#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    1. Bethesda Game Studios show off at least one of the new IPs they're working on.  Not only because I'm looking forward to seeing whatever it is they're cooking up, but because if they're still not ready to show something off now then the next Elder Scrolls game will be so far away that I may as well just give up looking forward to it.

2.  Can't say I'm dreading anything.  I'm far less cynical about E3 than most here.  I really enjoy it.  But I fear Microsoft might just show off the Scorpio but only have an anemic games lineup to back it up.  I want them to knock it out of the park this year.

3.  Iunno...lot's more info on Dragon Quest XI maybe?  Or how about a Dragon Quest Builders for Switch announcement.
    Get schwifty.
  • I give up.

1. Afgavinstan regaining hope
    2. Afgavinstan leaving the forum
    3. Afgavinstan becoming the chosen one
  • I want Wondeful 102
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • My potential future boss got to go to E3 last year and chose not to this year. Just y'all wait til 2018 thread, hosted by yer auld da.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Best thing I've read on here in a good while, especially the last paragraph.

Knew you'd like that bit.  The skinheads have taken Madonna hostage!

Plots in video games can do one. I just finished that Last of Us Left Behind. I'm pretty sure the first gameplay was throwing bricks with your mate at car windows.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There are plenty of games out there without plots, but they don't sell big because the market has unsurprisingly decided that it likes that most basic of human necessities: narrative, and that usually ends up mapping onto a plot. 

Thumper was one of the best games of last year and it had zero plot (although it, like everything, did have a narrative).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    There are plenty of games out there without plots, but they don't sell big because the market has unsurprisingly decided that it likes that most basic of human necessities: narrative, and that usually ends up mapping onto a plot. 

It's true, look at the disappointment that is MarioKart.
  • Usually doesn't mean always Yoss, or I would have said always.
  • i think games can do plot well but they need to tie it into the play to make sense. If I'm a passive guy in a story then fuck that shite (even if it includes "interaction" like uncharted).

Games like mgs2 and braid are amazing at mixing the plot into the game.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Usually doesn't mean always Yoss, or I would have said always.

I would have switched up its placement, so 'but they usually don't sell big, because... etc.

- Ed
  • Actually to be fair I have scrambled my meaning there, and the usually should be elsewhere.

Let's just assume, in future, that unless anyone is explicitly declaring the totality of something, that they probably aren't? Might save everyone a lot of time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm being a bit cheeky here, but there are tonnes of popular games where the story is either nonexistent or an afterthought. Most MP focused games for one, even if they have a SP, sports games obviously, even things like Doom where there's not so much a plot as a setup.

Sure, lots of big games have plots, but by my reckoning, I'd say just as many don't.
  • edit; no time for this actually - exam, whoops!
  • I've grown to love narratives in games, when done well. But there's plenty around that doesn't bother, so something for everyone.
  • I mean, I've gone from 10 Second Ninja X to Persona 5 - what a time to be alive.
  • I don't mind plots in games so long as they don't get in the way of the gameplay.

The Last of Us is a decent example, I enjoyed all the gameplay segments they're just far outweighed by walking and talking.

That balance seems to be getting worse and worse in modern games.

I was in a fucking Halloween shop in this game for about 10 minutes doing fuck all but put masks on and talk shit. What made it worse was that the prompt on the exit doesn't show up until you've talked x amount of bullshit. Of course I got stuck because I'd already gone up to the exit before I was allowed to so thought it was a dead end.

Shit like that is just not fun and I feel it's put in to artificially make the game longer instead of the developers actually having to do some tight game design.

Like I said I liked the gameplay in it, there's just not enough of it.

It's bullshit.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's not bullshit, it's a type of game you don't like.

Edit: I mean, don't play TLOU purely for the gameplay. It's never been particularly good.
  • 1. Mario Sports Superstars thing coming to switch
    2. Nintendo: "Due to the success of the switch, and brexit and shit, we're sticking an extra £10 on the RRP of our games. lulz!"
    3. Konami releasing a brilliant version of PES for switch, that plays even better than we remember 6 playing, and with simple, quick and smooth online modes for multiplayer action.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Shit like that is just not fun and I feel it's put in to artificially make the game longer instead of the developers actually having to do some tight game design.

Yeah, I disagree with this bit in particular. Just because it makes the game longer, it doesn't mean it's doing so just for the sake of it. It's not like games have to be a certain length. It's a game with a prescribed narrative, and the devs felt that sequence was important to the narrative.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    It's not bullshit, it's a type of game you don't like. Edit: I mean, don't play TLOU purely for the gameplay. It's never been particularly good.

Indeed.  I love that game completely, but it's not really for the way it plays.  It's the finest example of a narrative over gameplay game I've ever played.
    Get schwifty.
  • JonB wrote:
    It's not bullshit, it's a type of game you don't like.

Edit: I mean, don't play TLOU purely for the gameplay. It's never been particularly good.

But I like the gameplay and bought it off the back of critical acclaim.

Also is the gameplay isn't particularly good why did it get such high ratings?

Has the industry really evolved into narrative above gameplay? Gameplay is what makes gaming, it's something books or movies can never match.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Raiziel wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    It's not bullshit, it's a type of game you don't like. Edit: I mean, don't play TLOU purely for the gameplay. It's never been particularly good.

Indeed.  I love that game completely, but it's not really for the way it plays.  It's the finest example of a narrative over gameplay game I've ever played.

This is what blows my mind. You actually sat through and enjoyed something that you didn't think played well?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It played very well.  Not normally the type of gameplay I like, but the story and the excellence of its delivery kept me going all the way to the end.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There's no room for narrative in gaming. None whatsoever. Lets go back to the days of 3 buttons and parallax scrolling.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I mean I completely dislike TLoU and all of Naughty Dog's output, but it has its place and millions upon millions loved em. Its okay not to enjoy it.
  • Also is the gameplay isn't particularly good why did it get such high ratings?

Um... for the narrative?
  • Pretty soon we won't need pads and some genius developer will make it a completely passive experience.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Olimite wrote:
    That Switch wish list is pretty uninspiring tbh.

I have simple taste
  • Andy wrote:
    Also is the gameplay isn't particularly good why did it get such high ratings?

Um... for the narrative?

So something can have bad gameplay and get critical acclaim?

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I still stand by the belief that narrative was rarely in retro games because of severe limitations in size and capability of the machines, gameplay was the core mechanic as its something that would grab the player instantly, with a smattering of story behind it. Make the game colourful and the mechanics responsive, slap some bullshit on top about saving the princess/murica/whatever.

Still, top trolling retro.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!