Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • I think it was the Empire spoiler special on Captain Marvel where they reckoned there was a great deal more back story flashback stuff shot but ultimately canned (possibly to resurface in a longer cut down the line) to keep the pace up. Part of their reasoning was that one of the young actresses playing the young Carol is quite a famous and highly regarded kid actress and that would seem like a weird choice as she barely features.
  • I didn’t like Captain Marvel but there’s been, what, 15 or so super people origin films over the past decade or so. I’m grateful they chopped it up a bit. As bad as the film was it would have been much worse if it had been an hour of scene setting and character stuff before. Even if, had they gone that route, you’d have got a character development payoff at the end that worked better.
  • The whole thing was flawed really. Too much “we’re making this film”, too little “why are we making this film.” DC syndrome.
  • And people think I'm a grumpy old bastard. Get a load of this for a takedown...

TWO FUCKING HOURS!

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • “You can’t just sit on the couch with me all day watching *looks into camera* The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air!”

Nirvana playing on vinyl was a high point for me. Who the fuck owned nevermind on vinyl in 199X?
  • g.man wrote:
    And people think I'm a grumpy old bastard. Get a load of this for a takedown...

TWO FUCKING HOURS!

g.man

Before I even clicked on it I knew it was MauLer, fucking hell
  • Saw Shazam! last night.

Really good fun, though a few odd tonal shifts at times.
  • Nirvana playing on vinyl was a high point for me. Who the fuck owned nevermind on vinyl in 199X?

I did. But not until that song came out in 1992, whereas Carol Danvers was supposed to have left Earth in ’89. Oops.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just watched Captain Marvel, it did the job for me. Not Marvel’s greatest, but a perfectly cromulent way to while away a couple of hours. Probably the best superhero flick soundtrack yet too.

Talking of which:

poprock wrote:
    Nirvana playing on vinyl was a high point for me. Who the fuck owned nevermind on vinyl in 199X?

I did. But not until that song came out in 1992, whereas Carol Danvers was supposed to have left Earth in ’89. Oops.

True, however, the film was set in 1995. As for the vinyl thing (minor spoiler):
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Spoiler:

Is it? I didn’t get that impression at all.
  • Entire plot is a garbage fire, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over the Nirvana dates. I'm actually almost entirely convinced that the screenplay was generated by experimental A.I.

or monkeys. lots of monkeys

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Is it? I didn’t get that impression at all.

I did. Obviously.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Just watched Captain Marvel, it did the job for me. Not Marvel’s greatest, but a perfectly cromulent way to while away a couple of hours. Probably the best superhero flick soundtrack yet too.

Talking of which:

poprock wrote:

True, however, the film was set in 1995. As for the vinyl thing (minor spoiler):
    Spoiler:

Ah no. Guardians soundtrack beats all for quality, variety and use. The songs in cap marv are good and all but they often feel like they come out of nowhere (worst offender is just a girl simply because it's a fight against enemies who didn't have an issue with her being a girl)

On the vinyl thing, I still have smells like teen spirit on vinyl somewhere. My sister picked it up for some unknown reason back in the day. But even with that...
    Spoiler:
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Ah no. Guardians soundtrack beats all for quality, variety and use. The songs in cap marv are good and all but they often feel like they come out of nowhere (worst offender is just a girl simply because it's a fight against enemies who didn't have an issue with her being a girl)

True, Guardians was a good soundtrack, but the songs in this weren’t coming out of nowhere. With the exception of Come as You Are, all the songs were from 90s, female-fronted bands.

And, FWIW, I thought Just a Girl was great there. A sarcastic song about how powerless women are at the point that she realises her true power seemed pretty fitting to me.
  • Despite being a terrible film, Suicide Squad had a great soundtrack.
  • It’s such a pain in the ass to merely rent AntMan and Wasp.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    True, Guardians was a good soundtrack, but the songs in this weren’t coming out of nowhere. With the exception of Come as You Are, all the songs were from 90s, female-fronted bands. And, FWIW, I thought Just a Girl was great there. A sarcastic song about how powerless women are at the point that she realises her true power seemed pretty fitting to me.

They are girl-fronted bands but thats kinda of it with the exception of Just a Girl and again that kicks in during a fight scene against the Kree who never held the issue of gender against Danvers. It doesn't work for me. Its too simple and way too obvious. Its a lazy choice (but a good song). Surely something like Vow by Garbage lyrically fits there/ (although funnily enough, Garbage didn't like being chucked in with Grrrrl Rock at the time)

I don't know, I like the songs, I just find that they were really obvious choices and a bit more effort could have been made. Its the same with the men holding her down. Its nearly always (and I've only seen it once so bear with me) depicted as a man shouting at her or laughing at her saying she cant do it, but that feels like such a 'blah' way to depict it. part of just a girl is also aimed at the man who is over protective/ under estimating even if the intentions are good.

Overall, I think the soundtrack sums up the film - its fine, decent in parts but lacks real passion especially for the message it wants to get across.
    SFV - reddave360

If you had Sky movies , it’s just turned up on there
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @g.man - mostly agree with your summation of Marvel.

