Prey - System Shock meets Metroid by Arkane
  • I saw something on twitter from the RPS crew that might be a spoiler I guess, about finishing it earlier:
    Spoiler:

He wasn't too impressed. I think the reception for this has been interesting and I am interested in playing it, something seem to think it the second coming of System Shock/Deus Ex, and others think it's a very pale comparison.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It is about 75% System Shock, 10% Bioshock clumbersome combat (which works in the context of the threats) and about 15% Metroid discovery awe.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I saw something on twitter from the RPS crew that might be a spoiler I guess, about finishing it earlier:
    Spoiler:

He wasn't too impressed. I think the reception for this has been interesting and I am interested in playing it, something seem to think it the second coming of System Shock/Deus Ex, and others think it's a very pale comparison.

Yeah - I did the spoiler thing...I wasn't impressed.

I think this game will be pretty divisive and it'll depend on how much you enjoy area exploration and trying to work your way through (unlike Dishonored which is very much about traversal) and also whether you can take the combat for what it is. I know a few people have been utterly hooked and others have bounced right off, and I can kinda get both sides there.
    It is about 75% System Shock, 10% Bioshock clumbersome combat (which works in the context of the threats) and about 15% Metroid discovery awe.

Pretty much.
  • Ultra speed runs are often death dull to me. When they beat ocarina in five minutes because they've worked out how to manipulate the ram to load the last level that is kind of neat but Boooooooring as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

The best ones are like super metroid where everything was doable but you didn't or hard games that take ages to do but in actual game are about an hour long.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I like the thought processes behind Any%, if only you know the amount of hours of legit effort speedrunners put into the Ocarina Any%. Its absolutely fucking insane, and they often incorporate skips not thought possible by a human. Windwaker HD's barrier skip as an example, for about ten years its been the holy grail and some mad man did it a few months back.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just had the first proper non-mimic jump scare. Done really fucking well tbh.

Just got the
    Spoiler:
  • three1ne wrote:
    . Quite like the idea of finding everybody. Yet to find someone who's alive.

That's so System Shock 2.  I gotta have me some of this.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Bought System Shock 2 in a Steam sale 2 or 3 years ago. Never got round to playing it and feel it's probably far too dated now to enjoy.

Have been playing this for 2 or 3 hours. Clearing out a whole area before I get on with the mission.

I love it.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I'm only playing ps4 on weekends so currently suffering withdrawal symptoms. Such a fantastic game.
  • 9 hours, incredible game. Got 4 or 5 side missions that I can't quite get to the objective on so gotta do a bit more main story, it really REALLY is Bioshock meets Dead Space meets Deus Ex meets System Shock but at the same time entirely its own thing.

Did a little girls scream last night as I was sneaking up on a phantom, didn't think anything of the canisters laid about as I was sneaking up on my prey, wrench out to smash it over his head then kinetic blast him, only to scream as I get surprised by 3 mimics doing the exact same thing to me-only letting me come to them. Brilliant.
  • Give me a "C", Give me an "O", Give me a "M", Give me a "P", Give me a "L", Give me a "E", Give me a "T", Give me a "E", Give me a "D".
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Did a little girls scream last night as I was sneaking up on a phantom, didn't think anything of the canisters laid about as I was sneaking up on my prey, wrench out to smash it over his head then kinetic blast him, only to scream as I get surprised by 3 mimics doing the exact same thing to me-only letting me come to them. Brilliant.

Hahahahahahahaha, what a pussy.
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm 10 hours in over two days it is consuming me, I'm only just up to Psychotronics ffs
  • I'm 10 hours in over two days it is consuming me, I'm only just up to Psychotronics ffs

Glad you're loving it - was a bit worried my hyping would bounce back on me but it seems to have gone down really fucking well here.
  • Give me a "C", Give me an "O", Give me a "M", Give me a "P", Give me a "L", Give me a "E", Give me a "T", Give me a "E", Give me a "D".

Cinty, are you retired? Do you have a day job? Where do you find time for all this gaming?

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    China has 30 hours in a day.
  • Cinty can stop time? Has a made in china sonic screwdriver?

How long?! Love it to the end?
    Verecocha wrote:
    Hahahahahahahaha, what a pussy.
    Spoiler:

YES! Not just me!!
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Give me a "C", Give me an "O", Give me a "M", Give me a "P", Give me a "L", Give me a "E", Give me a "T", Give me a "E", Give me a "D".
    Cinty, are you retired? Do you have a day job? Where do you find time for all this gaming?

I've been super busy, I've just dedicated 100% of my free time to it. Also...I might have played this instead of revising for my mid-terms, lol. :(
    Verecocha wrote:
    How long?! Love it to the end?

1st question:
    Spoiler:

2nd question...yes, but with certain qualifications. 

And now, a review - FULL of spoilers, but not many story spoilers (mainly mechanical)

Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Big enemy spoiler
    Spoiler:
  • I'm not seeing the hype just yet, early days though I guess. Just did Clavino's lab. I like that it is smart enough to let you do your own thing but clever enough to judiciously prod you through Jjanuary and computer screens.

I almost wish there weren't any mimics because i've seen loads and they aren't very interesting unless they're, well, mimicking, which they don't seem to be doing much. Even worse, - few times when then do they do it, they chose gonmorph in broad daylight and the game seems to bullshit them away somewhere else quite often.

GLOO gun is fun though. After the 'revelation' I tried to get all sorts of places but it's fiddly.

I blame cinty/10
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The mimics are a bit shit after the first few, but the other enemies make up for it.
    Spoiler:
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    After 6 hours or so i started questioning what i was doing with my time, being trapped in a cycle of scouring every room for scrap. For what? To turn it into ammo. They made it scarce on purpose giving it artificial value. Okay great, i have a full clip. But the combat is woeful, so where's the reward? So i'm sat there thinking "why am i jumping through all these hoops?". Case closed.
  • Regarding the combat:

It's perfectly possible to alter your character so that the combat balance changes massively. You being slow and cumbersome, coupled with fast, aggressive and powerful enemies puts you at a huge disadvantage, but a couple of neuromod paths in particular can completely turn that on its head and guns 'n' ammo suddenly become worthwhile.

I finished the game in an incredibly aggressive manner, getting right up in the face of even the most dangerous enemies and it was a glorious moment of vengeance after all that terror.

So, I think the cumbersome-ness is worthwhile, even if it causes people to get frustrated in the beginning.

For anyone who wants to know how to rek shit with guns:
    Spoiler:
  • Big enemy spoiler
    Spoiler:

Ha, regarding that I was caught completely by surprise and got smashed in seconds, literally.
  • Started this today and I'm totally digging it. Playing on PC is definitely making me think it's a proper PC game. Just seems like those old school of shooters. It probably also helps that I'm taking my time compared to the demo. Exploring and checking things out.

It definitely helps there's not some crazy sting every time a mimic appears. Although there does seem to be some awkward blending of some of the music.

Choosing the mods is super hard too as they actually affect how you're going to play. I love that in the first area there's something that can be done with whatever mod you first choose. Cool design.
  • #heretic #2cool4tempy

I want to give it more of a chance cos the start is some clever SciFi (though sadly I'd had it revealed to me earlier) but it didn't fill me with much confidence last night, though I did enjoy it.

I'll finish it and come up with a fuller opinion in time but It just feels a bit lacking in impact at the moment, which I think is I guess a problem with these games. Enemy design is really awful too, in concept they're great but they just look pants.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I will fkin hax u son
  • I've smashed every coffee mug in my house, loser.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!