ARMS House
  • Reviews are in.

Currently sitting on 79 on metacritic
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Sounds good.

Hoping Rave ends up caving so I can play this.
  • I'll be interested to see how well in translates to traditional controls.

I enjoyed it when I played it at an event but would never/rarely play it at home with motion controls.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I quite enjoyed the test thing playing with motion controls, although I did kill my shoulders with it.
  • It sounds like a bit of a SFV situation, albeit with most of the extra content supposedly free somewhere down the line.  I think I'll pretend it's 2003 and wait for the Edge verdict.
  • Those scores are very Splatoony. I'm in.
  • Eurogamer Recommended.
  • Eurogamer Recommended.

Sounds like the game I wanted and preordered.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think I'll pretend it's 2003 and wait for the Edge verdict.

Turns out I won't.  I had £3 off on Amazon so I ordered it anyway.
  • I'll be giving this a miss. Not my bag at all.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm well up for this. I think it'll will be very interesting when people learn to evade throws consistently.

Player spacing has to be on point. And it looks like the arcade mode has been designed to encourage people to learn this fact (i.e. it's hard).

Some reviewers have suggested there's a ceiling to the meta, as Escape suggests. But I think that's wrong, because the impact of distinctive 3D arenas and loadouts are new here.

That's going to add a competitive dimension that's going to take some time to ferment, I think.

I want to see how that develops. Capcom have experience in cultivating that dimension in play, but Nintendo, while capable of mistakes like anyone else, will probably want this to replace Smash... Which itself wasn't even considered a serious fighting game by Nintendo...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wanted to put this in the fightmans thread, but as I seemed to be the only one amongst their number who hasn't abandoned this, I'll post it here...

https://dotesports.com/fgc/nintendo-e3-esports-plans-arms-splatoon-2-14985

Alex Valle to headline the showcase tourney.
    His view will be interesting.

He'll sting heads early on at least, for sure.
  • I've preordered by the way.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm kopping Mario Kart either today or tomorrow, so I'll probably dip in a week after.

You'll need a headstart anyway...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Keep on posting those kinds articles dynamite, curious to read what the people with better mind /motion coordination than me can get out of this game.

Pretty sure I'll keep an eye on the stream too.

Haven't ordered yet, but want to go digital, any idea about file size?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's teeny tiny, 2.2 gigs
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    That's good. Only got an extra 32GB card, so that should easily fit on there. Needs to be easy to start up as long as I haven't finished Zelda.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The launch tourney was ok...

All the FGC veterans got rogered, and many games did descend into throw fests.

The standard probably wasn't as good as the Japanese preview tourney in March (see page 1), but the last two games, the final and the exhibition against the game's producer were interesting. 

That said, the other games leading up to them, barring Zerk's (some random Twintelle player), were borefests unfortunately. Was cool to see a demonstration of a form of juggling in the game though.

Indeed, when people actually learn their movement and countering options (as in the final exhibition game), this game will prove to be interesting. But like real boxing itself, competition between two highly skilled players may very likely induce sleep, until mistakes are made. 

Street Fighter-esque games are far easier to enjoy as a spectator.

But I still like this game alot.

Valle does too apparently. He wants it at Evo, but he might have been paid to tweet that...
  • It seemed like the pros had no real time to practice while the un pros obviously needed to have beaten people to get through.
  • What control method did people use? I found myself accidentally making throws when I was trying to do a quick one two punch, with motion controls.
  • They were all using motion but it's not a meaningful observation other than it would be a bad look for nintendos premier motion game being played at their own event with pro controllers.
  • Well, it was more a comment on games descending into throw fests than anything else.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Well, it was more a comment on games descending into throw fests than anything else.

Except for the last two games, where players had a clue, and some burgeoning load-out preferences.

At that level, people play the game more like a real boxing match, where they will favour throwing out the lighter equipped arm like a jab of a kind.

There's more to it though, as there are so many different arms, and the movement options (standard and character based) are so different.
  • I can't wait to get deep into trying out the different arms. I loved curling a punch round someones defences.
  • Arms is in the house
    (I'm at work)
  • i'm expecting some very creative baiting setups.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Arms is in the house
    (just got home)
  • Is now the time to say I don't get the thread title?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Arms is in the house
    (just got home)

How the fuck have you got an early delivery from Amazon ? That never happens
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!