I thought the second half was better than the slow first. And the Sam stuff was great, though I could watch him in anything. As someone who hasn’t read the comics I couldn’t give a toss about the character so emotionally it had zero resonance.
  • RedDave2 wrote:

They are girl-fronted bands but thats kinda of it with the exception of Just a Girl and again that kicks in during a fight scene against the Kree who never held the issue of gender against Danvers. It doesn't work for me. Its too simple and way too obvious. Its a lazy choice (but a good song). Surely something like Vow by Garbage lyrically fits there/ (although funnily enough, Garbage didn't like being chucked in with Grrrrl Rock at the time)

I don't know, I like the songs, I just find that they were really obvious choices and a bit more effort could have been made. Its the same with the men holding her down. Its nearly always (and I've only seen it once so bear with me) depicted as a man shouting at her or laughing at her saying she cant do it, but that feels like such a 'blah' way to depict it. part of just a girl is also aimed at the man who is over protective/ under estimating even if the intentions are good.

Overall, I think the soundtrack sums up the film - its fine, decent in parts but lacks real passion especially for the message it wants to get across.

100% agree, the songs actually felt like a ‘Now that’s what I call 90s’ compilation.

And that rando jukebox playing just a girl was the cherry on the cake really, just really simple and obvious.

Which isn’t a bad thing, really. It’s just like reddave said, I expected more for some reason.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Film set in the 90s has a 90s soundtrack which includes good music which fits the plot and tone of the film. And that's a bad thing?

The Nirvana thing earlier, what if she heard the song on the wireless while back on Earth? New memories feed the AI thing. Plot hole expunged.

I feel a few people really want to shit on this film and it doesn't deserve it.
  • Film set in the 90s has a 90s soundtrack which includes good music which fits the plot and tone of the film. And that's a bad thing?

The Nirvana thing earlier, what if she heard the song on the wireless while back on Earth? New memories feed the AI thing. Plot hole expunged.

I feel a few people really want to shit on this film and it doesn't deserve it.

Ah now, relax a bit. We don't have to agree on the music , it does not mean I want to take a shit on a film that I was hyped for and still enjoyed. I just think it under delivered and felt far too safe and lazy in its choices.

Forgetting that the film looks the be summer of 95 and just a girl came out in September 95 (now that's a quality nit pick) I genuinely think the music takes away from the scene. It doesn't fit the tone and it seems very out of place for what is captain marvels big showdown with her ex-teamates .

The other tunes are fine but they are mostly obvious girl rock. Here's garbage, here's hole. I'm kinda surprised Veruca salt didn't make it as well point is that there were some genuine hard hitting female bands that they could have used and didn't. But hey, that's personal choice.

As for come as you are, I thought it was a real neat touch the way it kicked in but it was style over substance. I don't think it ruined the scene but it immediately seemed out of place with the image of Carol danvers the film has shown you. Free falling by Tom petty would have been a more apropriate fit for me it if you want a musical legend of the era Stevie Nick's rooms on fire chorus would probably work. Both of these are 1989. The year Carol disappears.

Edit: also - they could have easily introduced nirvana into the story by having it as a bonding point between Carol and the daughter. "Hey you and my mum loved music, this is what I like now check it out"

Boom! Pay me now.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It was just a little on the nose, and quite shoe-horned in. I was extremely excited to see the film, and think Brie Larson was an awesome get.

I think my expectations were maybe just too high, personally. I mean, Envy Adams as a cosmic hero!

tumblr_mfh1wf8oLb1r20n3co8_r1_250.gif

Edit: snap! with music, I was gonna mention veruca salt too!
  • Another missed chance was morphing sweet dreams (annie lennox, genuine female icon) into Marylin manson sweet dreams (1995 release). 

Just bearing in mind that what got me started was Yoss stating this had a better and more fitting soundtrack than the Guardian movies.

I'd be firmly with the jelly bean fella, I didn't dislike but really had high expectations. I wanted a tippy top marvel movie like Infinity War, Guardians 2, Winter Soldier. Instead it felt lower middle, closer to Iron Man 3, First Thor, Dr. Strange. Not as terrible as Hulk or Thor 2.

Each to their own.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The only bit I had a problem with was just a girl. It turned what should have been a decent showdown into an out of place, slap stick knockabout. It juddered into that tonal switch pretty unexpectedly so it just felt off to me. Also a cringeworthy song choice. It would have only been worse if they’d done Wannabe by the Spice Girls and she’d looked at the camera and shouted Girl Power when she’d beaten them all up.
  • Got my tickets for Endgame. I can't remember being this excited for a film in years!
    Gamertag: gremill

Having the same issue with Infinity War. Want to rewatch it before we go see Endgame next week, but Marvel seem to have yoinked it from all the rental places. It’s buy it or nothing.
  • poprock wrote:
    It’s such a pain in the ass to merely rent AntMan and Wasp.

Having the same issue with Infinity War. Want to rewatch it before we go see Endgame next week, but Marvel seem to have yoinked it from all the rental places. It’s buy it or nothing.

Some cunt bag in sales really earned his bonus if that's a genuine strategy (would not be surprised if it was - cant think why online rental would be pulled)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Have Sky Movies picked it up?
    If so they may have demanded it removed from other sources.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!