they either have to appeal to the fans or divs like me and there's more to be made from the former. I think there may be just too many films (and TV shows) and characters at this stage or me to keep up, and they're still raking in the cash.

But personally, I'll always prefer something a bit tighter and focused - Dr Strange was decent.
  • As someone who read a lot of these comics in the 90s-mid 00s, I am in genuine awe when I see these films. Also the fact they are a bit more child friendly than most (although that's getting to be less the case I find) means you could be sitting near kids literally standing on their cinema seats in excitement, which is amazing to see.

I was almost breathless watching the first avengers film, just could not believe they brought something as awesome as the ultimates to life. I pretty much catch every single marvel film I can, and having loads of prior knowledge means I don't have to think too hard as I know the bulk of the story set up already.

I do understand not giving a shit though, I work for an indie and foreign film distrib so I hear a lot of groans about these films. Annoys me when all comic based films are lumped together like their own genre though, as there's so much diversity in now. Blue is the warmest colour was a comic/graphic novel ffs.
  • Imagine if they'd actually done The Ultimates though. Steve Rodgers as a borderline revisionist conservative, Iron Man as a drunk rapist, Hank Pym as a liar and an abuser, Bruce Banner as a pathetic waste of flesh and the Hulk as a homophobic meathead.
  • Isn't that just The Tory Party?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!